1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silas needs to be fired for the way he treats Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You and many others on this board appear to like Nix and Silas. Sometimes saying nothing and allowing the problem to go on or not supprting (and ripping) those with the correct view IS THE PROBLEM! Hakeem94 and Asheylem are the only two that have been consistent with the knowledge of what is needed to improve this turnover prone disaster of a team.

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes ashleyem the one who says green is a bust and Hakeem94 the one who says tanking is stupid bc u have an equal chance of finding hof talent at any draft position.

Stfu u guys have sht takes and I reject the notion that there are actually Nix fanboys on here defending his a$$

34to11 and harold bingo like this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

My apologies, I misunderstood your post….thought you were referring to Nix.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If silas bench sengun in favor of garuba for defense is that wrong. Yes or no?

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I too was upset with both Nix and Garuba coming into camp out of shape. I humbly and happily admit to being wrong about Garuba who played himself in shape out in Europe. I had always been a supprter of his prior to camp this year. Nix I supprted initially until I watched him get extended playing time and saw he had no speed to play the pg position at the NBA level. To top it off rumor had that he worked his arse off to lose weight and pick up speed. The opposite occurred and doesn’t matter that he turns over the ball 20% of the plays and can’t make free therows, etc….just sadly too darned slow for thie pg position at the pro level. He’s made some threes to his credit, but that has never been his trademark and since he can’t hit free throws, the three point percentage will be back to the low thirties (guaranteed) with the more playing time that Silas continually gives him.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The thing is, I don't know if Sengun is "the answer" or the second coming or whatever. But I feel like the FO has decided a player they traded multiple FRPs on is just not even worth seeing the potential of. There's no other comparison I can think of where you have a high draft pick who gets slammed by coaches in the media, shows lots of potential and flashes in the games while also having a downside, and who gets alienated out of the offense as consistently as him -- especially when the team sucks as it is. It's just so stupid, maddeningly so.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

@conquistador#11 broke it down above. You are the one making crap up. You have posted nothing to substantiate your haterade.

hakeem94, Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

His other coach? He was MVP in one of the best leagues in the world at age 18 under his other coach. FOH

berkowsk, Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's wrong because a) Sengun is the better overall player and b) they can play great together.

Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Considering we could barely score in the second half. Do you really think we needed defense?

#90 RHU525, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    hakeem94, Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I do have to wonder whether Silas is effected by bias in his decision-making. I think he looks at Sengun and erroneously sees "unathletic, slow, bad defense, backup center"... when instead he should see "high basketball IQ, playmaking ability, good defense, leader". Other than Jokic, there really haven't been many historical players with Sengun's unique skillset. Most people make decisions based on observations and experiences from their past. Silas has spent a career around much more "athletic" players and perhaps subconsciously values those players higher.

12. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

That's the problem in the states.
    We outsiders call it insularity when the natives soften and name it "American elitism". Funny.

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The first year and a half I preached patience for Silas. This is year 3, this is the last year of his trial. We haven't seen any growth. Such little growth that even though I used to preach patience I'd fire him now. I think he is actively hurting player development by being their buddy but not their mentor.

slothy420, Caesar and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Playing your best player lessens your chance of losing.......

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Read the comments. When he was under performing this offseason y'all wanted his other coach fired. It literally never his fault

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I mean the proof is in watching the games. Sengun is super foul prone and gets beat off the dribble alot

17. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Luka is flattered.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

what does super foul prone even mean? man doesn't even foul out

aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He had about 18 pts/9rebs/3 asts, a steal and a block in the Euros in 30 min/game, as a 19/20 year old who wasn't even the first option in the offense for most games. Could have probably done better, but if that is "underperforming", that only shows his potential. Haters like you cannot change that.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

One of the biggest differences in treatment I see is how Silas deals with Alpi when Alpi is having a great stretch. When KPJ or Jalen are "hot", he will allow them to keep going. When Alpi gets like 8 pts, 6 rebs in the first 7 minutes, he will yank him and not put him back in for an entire 12 minutes, making sure he is "cold" by the time he gets back in. I see this all the time. Silas will keep feeding the hot hand (or rather, let the hot hand continue to have its turn), but not if it is Alpi. It's one of the strongest indicators of Silas not wanting Alpi to shine too much.

aaquaa, AzerRocketsfan and hakeem94 like this.