1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don’t forget, Rafael Stone put this team together.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’m not saying Stone doesn’t have good moves. KJ was a great find. But can we not ignore context here? At the time of Tate’s extension, Tate was a better trade asset solely because he was prioritized over KJ with respect to playing time, and being labeled the team leader. KJ had to demand a trade in order to showcase what he was capable of. KJ always had this in him. And if it wasn’t for Tate’s mysterious ankle injury to start this season, who knows how the KJ situation plays out.

This is my overall point about Stone. With every good move he’s made, you can follow it up with a bad one. Yes he found KJ, but he has mismanaged KJ’s situation entirely up until this season.

And regarding those non-guaranteed contracts, yeah in theory they are low risk and you can possibly find a gem for dirt cheap. The problem is, Silas is playing Matthews, Nix, Bruno, Tate, etc. over the draft picks that should be getting those minutes for development. With Stone being heavily pro-player, and emphasizing family environment and culture, I just simply don’t trust him to do what’s best for the organization when it’s time to release those non-guaranteed players.

2. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I just disagree there. Day to day results fall on Stone as well. It would be naive to think Silas’ decision-making is not aligned with how Stone wants us to play. There was an article/report not too long ago that revealed how “hands-on” Stone actually is on a day to day basis, and that includes the starting lineup/rotations.

This KPJ experiment is on Stone, just as much as it is on Silas. Giving Bruno an extension, and then giving Bruno the starting nod over Sengun because KPJ needs a PnR/lob threat is both Stone and Silas. Stone viewing Nix as a lottery talent, and then Silas backing that notion by having Nix ahead of TyTy and Christopher in the rotation is another example. I can go on and on. Silas and Stone are on the same page; they are intertwined — which is why I think Stone deserves some criticism as well. I mean, he hired Silas to begin with man.

And we’re still TBD on Stone’s draft picks. We can’t say it’s dumb to write-off rookies before their first contract is up, and simultaneously give Stone credit for Garuba, Sengun, Green, and Eason. You can’t have it both ways. They are all still TBD.

Green > Mobley/Scottie is still TBD
    Jabari > Ivey, Mathurin, Murray, Sharpe is still TBD

burlesk likes this.
  3. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

4. thekad

thekad Member

Don’t forget.

The Rockets are STILL the worst team in the league. 4 years running, thanks to Rafael Stone and the Fertittas.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Silas was a fail. Our third year #2 draft pick is disappointing. Rebuilding pillars KPJ and Wood were fails. Subpar return on Harden relative to similar stars who forced their way out. Has not shown he can put together a good roster. Has not developed players well. Has destroyed organizational reputation. Is responsible for poor culture.

facts.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He's become an unmitigated disaster. I liked the guy, he seemed to be on the right track there for a while, but the wheels have fallen off. I think this franchise has tons of blame to pass around, but he definitely deserves his fair share of it.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Stone has mastered the art of losing. He just needs to learn the art of winning. You guys must be patient.

SamFisher likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Leave it to CF for the overreactions on game 1 lol

Corpusfan likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not like Harden was the bastion of culture before gimme a break. You think Philly now has great culture with both Morey and Harden?

persian hoopa likes this.
  10. i3artow i3aller

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Looks like some posters are out to squeeze

Blood from a stone

Easy likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It will take a while to shake off the long term consequences of having kpj as our pg and silas as our coach. Our youngsters are further behind on their development so it was quite foolish to accelerate into the next phrase of the rebuild. Stone is surely to blame if this rebuild fails. Hopefully ime is able to mold our youngsters, but that will take time.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

one game hindsight is awesome

The culture is great

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For those who say the coaching is responsible for the fact that the prize rookies (exempting Amen) of Jabari & Jalen look like bad value relative to their draft position and class (so far - it's still early for both) and not like franchise saviors we need -

what is it about the coaching of Jahmal Mosley, JB Bickerstaff, Will Hardy and Mark Daigneault that unlocked relative overachievement from 21 or 22 rookies like Mobley, Wagner, Walker Kessler, Jalen Williams, Josh Giddey?

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's an accumulation of things, that folks tend to disregard. We had a brand new a$$ coach who has no hc experience, we were trotting out a guard cosplaying as a pg and we had no actual legit vets to guide the youngsters. The culture also blows bc once again we were babying kpj and intentionally losing.

I can't say for sure that Jabari and green are guarantee franchise saviors but we did not put them in the best possible position to grow as players. No structure, no discipline no guidance no system, if we had something like that in place maybe we could have even prolong kpj career.

Before u even say oh look at sengun, why is he different from the rest man has experience playing as a professional player and already won mvp in his own league.