1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Usman Garuba The Next Draymond Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, Nov 19, 2022.

?

Do you think Garuba is the next Draymond Green?

1. Yes, he will be a defense star for our team in the future.

27 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. No, he is just a high energy guy coming off the bench.

59 vote(s)
    68.6%
  1. amaru

amaru Member

Stop it OP lol

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Their games aren’t similar.

I do think Usman is going to be an amazing defender in the nba for a long time.

3. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Does jump kicks include crotch shots? If so, I agree.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, he’s the first Usman Garuba.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Yeah! How could I forget the eye gouges?

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Why do you hate Hakeem?

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

So you want Webanyama to come off the bench??

Interesting take. I guess they could experiment with that for a bit.

8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Oops wish I could edit that. Meant to say offense.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Hakeem is the #1 reason I'm a Rockets fan haha

I know I know it's really hard to hear because all these years I too believed individual rebounding is a huge metric. In reality it's a sub category of playing defense, and it's an even smaller sub category of offense. Assists, 3PM, FTM and blocks impact the game far more.

For example, Jalen Green should not be trying to up his rebounds. He should be first one back in transition defense, and first one to attack in transition offense. If he stopped doing this in order to generate rebounding stats (as a Westbrook does for example), the team is actually losing opportunities to use his unique skillset. He should fight for rebounds if they fall in his vicinity only. There are plenty of players who are elite rebounders (see Kenneth Faried) who cannot make any difference to the team defense or point differential.

For guys who have limited skill sets and need to raise their net impact, rebounding can be a good tool to soothe that issue. For guys that are anchoring a defense and want to make elite impact on the team's net differential, combining elite defense with the rebound at the end of the possession can definitely translate your defense to improved overall team defense, which helps your team win which in turn improves your net impact.

We tend to forget that the game is half offense and half defense and everything else is a component of these two things. Hakeem was an elite defender and dominant offensive player, that he was amazing at rebounds and steals is the cherry on top of an amazing skillset. Rebounding is not useless by any means, it's just in comparison it's the second least important boxscore stat.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Needs more mouth breathing, ball kicking, throt jabbing, eye scraping, and holding from behind.

Also, needs the ref to call those things only sporadically.

11. StrawberryJamm

More Kevon Looney than Draymond.

12. invocux

invocux Member

He's the next Shanghai Sharks 6th man.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Next PJ Tucker

14. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

More Tanoka Beard than D.Green

15. invocux

invocux Member

I don't understand how is he above average defender and also capable of fouling 4 times in span of 2 minutes. Some nights he makes Sengun look like an elite defender. He's a streaky defender. Same sh** when it comes to shooting. One week he shoots like Curry the next month misses his 52 consecutive shots from behind the arc.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Garuba, wont be still on the team next season Y

17. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Garuba’s got a good IQ, but Draymond is one of the smartest basketball players ever. As others have said, Draymond has better handles. But I can see some comparisons on the defense, rebounding and passing. Even if Garuba can become a very poor man’s Draymond with a reliable 3pt shot, that’s a keeper for sure. I’d love to keep developing him and see what he looks like in year 3. He was always gonna be our most developmental prospect; I’m intrigued by his progress. If he slims down more and improves his conditioning he’ll be even better.

But I get that lots of guys won’t be here next year. We better get decent value if he’s moved. He’s not Dashien Nix, he has real value.

fattz likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Garuba stinks. There’s literally 0 correlation between the two. Another embarrassing thread on cf’s

20. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

He has no role. Definitely can’t guard quick guys or centers. Can’t protect the rim. His shot went in a few times more than expected this season on 50 total attempts but I don’t even think he thinks he can shoot. Other teams certainly don’t. On offense, he might have the worst ball skills in the league.

He looks out of place in the NBA.

Boban is getting more run than him, tells you all you need to know about what the organization thinks of Garuba.

OremLK likes this.