1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

You mean a Gerit the Cole?

2. the shark

the shark Member

"The market will dictate this"??

Listen, JV is a grown @$$ man and has free volition to do whatever he wants. Appreciate everything he's done while he's been an Astro, but to say the "market will dictate this" and that he has no say in where he wants to be and where he signs is total BS in my opinion.

Like I said before, would love to have him back on another two yr deal (the last two contracts he's signed with Crane were two yr deals and one of those two yr contracts he was paid 66 mil and pitched a grand total of 6 innings) but if he wants to go somewhere else because they gave you the most $$ then good for him but don't let the door hit your @$$ on the way out.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Uh...no... the late night shows air the same day they are recorded.

Nook, BigM and jayfree like this.
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Actually, they usually air the evening of the taping (done earlier) so the jokes are fresh with the new events of the day.

bobrek likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

He's reminding me more and more of Roger Clemens and Team Hendricks every day.

RunninRaven likes this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

Crane should move on and try to fill in those other roles first. Sounds like JV is going to get paid, so let's not get Beltran'd again. Astros have spots to upgrade.

CrushCity likes this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think we essentially get last word. Or I would hope so considering the positive nature of the last 5 years.

8. prospecthugger

I don't know the likelihood of a trade with the Mariners chasing the division title, but I think Jesse Winker is a nice buy low option that can split time between DH and LF with Alvarez.

9. Buck Turgidson

I would guess about zero

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. ktex

ktex Member

I don't think he even made their playoff roster.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

No wankers.

12. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I think he was injured.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

what would a trade for Vinnie Pasquantino look like? Their No. 1 prospect Nick Prato is also a first baseman…they could really jumpstart their team by moving Vinnie…it would hurt, but a deal could make sense for both sides.

astros123 likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

I would LOVE that. In fact I've mentioned him a few times. But I doubt it happens. Although suppose they are open to it, and believe in Pratto. Per reports, they want more RHH (along with pitching).

Astros get:
    1B Vinnie Pasquantino (Bregman-esque plate discipline with pop, 6 years of control left)

Royals get:
    RHP Jose Urquidy or Luis Garcia
    OF/2B Pedro Leon

Who says no?

awc713 likes this.
  15. prospecthugger

I think he didn't necessarily get along well with the Mariners coaching staff. Even in a terrible year, he was an above average hitter. There's a chance he's elite. If they add a 1B, I think he could fill the Brantley role. He could bat like 7th for the defending champions in the year before he's a FA.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

that seems light for 6 years of control. I was thinking something like Brown, Garcia, Leon, Lee, and a flier…but maybe I’m way off. I would think he’d be one of the most coveted trade assets.

astros123 likes this.
  17. HTown2017Champs

My thinking was, if Garcia is someone they are high on, they see him as an experienced (regular and post) pitcher with 5 years of control and ROY runner up under his belt. Leon can be the RHH. I don't think they need a catcher (they have Salvy, Melendez, and Rivero), so Lee probably won't interest them. Vinnie is probably the only guy (other than a fantasy Trout or Ohtani trade) I would be willing to part with Brown for. I am THAT high on him and I don't think his BB/K numbers are a fluke at all. I really see him as a lefty Bregman. If JV is brought back someone on the pitching staff may expendable, and proven commodities>prospects.

On a side note, he, like JV, is from Richmond, and chose to go to Old Dominion (Verlander's alma mater) because he idolized his fellow Richmonder growing up. Just saying.

awc713 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

This is part of the rift between Crane and Click. Last year when Verlander was a free agent, Click did not want to go over a set amount for Verlander. Click and the assistant GM were handling the negotiations. It didn’t look good. The Yankees and then the Blue Jays had offers better than what the Astros offered. Crane was not happy about it and called Verlander directly. It took awhile but Crane agreed to up the offer and Verlander agreed to return. Click was against some of the concessions.

It is another example, from the perspective of Crane where Click was “wrong” about his evaluation or at least overly cautious.

All of these decisions came to a head in the WS. From the outside everyone assumed the title guaranteed Click’s return but from Crane’s perspective, if he didn’t intervene numerous times, the Astros would have lost.

That isn’t to say Click was “bad” or always was wrong. Click’s patience paid off in the pen and rotation. He did some things really well… just not enough for Crane.

itzIce, the shark, Stoic Rob and 2 others like this.
  19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

call me crazy but Hunter Brown shouldn’t be in that trade or almost any trade- he has the same amount of control for starters and is the closest thing to a bonafide ace prospect. Dude should be nearly untouchable unless you trade him in a package for a superstar IMO

20. Nook

Nook Member

He is considered a really low effort guy that doesn’t work on his game.

You can get away with that when you are Lance Berkman but not when you hit like Winkler.

Stoic Rob and raining threes like this.