1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

To me it’s obvious you take Young # 1 and if it doesn’t work out then you still have a top pick and the CLE pick next year to move up and get Maye or whoever. Maybe we get lucky and the Browns keep sucking and we get two top 5 picks and can add Carter or Anderson as well.

NFL teams turn it around very quickly all the time. We need to invest some FA money heavily at DL and LB and continue to draft well.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is precisely the thinking why guys like Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler get drafted before Russell Wilson and why Brees wasn’t a 1st round pick. Both SB winners while being on the shorter side. I know you’re gonna say they’re not 5’10” but that one inch isn’t going to be the difference maker IMO. Is Young the first 5'10" QB to win a SB? No idea. But the Seahawks bet on Russell Wilson to be the first QB under 6' to win one and he should've gotten them two.

But going down NFL history to debate this is a very slippery slope. Year after year, QBs get drafted in the 1st round because they have prototypical size, arm strength, etc...But more often than not (and by a very very large margin), they don't pan out. Decades and billions of dollars have been spent trying to figure it out which prospects will be good NFL QBs and we are still nowhere near the answer. But of course Clutchfans has it down to a science.

3. raining threes

I'm not willing to bet against history and that's what you're doing if you pick Young. I try to learn from history not ignore history. BTW, it's not just that Young is short, he's also a small framed guy. Russ may be short but he's not small.

Living by outliers is probably what Cal will force Caserio to do. I'm thinking that the tradition of the Texans screwing up will continue due to the McNair's putting making money, which drafting Young will do, vs building a long term winner. This is just another Carr vs Peppers moment. History of owner interference will continue to doom this franchise.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the bet on hitting on an inside straight hits. Because that's what drafting Young really is.

Rudyc281 and Qan like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yikes! So instead of actually bolstering the lineup you'll use consecutive #1 picks on QBs? Has that every happened before?

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The only thing history has shown us is that drafting QB's is an absolute crapshoot. No one has any idea whether you are drafting the next Pat Mahomes or Jamarcus Russell. If we were able to look at history and make accurate assessments based on that, teams wouldn't be drafting guys Jake Locker, Jordan Love, Dwayne Haskins, Mitchell Trubisky, Josh Rosen, Paxton Lynch, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, etc...in the 1st round. There is an infinite list of prototypical QBs drafted in the 1st round that have been absolute busts. Tell me how you are learning from that?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

In what world does Bryce Young have a little "Deshaun Watson" in him? The guy is not very mobile and his escape instincts are not great for a guy who should have his head on a swivel every single play due to the probability that he could get squished. As the author states "my QB1" so I try taking these things with a grain of salt, but sometimes they just use bad analogies.

red5rocket, Qan and raining threes like this.
  8. raining threes

So nobody 5'10 and 186 LB's has been successful as in afccg/SB's.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Probably either way I don’t care. You keep trying until you hit on that QB. I advocated for defense this last draft since there wasn’t a worthy QB at 3. This time I believe Young is worth it. Plenty of DL don’t pan out in the top picks either. Point is we shouldn’t pass up a worthy choice now for what might be next year. This is different than last year.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I'm not a Texans fan but am a big Alabama fan. Have watched most games Young has played.

I believe in Young. I think Young and Anderson should go 1 and 2. My personal opinion on team building, I think there is some merit to the concept of taking Anderson this year and knowing that the texans will be poor enough to draft a quarterback at the top of the draft next year.

BUT Young has it and I project him to be better overall and more durable than Tua.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Nice thought but he wouldn't make past 2 or 3.

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If you believe that, you always, always go QB first.

raining threes likes this.
  13. HstnSprtsFan101

It feels like every game you turn on there’s a rookie or sophomore WR going nuts. Tonight it was Christian Watson & Treylon Burks. All the best teams have at least one stud at WR. The bust rate at WR seems very low these days. Olave, London, Wilson, Pickens, Watson, Burks, all basically became WR1 on their team by midseason. 2022 was supposed to be a weak WR draft class as well.

Nico isn’t that type of talent, Metchie could be that guy but there’s a lot of unknowns there. Would love to find our #1 in this draft. Quentin Johnston from TCU would be my first option right now.

red5rocket and raining threes like this.
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Maybe he likes massages

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Omihall23, stevel and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

raining threes, Omihall23 and stevel like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Davis Mills faints.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yall still riding with Levis?

20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Everyone gave up on Levis a month ago. The darling Drake Maye looked terrible today. Quinn Ewers hasn’t been consistent and Caleb Williams has his struggles. Bryce Young or Jalen Carter should be the play.