1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I think this is more of Rizzo's agent leaking this information to get the Yankees to pay up. Everyone knows Houston needs a 1B.

At the end of the day, I believe Verlander will be back. Crane is involved, and he loves him some Verlander. I hope it's not a deal that will hurt the franchise long term.

desihooper, BMoney, BlindHog and 2 others like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Deadline to set rosters for Rule 5 protection is 5pm today, so we should see at least a couple of minor moves. But there’s always potential for bigger moves to get moved up to accommodate this deadline.

3. Landry's Tooth

Rosenthal reporting Astros in on Abreu and Rizzo.

Rizzo better for pairing lefty/righty if Yuli back but i prefer Abreu...

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't see them going with Ausmus.

As for the Passen and Rosenthal's articles, we knew the media was going to write some hit piece. Let's be honest, the media will always find something to write about the Astros. It's what gets them clicks.

As Nook and others have shared, there were issues well before this season started. Crane has every right to fire or let someone go. These jabs about Crane being like Jerry Jones is stupid. Unlike Jones, Crane is listening to people on the baseball side of things and not make executive decisions like Jones.

Crane deserves as much rope as he wants. He wants to win and hopefully this offseason we will see that it isn't all talk. If nothing gets done during this offseason to upgrade this team, then Crane will hear it.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Ivy league education 30 years ago /= recent Ivy MBA well-versed in data and analytics.

Ausmus has been around the game a long time and is a bright guy, but there's a ton of baseball stuff in which he has no experience: amateur scouting, international scouting, development, contract negotiations, managing non-player groups etc...

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just don't see Ausmus as a GM. I think he's here for a front office job, but the GM thing was just more BS to make the article more dramatic.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Verlander's price is too high, I'm starting to think Degrom would be a good consolation prize. The injury history is a concern but having a 6 man rotation with additional rest days if needed may keep him more healthy.

raining threes and CrushCity like this.
  8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Agreed - he could be a Manager or advisor (if any role) but best to let someone with front office experience and expertise in analytics run the front office. As a "front office executive," it is a 24 hour job that requires a lot of management, processes, etc and it is rare someone can just fall into that and be effective. Typically one needs years of office/executive experience to really get a handle on it, and to certainly be a good leader in the role.

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Ausmus is likely the manager in waiting once Dusty moves on. He’s not a GM. I favor Sig at this point.

raining threes likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think from now on the GM will be someone who has relationships with other front offices, identifies team needs, scouts/recommends players, and manages the coaches/administrators in the organization

But Jim Crane handles negotiations and salary decisions.

raining threes likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah all that education helped him with his 386-422 record as a manger too.

I honestly don’t care about his managerial record to be honest. I was just kind of kidding. I want someone forward thinking, open to data and analytics with experience in the front office. I don’t think he’s that guy.

Nook likes this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

Interesting thread on Yuli’s struggles…

maybe we go after Christian Walker with our pitching depth, a good ole reunion w/ Strommy makes sense. Resigning JV, trade for walker, slot Yuli to Diaz role…ink Brantley and call it a day.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  13. raining threes

Because most here want a guy like Luhnow to be the GM.

Hence a Luhnow disciple like Stearns or Mejdal. It appears Crane also wants that type of management and that's a good thing. IMHO

I think Crane thought Stearns would be available and isn't going to fill the GM position until after next year when Stearns contract with the Brewers runs out. If it was me I would hire Mejdal. But Crane has a great record when it comes to hiring successful people.

Do you have a problem hiring ruthless Luhnow disciples?

kdchilds likes this.
  14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do not agree that anybody is interested in paying 3 or more years at 40m with or without additional options for a forty year old player. and if they are I wish them luck, they will need a lot of it.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  15. Yordan The Great

Fun fact: There are only 2 players on an MLB roster that bat right-handed and throw left-handed. And they are only 2 of less than 60 players in the history of the game that can say that. They are both on this Astros team.

16. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

I hope not

JeeberD, whiskeyred and mikol13 like this.
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Nice factoid. Chassy Fizz was easy. The other one... not so much.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's easy... it's Framber

19. Yordan The Great

Then the contract needs to be structured as 1 million per start. That's as far as I would go with him. Buyer beware indeed.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...L-Cy-Young-offseason-free-agency-17586759.php

• Multiple people familiar with Crane's thinking said he's set something of a limit in negotiations with Verlander. An exact dollar amount is unclear people familiar with Crane's thinking peg it around two years with anywhere from $30 to $35 million average annual value. This is not to suggest Crane won't exceed these figures, but it's where some around him said he is, for now, settled. Verlander won't command a contract of that length, but a three-year deal somewhere isn't out of the question. Many in the industry used Max Scherzer's contract as a rough blueprint for Verlander's next deal. If it comes, it's apparent it won't be from the Astros. Crane has questioned the Scherzer contract privately, according to people who work with him, making it unlikely the owner would construct a similar one. Before last season, Scherzer signed a three-year, $130 million deal that carried a $43.3 million average annual value.
    • Houston has more urgent needs at first base and designated hitter. Crane may be more inclined to splurge there to upgrade an offense that, toward the end of the season, became too top-heavy and righthanded. The team has strong interest in Willson Contreras, people familiar with Crane's thinking said. First baseman Anthony Rizzo has emerged as a top target, too, according to The Athletic.

Stoic Rob, mikol13, Nook and 2 others like this.