1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should Jabari be benched or sent to the G-League?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Futron, Nov 16, 2022.

?

What should the Rockets do with Jabari if he continues to play sub par?

1. Bench Jabari and limit his playing time

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Continue to start Jabari and let him work his way out this funk

89 vote(s)
    78.8%
  3. Send Jabari to the G-League to be a main focal point

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. It doesn't matter, Jabari is looking like a bust

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The same thing happened last year when Jalen was not playing well. The guys need to get stronger and to regain his confidence. Stronger? Last year, Jalen started lifting weights with Rocket's trainer after most home games. Now that is dedication, but the coaches and Jalen said it help him. Jabari needs to lift weights after home games as well and the coaches and the players needs to show confidence in him every game and after every miss shot. Guys, he is a legit 3rd STAR on a Championship team with his shooting defense. We need to invest in our Third Round Pick, he has talent. we need to support him.

[​IMG]

Believe It! and DreamShook like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

If he dont deserve to play then he shouldnt period. Draft number is just a draft number, if playing level dont follow it has no sense. If he is so good he should outplay KJ/Tari. Btw then you wonder why Westbrook doesnt want to come of the bench while you want to cuddle players from the start. Let him learn its NBA not some jokes

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

I’d consider trading Jabari for someone like Johnathan Kuminga. I wonder if GSW would do that trade.

Futron and Jontro like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bari will have to rise above the incompetence of Silas just like Jalen did last year. I think Bari can do it. It will be much harder for him than Jalen since Bari can't dribble. Bari may have to go rouge and start setting picks for Jalen randomly outside the offense so he has the chance to get a pass or pick and pop.

Futron and Jontro like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

reported.

I think GSW would do that too. Bari in GSW's offense would be pretty great. He wouldnt have to dribble. a real system. Multiple players setting you up coming of screens.

His defense would shine too

also kuminga would be ass here too.

i3artow i3aller, Futron, Easy and 4 others like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Both sides would hangup

mac_got_this likes this.
  7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Remember when Harden said all Giannis does is run and dunk. We know that Giannis can do much more but that statement would perfectly describe Kuminga's entire game.

Futron, clutchdabear and Jontro like this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Bunch of BTg's gonna look funny this time next year. JS

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Still optimistic on Smith. Although I will probably stop posting that as I feel like I repeat it daily.

There are PLENTY of reasons to be concerned. I get it.

Id like us to get him 12 shots a game. 8-9 inside of structure (we currently lack) and let him improvise from the mid range a bit.

10. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

I remember making a post about his performance in the Summer League and everyone here was saying I was silly for my comments. Like I previously said, he's a poor man LaMarcus Aldridge, and his ceiling is contingent on another playmaker getting him easier baskets. Jabari haven't shown any promising playmaking skillset like Banchero (reason why he went #1 and Jabari dropped to #3)...In my opinion, KPJ needs to traded for a more traditional point guard, package EG & Tate to get some future 1st round pick to give more minutes to KJ and Tari. Oh yeah, fire Silas ASAP!!!

Futron, Jontro and mario_v like this.
  11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I dont know that there is a PG out there that is obtainable and fits what we want.

May very well end up being Henderson.

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I totally agree that this “system” is hurting his development.

I think it hurts all of our key players development.

My dream scenario:

Fire Silas.

Tyty - Green - Eason - Jabari - Sengun

Kpj - Gordon - Kmj - Tate - Garuba/Fernando

13. Nook

Nook Member

I have watched a LOT of Henderson. He is extremely competitive and he isn’t going to do what Green or Smith have done, he isn’t going to be shy or wait his turn. He has a very strong personality and he will be taking 15 shots and handling the ball from day 1 in the NBA.

Really strong player at getting himself into midrange and has a good mid range game. Pull up 3 is improving and gets to the rim well.

Problem is he has no idea of controlling pace or tempo yet and doesn’t quite have it down on how to control an offense.

lionaire and BigShasta like this.
  14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Can’t wait to have two “”Scoots” to hear people on this board complain about next season……

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

BigShasta and Believe It! like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

can we bench him in the g-league?

apollo33 likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe he'll rise above it if he stops believing that it's the coach's fault when he misses wide open layups, mid ranges and 3 pointers.

Futron, mario_v and apollo33 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lamarcus Aldridge was very good at midrange, I do not see it with Bari.

His bread and butter.

Especially now that the league is not shooting many 2s.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not just a number. Sure, there are plenty of high picks turn out to be busts. But the reason a player is picked high is because he is viewed to have high potential. If the team believed him to have high potential, they would prioritize developing him over lower picks who aren't projected to have a high ceiling.

Benching or sending a player to the g-league makes sense if it is beneficial in his development. Most players who are sent down right off the bat are low picks. High picks don't get send down because they have already dominated in lower competition levels. There is little benefit for them to continue playing on a lower level.

High picks also don't get benched a lot because they are usually picked by bad teams. Bad teams don't have a lot of good veteran players worthy of starting and their priorities are development over winning. This is exactly the situation with Jabari on the Rockets.

YOLO likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

G-League... not necessarily, but I do think like most rookies, he needs a restart to the season.

-Week to two weeks off to nurse any nagging injuries, take a break to mentally recharge, and start watching film with development personnel
    -Week to two weeks of training like you would in the Summer ramp up months
    -G-League "Rehab stint" of 3 or 4 games.
    -Come back almost like you would as a 2nd year player in a way.

It's a long season, and now would be a good time to play this card with Jabari. I think it's a process that works really well with rookies who are this young, and struggle a bit out of the gate. We forget how young they are, and what they actually need long term. He's been drinking from a firehose so to speak. Sometimes it's good to step back from what you just experienced, and refocus.