1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This is the QB we NEED

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Anyone who remotely follows college football knows Bama isn’t fielding the most talent this year.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No doubt. If he’s there you gotta take him

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If I felt like going back and looking, I wonder if the same people pining for Maye (and the next year's class) are the ones that were dreaming about Bryce last year. There were a lot of them.

It's an interesting case study. Especially because it happens every year. And not just here.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not me. I think Bryce is stupidly talented and is everything I look for skillset wise. But he is too small. I didn’t want Stroud, partly because there’s no track record for Ohio St QBs and I don’t think he’s a new age QB.
    Levis is all tools but seems like he’s dumb as a box of rocks.

Maye and Williams are better than any QB in this draft. I personally would take Maye because of size and arm talent. But if you give me either I would trade both firsts this year for them

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

As of today, we are looking at the first overall pick, probably a top 10 pick from the Browns, the top pick in Round 2, the top pick in Round 3, and then the Browns 3rd round pick which should be around the 10th pick of Round 3. Possibly 5 picks within the top 73 picks. Plus we get John Metchie back next year. We are going to have a super young team in 2023, but we should see a serious infusion of talent.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I get it, and I think it's all fair.

If Young was 6'3 220lbs, he'd be one of the better propects that has come out in a while. I think you've got to look past it, for better or worse.

I think, about the future prospects, that as these guys undergo evaluations, they get torn down and people convince themselves they have all these flaws, and there's always someone better next year.

That being said, both of those guys look like great prospects.

I will also say this about Stroud : I don't hold his school against him at all. I haven't watched him play as much as Young, but I'll say it now, I wouldn't even debate on who is pick between the two. Young all the way.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s only one QB I would take this draft in the first and that’s Young. I think he has everything you should look for. I have extreme worries about his height and frame.
    And you’re right, there would be a no doubt no brainer pick if he was 6’3 and 220

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

I'm thinking the Texans will have a top 5 pick. They will have the ammo to trade up a couple of spots if needed. Maye/Williams.

11. raining threes

He doesn't want to bring up this part of the what if game,

What if Young and Stroud aren't all that? For different reasons.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. raining threes

How many QB's under 6'0 have been successful in the NFL.

13. raining threes

Or what I fear, Cal will make Nick draft a QB for marketing reasons.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

How many QBs over 6’0 have not been successful??

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I see it. Maye has that Mahomes-esque arm talent and maneuverability. Great size for the position. I think Im about 99% convinced that this team should forego QB this draft and load up the defense until 2024.

I think if you're worried about Stroud because of the OSU reputation then you should likewise be wary of the UNC pedigree with Trubisky being one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Just saying. Personally I dont look at things like that and with Justin Fields emerging as one of the best dual threat QBs in the NFL it may lose some of its debate luster. CJ Stroud is still the most accurate QB in NCAA football when I watch the games. His inability to become mobile when needed most is what is cooling me on his draft stock - especially here where it could get real noisy in the backfield.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

What if Maye and Williams aren't all that? None of us know for sure who will be successful in the nfl. Plenty of qbs with more physical tools than Drew Brees have come into the league and didn't have his success. The qb position is a crapshoot ultimately. I personally am not a fan of betting the future on a small possibility that everything works out in my favor when I already have a great hand. If you have the number 1 pick this year, that's a certainty that you can pick a possibly great qb over hoping that somehow you have one of the top 2 picks next year and/or a team is willing to trade out of those spots, and all of that assuming that Williams and Maye are still just as great next year. That's alot of variables to hope and dream for just to take a qb that at the end of the day is still a gamble and could still be worse in the nfl than Bryce Young.

gucci888 likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Young is a good enough prospect to take and invest in. There is too much unknown and factors outside of their control to wait for a shot Maye or Williams next year.

Omihall23 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn look at that throw

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He wasn’t even set right either

Fulgore likes this.