1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think it’s a negative to say he’s a scorer first, that’s what I want him to do. He can make some plays but he isn’t a Luka/Harden type facilitator and that’s perfectly ok. Kobe wasn’t either. I don’t mean that as a negative, he will have some high assist games because of his ability to drive. But he isn’t a guy that will consistently make plays for others, and I’m totally good with that. Get buckets

#4601 cmoak1982, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    hakeem94, O-dawg and Ankara1923 like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi is still our best player. Bad coaching and a bad game (or several) will not change my mind.

3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

No doubt.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nah. I don't think any player has seperated themselves as best player. Green has the highest ceiling due to his defense collapsing ability from his elite seperation off the dribble.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good Sengun breakdown.

DD

bmelo, Jontro and arno_ed like this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Green is our best scorer but doesn't mean he's our best player. Cuz he literally does nothing other than score.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He has arguably been the Rocket's best defender this season. It's apparent watching him play, and the stats (although do not show a complete picture) seem to reinforce this too.

[​IMG]

Of course, these stats do not necessarily tell the whole story, so we can also check them against last season's numbers. Green visibly struggled on the court defensively for most of the season last season, and the numbers also show this. Green was practically the worse defender on the court last season, but he's improved dramatically.

[​IMG]

I still think Sengun has been the best overall player this season, but Green has closed to gap significantly and he's practically the only player (other than Eric Gordon) on this team that can play both sides efficiently.

hakeem94, O-dawg and RudyTBag like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Talking about individual defense on one of the worst teams defensively is a reach at best, we should talk when the team is closer to 0.500.

We realize that you can only improve if you have been one of the worst....there is no other way....

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

As I said, these stats do not show the whole picture, they are supplementary. In addition, the sample size is still small.

However, compared to last year, looking at players who have played consistently this season:
    1. KPJ has worsened this year, from opponents shooting +4.3% to +7% better. A 2.7% difference. However, the difference is small enough to chalk it up to sample size.
    2. Sengun worsened this year, from opponents shooting +3.2% better to +6.8% better. Like KPJ, sample size is still small, but a 3.6% difference .
    3. Gordon has worsened slightly this year, from opponents shooting -4.8% worse to -2.4% worse, but overall still a positive, and a 2.4% difference.
    4. KMJ has worsened as well, from opponents shooting -1.2% worse to +4.4% better, a 5.6% difference.
    5. Every other player hasn't played enough games to quantify, or they weren't here last season.
    However, Jalen Green went from opponents shooting +6.9% better to -3.8% worse this season. Compared to every other player, Green didn't just have the biggest improvement, he swung from team worse to team best. A whopping 10.7% difference, significantly bigger than any other player (both in terms of regression and improvement).

cmlmel77, daywalker02 and O-dawg like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL anyone can bring the ball up buddy... spare me brainless nitpicking...

imho you have a sensitive name so you have to put alpi down a lot not to be accused of being SOF lololol

its ok you do you and keep being afraid and balancing..pardon me if i got this wrong..its just a feeling....

as for handles alpis handles are good enough ALREADY and if given the role in a month or 2 or at least in a year or 2 will be perfect...

slow for transition? i saw alpi going coast to coast in a crowd of players and score or assist...

As for guarding other guards, even Luka and Harden have trouble guarding other guards YET THEY ARE STILL ELITE PLAYMAKERS

he doesnt even have to do that all the time...he can guard other players just like harden or find another way to make up for it...its minuscule hassle in comparison with the ABUNDANCE OF PLAYMAKING SCORING AND POSITIVITY ALL AROUND THAT WE GET with alpi being the lead guard...

11. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen average assist this season - 2.8
    Alpy average assist this season - 2.0

I'm not going to get into the who's best debate because as I said I think that's silly, but you folks really need to stop with the hyperbole regarding Jalen. The kid is not just some chucker looking for his shot only, when he see's an open teammate he makes the pass and has been getting better at making the right pass (needs to cut down on TO's).

When he puts it all together he will able to consistently get his shot and create for others... 30+ points and 6 assists... you don't see many 20 yr old second yr players doing that.

Jalen is good. Alperen is good. When they become more consistent they both have the potential to be great. Until then I guess every time they have a good/bad game you'll have silly threads (and comments).

Stoic Rob, cmlmel77 and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

Jalen actually has a chance to be a really good 2 way player, unlike…..

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While I give credit to Jalen's D on CJ, I realized CJ is a midget of a SG at 6'3.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is no clear cut "best" player on the Rockets yet.

Eric Gordon would be our best player when he is motivated. But he is now just going through the motion until he gets traded. That leaves Green and Sengun. Last season, Green was better. This season so far, I see that Sengun has improved a lot and it is hard to say who is better. They are so different. Each has strengths and weaknesses that need to be fixed. The bright side is that I think they can play well together.

cmoak1982 and O-dawg like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you forget one thing... this is 2nd year of jalen playing for a coach that adores him and let him play tru his blunders and gives him PLENTY OF PT

alpi played perhaps only 2 dozens of real nba games
    hes the real rookie here and jalen is sophomore almost given key to the franchise...its easier to show promise when you are allowed all of that

you also forget jalen looks good only when his 3pt shot is on...still doesnt translate to wining and better overall teamplay

this is a flaw of players relying on 3pt...steph curry is unique...other 3pt shooters struggle in po and otherwise because 3p is a volatile beach and you cant control it...(even steph often struggles)

2 pointer is the real deal... jalen should work on that...

yes, who is better is somewhat silly debate but

1 on 1 alpi would have annihilated jalen...like he wouldnt stand a chance in hell

and you want 5 on 5 and TEAMPLAY? alpi is the king of teamplay!!

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol you cut him a lot of slack here..alpi has been punished for playing good defense..you think hes motivated to play defense?

1 on 1 alpi would have killed and annihilated ego.....even alpis handles are better than egos...he would have never got that ball back first time he misses a 35 footer and he misses it a lot...

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No doubt that Green's defense has been really good. All you need to do is to look at his defensive dashboard

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1630224/defense-dash

43% FG% defending overall ( 3.6 better than average)

31.6% defending 3pt shots ( 6.7 better than average)

50.6% defending 2pt shots ( 2.1 better than average)

56.7% defending less than 6ft from hoop ( 4.5 better than average)

50.7% defending less than 10ft from hoop ( 5.5 better than average)

34.8% defending more than 15ft from hoop ( 4.3 better than average).

He's learning how to use his speed on the defensive end. Such an improvement from last year.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

somebody give me per minute or per 36 production

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member