1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now we are just hoping that the #3 pick will just be fine?

mario_v and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sure. Most number three picks are just "fine" anyways. I'm still hopeful that he becomes something like a rich man's Trevor Ariza.

Stephen_A and SamFisher like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Blue seat Ryan Anderson with Ryan Bowen's compettiive fire and Ryan Hollins' sense of humor

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What do you want? I personally led the Banchero bus. It didn't happen. Arguing for Ivey of Murray at this point is leveraging hindsight to try to be a know-it-all.

I still think Smith ends up an elite shooter and a versatile defender. Im in favor of him sacrificing some perimeter defensive versatility to add weight and mass. I believe he can be an elite interior presence with weak side shot blocking(which has flashed this year).

Smith isn't Banchero sadly. BUT Smith is young as **** and has some interesting traits....

Weren't most of y'all ******** on Green this time one year ago?

Little Bit and Stephen_A like this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Adam Morrison was the #3 pick. So far Morrison looks like Jordan compared to Jabari.

6. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Tari Eason is the anti-Jabari Smith.

Eason creates his opportunities. Smith stands out passively waiting for our chucking backcourt to pass him the ball.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

mario_v likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I never shitted on Green and unlike Smith Green at least showed flashes at this point last year.

Just because you believe all of this does not make it so and Smith has shown none of the things you believe he can do.

He has never been an elite shooter, just a guy that was above normal for his height.

mario_v and Salvy like this.
  9. Rockets4Life13

I was in favor of getting Banchero aswell but I'm honestly just wondering how Smith would do on another team and how Banchero would do on the Rockets.

I'm convinced Silas puts his rookies in the worst spots imaginable and they look as poor as possible as a result.

I can honestly see a world where we get Banchero and park him in the corner on every posession and he looks like he's a bust because that's not his game at all.

Yes, Jabari has been terrible but the coaching staff and his teammates certainly don't make it easier for him.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

This rebuild is going to take at least 10 years if we keep drafting year 6 role players. The only positive thing from Smith so far is that he is trash enough right now to have a negative impact which means we get another shot at a top 3 pick.

mario_v likes this.
  11. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Too early to call him a bust or anything but I'm disappointed how he looks completely lost down there both offensively and defensively. I thought he would at least cover some of Sengun's defensive mistakes but man...he is quite weak, and doesn't know how to take his position at all. Let's give him time but I wouldn't mind replacing him with Garuba or KMJ and coming from the bench for him would be beneficial until his adaptation to the NBA level.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

we need a jump to conclusions map on clutchfans with electro-shock attached. everytime a poster jumps to a conclusions - they get shocked and can't post for 24 hours. each successive foul post earns a higher voltage and longer down time spell.

no matter how much everyone wants everything the way the want it at this moment in time and point in space - there is such a thing as development that has to occur. And not just over 5-10 games.....

Little Bit likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

**** happens, Wiseman is now in the Gleague

DreamShook and jiggyfly like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honestly, if Jabari doesn't pan out, that is a terrible thing for the Rox and stone.....

DD

mario_v and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is f***ing 19 years old. He has shown flashes 16 rebounds 2 games ago. He also has some pretty amazing blocks. You guys are way more immature than his 19 year old ass.

Little Bit likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is true, I realize it's all a gamble.

This just seemed such a foreseeable thing, even when I had talked myself into saying it was the safest pick.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wel the hype didnt say so...they marketed him as second coming of jesus basketball christ...so powerfull, wise, amazing, a sniper, elite defender. most ready for nba and what not...
    lololol
    cant wait for victor to show us his real colors as well

mario_v likes this.
  18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

He does deserve more time ... Yao looked like the biggest bust in his first few games too. The problem I have with Jabari is his attitude. Most 3&D guys hustle their guts out when they're not getting or hitting their shots. It helps them get their confidence up as they impact the game in different ways. Jabari gets all woe is me too much for my liking. We all know coaching and Black Hole Jr doesn't make it easy for him but he has to focus on what he can directly control. For a supposed gym-rat with a great attitude, he certainly is not showing it on the court.

Honestly, I feel it would be better off for HIM and the Rockets if they started Tari and/or sent Jabari to the Vipers to fire off some shots and dominate a few games to get his confidence up. We also need to start accepting the fact that there are major busts in every draft ... and maybe we've got Darko instead of Wade/Melo/Bosh.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well posters just mirror back what they were told by the media...media was jumping to conclusions for 2 years straight... and now its our turn....

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS