1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Somebody NEEDS to do something

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

start a petition . . . be part of the solution, not part of the problem

2. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

tumblr_nqv2yimldi1rfd7lko1_400.gif

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The organization has turned into big time losers year after year after year and not a peep from ownership. No actions taken and no one held accountable. All this for a 1 in 9 chance in the lottery which we’d still make with new coach, but at least we’d see there is accountability for years of poor coaching. Sometimes a change needs to be made to remind the fans you care!

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

In four weeks, I've gone from mildly excited to "Guess I'm gonna be watching a lot of World Cup."

5. i3artow i3aller

6. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yes credit to Morey and no one is saying otherwise. However he even admits there was luck involved since he couldn't plan for one of the most underrated assets in the league randomly become available. If that trade didn't happen, Houston was about to roll out the Lin and Lamb show (and note this was after Morey tried trading for a declining Gasol which would've had the domino effect of eliminating the chance to get Harden).

Alas things worked out the way they did. The larger point is it's irrelevant to bring up Morey as a criticism of the current team. Apples to oranges.

Where it is fair to bring Morey into the discussion is he has said that the NBA's lottery is still the best way to turn around a franchise quickly. Even with the changed odds in recent years, the rewards are worth it to be bad by design.

Advanced stats have caught up in the last decade across the league. I say that because teams are more aware of what they have so a trade like Harden likely won't happen again.

What the current Houston roster does have is high potential talent, unclear "leaders" or main "star", and an overall unbalanced roster.

It's less that they're "attempting to lose 70 games" and more they are being pragmatic. They aren't trying to lose, they just aren't all that great.

Next year will be an improvement and a referendum on Silas. They have flexibility and cap space. They'll either draft really well, sign some quality vets, make a splash trade or all of the above.

Maybe they make a huge leap in year 3 of Green and Sengun and a more reinforced/balanced roster. Letting Green, Sengun (and Smith et al) work through their flaws now will help tremendously as early as next season in terms of overall team success.

7. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Interesting to listen to, though pretty brain dead. The idea of needing "veteran presence" is probably overstated (especially when guys like Lucas are part of the coaching staff and Sengun steadily improving after working with Olajuwon).

A point guard would make a big difference of course. They can get that veteran presence next year when there's less incentive to tank/throw spaghetti at the wall.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Very few veterans can have a visible impact for a rebuilding team, I am sure they have an impact we can not see. We do have Eric Gordon and Boban, I think that is enough with Hollins and Lucas on the staff as well, two guys pushing 70 with a TON of experience. The issue is Silas, not veteran presence. I think if you are a young team that is contending, and you have a guy who has been there in competitive games and can act as a coach that helps, like what CP3 and Lebron will provide once they are not able to perform at a high level in a few more years.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Spurs still doing it right or nah with the great Pop? not so long ago cf's was raving about them. oh and detroit :rolleyes:

larsv8 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. TheBeastSystem

doing what we're supposed to do

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member