1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Montero Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketlaunch, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I suppose it’s a pricey hedge against the vagaries of RP from year to year. Who knows if Neris and Abreu will be as good. What if Pressly’s knee acts up again and at the wrong time. Is Stanek gonna set that Astros bullpen ERA record with that big WHIP? An army of quality leverage arms plus Martinez and Maton stacks the odds that whatever we have next October will be really good. If it all breaks in our favor, it will be elite and an embarrassment of riches.

Nook, Stoic Rob and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If Pressly doesn't bail out Montero in the 8th inning in Game 5 of the World Series... and we go on to lose the game with Montero getting the L... does this contract still happen? Probably not.

3. conquistador#11

Though I think it's a bit high, happy for Montero. The difference a year can make. Last season you could get Montero as throw in with some Big League Chew. Now, he is worth the market value plus an extra $3 million bonus for winning the world series. That's how I'll see it, bonuses.
    [​IMG]

4. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I'm fine with this as long as Crane is willing to go into luxury tax. I still want J.V., Brantley, and Abreu.

CrushCity likes this.
  5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

3 year deal for a 32 yr old reliever.. hmmm

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It just shows that Crane is willing to blow money as long as there is no long term commitment. JV will get his contract as long as it's 3 years or less.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I also think Crane is being realistic and this season is his all-in shove because he knows there will be some big decisions after 2025. Altuve, Bergman, Tucker, Verlander and the rest of the pitching staff. Contracts will be up or our stars will be really old.

joshuaao and Jake Tower like this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

I second this. He started to look gassed. Not to mention, the bullpen is already a huge strength, and we have a lot of money tied into it already (Pressly, Neris) AND depth (Abreu, Stanek, Martinez, even Maton). Plus relievers are extremely volatile year to year. Would rather spend the money elsewhere. But I trust the team.

9. the shark

the shark Member

You are clueless!!!!!!

FACTS.

He pitched in ten games.
    9.1 IP

In half of the gms he was clean (NO hits and NO walks).

SEA GM2 he allowed NO hits. Yes he had 2 bb but this was over 1.1 IP.

SEA GM3 he had NO BB and only 1 Hit.

PHI GM2 he allowed one hit and walk over 1.2 IP.

He had two bad gms out of the TEN he pitched and one of them (GM5 against PHI) was the FOURTH time that PHI saw him in less then a week.

"Half the games he had traffic"????

Oh my God he gave up a hit he must suck.

FACT!!

ANY team in mlb would take a guy who only gave up 2 r in 9.1 innings in the postseason (ALDS, ALCS and the WS).

You can keep going with your nonsense....

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Decisions based on one game! Smart business!!

itzIce, Bregatron and everyday eddie like this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

One more thing. Edwin Diaz, who many consider to be the best closer in mlb. This postseason.

Gm2 against SD.
    1.2 IP
    1 H
    1 BB

Gm3 SD
    1.0 IP
    1 H

Oh my God he had traffic in both games he pitched!!!!

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

I’m surprised. Less about Montero getting a contract like this and more the Astros wanted to spend this kind of money on a reliever.

Montero was really good this year and showed he can close, but I would have thought they’d spend this money elsewhere. I agree with the other posters that this is hopefully a signal Crane is willing to spend this year.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’ve spent market rate (or invested resources) on relief pitching throughout the Crane era: Gregerson, Neshek, Giles (via trade), Osuna, Baez, Nerris, Pressly, now Montero.

Seems to be a priority of Crane in regards to solidifying a winning team.

mightybosstone likes this.
  14. Yordan The Great

You would be correct.

This is the first mistake so far in the off season moves (2nd one if you count the Click debacle).

He hasn't had a "spotty" track record before this season, he's been downright bad his entire career.

Good luck with this signing. I give it a better than 50-50 chance it comes back to bite us.

Abreu and Stanek alone afforded you the opportunity to easily move on from Montero and let somebody overpay him.

As a reference point Pressly makes 15 million. But he got that after an established track record plus he was our closer.

I don't think there were many suitors for Montero.

This is what is known in the tennis world as an unforced error.

Oh well.

#34 Yordan The Great, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  15. astroa89

astroa89 Member

Who is signing the players to the team if we have no GM or assistant GM?

RussE likes this.
  16. astroa89

astroa89 Member

He still was nails in the regular season and he was injured last year the bullpen could have been better in 2021 WS with him out there Graveman and Maton got rocked by the Braves in that series.

17. the shark

the shark Member

Says the guy who practically EVERY prediction you made during the WS was WRONG!!!

jiggyfly and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  18. astroa89

astroa89 Member

19. astroa89

astroa89 Member

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. astroa89

astroa89 Member

Incorrect you dont win the title without his efforts. He pitched over 30 pitches in Game 5 he was being over used any reliever would get tired from that workload.