1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Move Green to PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Nov 12, 2022.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why not sengun?
    hes best at it on the rockets, at it AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE

Joe Rocket likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun can be our Point Center but Silas will not allow this. Silas does not even want to start Sengun.

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We are putting too much on Green plate. All the great scoring guards, Jordan, Kobe and Harden always had their hands on the ball at the end of the game and they had good point guards who gave them the ball the spot they wanted. Again, Porter is a small forward or a 6th Man but not a point guard.

albuster and xaos like this.
  4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

What made you think that?

hlmbasketball likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

And you don't need to be converted to a point gaurd to improve playmaking lol.

I think I get what you're trying to say more than you probably understand what I am trying to say, so maybe I could elaborate more.

Every scouting report about Green talked about how he could lead the league in scoring. He has a triple threat league-leading scoring potential. He still is trying to figure out how to reach that potential. He has shown flashes, but as of now he isn't close to his potential (i mean that as a compliment). There's a lot for a young player to figure out in the league. Throwing him out there as a full time point gaurd would be overwhelming, misusing his untapped potential, and even knock his confidence or even worse, the confidence of those around him. When he is on the court I want him to know it's his team and his team needs him to score more than anything else (im general). That doesn't mean he couldn't succeed as a "score first" point gaurd. I just don't think it's the right allocation. I'd rather see him grow as an unstoppable scorer who could add playmaking to get to "that next level" as opposed to incrementally growing everything all at the same time and not really being great at anything. Not saying in order to improve as a scorer you can't also work on being a better playmaker when the other team stops you. But as a point gaurd there's responsibilities that does inhibit you from being a score first player.

Also, I do agree that KPJ isn't the answer at point gaurd and that there are times where KPJ stunts the growth of those around him by forcing them to be dependent on him when they don't need to be.

For what it's worth, you may be spot on and I could be way wrong.

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

DD's one of the few people on here I actually do know who they are. He's a good dude for sure, might not always agree with him but I've had much better back and forth discussions with him than a lot of people on here if I'm honest.

HP3, Corrosion and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

other than his unfortunate tendency to call complete strangers on the internet "stupid," his heart most of the time seems to be in the right place

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. Asian Sensation

Year 4 in the league. 5.8 Assist to 4.1 TO ratio. That’s really bad as a starting pg and his usage. He’s regressed with ball handling and security compared to last year.

albuster likes this.
  9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

In what areas do you feel that he's shown tremendous improvement?

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Jalen has the ability but deciding what he is not before giving it a chance is as I said shortsighted.

xaos likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Just his vision and passing. No, I dont have any metrics to show that. I just feel like has done a better job of running the team. And I feel like through 10 games last year he looks way better now than he did then.

I dont know how to filter the stats for that though(lol maybe you could enlighten me there).

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Sure. I want Green bringing the ball up and holding it more on the perimeter. I want the offense to run through Alpi as a primary option. Green, KPJ and even Smith jr will eat off of open shots eventually.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This is his 2nd yr playing the PG position full time. In Cleveland he played the SG and SF.

I would feel better if he had a veteran backing him up but he needs to settle down and watch more film

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ahhhhhh, good ol' Clutchfans! Expects their team to be one of the worst in the league. Yet when they're playing like one of the worst teams in the league, we still think we can help them. Knowing all along that there's nothing we can do. LMAO!

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"I dont think anyone can fix whats going on in Brooklyn" - Nick Wright
    "I was wrong" - Nick Wright after a few games with Vaughn as coach.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I trust Jalen and Sengun way more than I trust KPJ with the ball.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Most of the common stats can be found here:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/advanced

Passing Stats here: https://www.nba.com/stats/players/passing

On most all of the nba stats, you have alternate options at the top (example: the first two links are the same page, with a different option selected - "traditional" on the first and "Advanced" on the second.

Most of the stats also offer an "Advanced Filter" option where you can filter by things like teams, game situations and date ranges and season. An easy way to see Rockets only stats is to filter the Team to "Houston" . That's how you filter the stats for particular situations.

There's a few stats that are only available beneath the player's profile. Go to "https://www.nba.com/players" and search for the player you want. Then click on their name and then select "Stats" from the players's page.
    The stats default to "Profile" but you can change to "Tracking" to see defensive metrics on different shots, breakdowns of who the player passes to and gets passes from, breakdown of rebounding stats and stats on all type of shots. There's also a menu option called "Matchups" that show how a player performed when guarding a particular player or when guarded by a particular player.

Here's the "Defensive Dashboard" for KPJ :
    https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629645/defense-dash

There's quite a lot of stats available. Go to stats.nba.com and look under the "Players" menu. Play around with all that's there and explore a little bit. You just need to learn what's there and how to get to the stats that you want to see.

As for KPJ, he's playing about 3.5 more minutes this year but most all of his stats are down from last season. HIs issue has always been that he's inefficient - both in shooting the ball and in passing. That's what he needs to improve. So far, he's been slightly worse this year rather than better.

Here's a comparison of some of his key stats from last year to this year:

Stat '22 '23 Difference
    -----------------------------------------------
    Min 31.3 35.0 +3.7

PTS 15.6 19.2 +3.6

FGA 13.2 15.9 +2.7

FG% 41.5% 41.5% 0

3PA 6.8 5.6 -1.2

3P% 37.5% 34.2% -3.3

AST 6.2 5.8 -0.4

TOV 3.1 4.1 +1.0

AST/TO 1.96 1.43 -0.53

EFG% 51.1% 47.6 -3.5

TS% 53.1% 52.6% -0.5

Currently KPJ's TS% is worse than Westbrook's ( 52.6% to 53.2%) ,his AST/TO ratio is also worse than Westbrook's ( 1.43 to 1.8) and even his 3p% is worse than WB ( 34.2% to 36.2%). That's got to improve if he's going to have the ball in his hands so much.

Right now, as a team, we turn the ball over way too much. Also, we have to work much too hard for most of our scores. We don't get very many easy baskets. Too many times we make a comeback and get back in the game only to come down and have somebody turn it over or take a really hard shot ( and it's not only KPJ). What we're missing is somebody to settle us down and get us to run our offense and to get a good shot when needed.
    What we don't get a lot of currently is assists on balls passed towards the rim. The vast majority of our assists come by throwing the ball to the perimeter. That's fine, you need that, but you also need some of those easy scores like we used to get with Harden and CP3. That's the area where we need lots of growth.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Thank you for this man. As always your posts are extremely informative and valuable.

19. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Playing Green at PG doesn’t mean we want to convert him to a full time PG. He can improve his handles, and play making skills. Those will be needed for a scoring guard as well.

For what seems to be a wasted season already, I’d definitely put Green’s development over KPJ. Not to mention Sengun and Jabari. Silas puts Sengun on the bench just for KPJ. And KPJ always overlooks a wide open Jabari for whatever reason. Those guys’ development is critical to our team’s success too.

20. dmoneybangbang

I don't feel either Green or KPJ are capable of being point guards.

albuster likes this.