1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Did we watch the same postseason?

The postseason really soured me on Verlander. I know you shouldn't read too much into small samples, and I usually don't but he looked extremely shaky in all 4 starts after rampaging wire to wire in the regular season. 2019 was a similar story. If I'm paying a guy 35 million I want to feel good with him on the mound in games 1 and 5.

Guaranteeing 100 million to a 40 year old pitcher concerns the hell out of me even if he wasn't shaky in October. At that age he could be a league average pitcher almost overnight. Not saying he will, but it's always looming. I'm not completely against giving him money, but adding a bat is a more bigger priority than resigning Verlander as far as I'm concerned. If Crane is willing to do both than great.

jiggyfly, jklb, HTM and 4 others like this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Weirdly, I agree with the last 3 posts

3. HTown2017Champs

Contreras comes at the expense of a 2nd round draft pick and $500K in international bonus pool money. Does that change the calculus? Anyhow I’m strongly in favor of letting Montero walk. The pen is solid as is, relievers are very volatile, we already have a lot of $$$ invested in the pen, and he started to run out of gas near the end of the year.
    Also, I much prefer Bell to Abreu for 1B.

Nook likes this.
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

With healthy JV... World Series 2-1
    Without healthy JV - World Series 0-1

I'll take JV for $40 mil please

5. HTM

HTM Member

JV has been poor in the majority of his WS starts. He’s not some lock to be nails in the WS.

Starting JV in WS games gives me pause as an Astros fan. That’s not a great thing to feel.

jiggyfly and jklb like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's funny how folks latch onto these WS starts and completely disregard literally everything and anything Cy young dominant JV has done to that point. Oh how easily it can be seen when the injury bug bites and the folks talking about they don't really want JV back will be the same ones complaining about how they should have brought him back. All while JV is dominating once again in another uni

the what have you done for me lately logic is one of the worst mentalities

7. tbgunn66

tbgunn66 New Member

Bring JV back, of course, unless the money is too absurd

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

I know right. Verlander is 15-5 in the playoffs ALDS and ALCS combined.

In 2017 - he pitched solid enough for the Astros to come back and win Game #2 of the WS and we won the series
    In 2022 - he pitched solid enough to earn the win in Game #5 of the WS and we won the series.

I'm good with those numbers

YOLO likes this.
  9. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Not me. As great as Cole and JV can be during regular season, those two doesn’t strike fear yo their opponents in the playoff recently. Doesn’t mean I don’t want JV back. But if JV doesn’t come back, please use the money to get a big bat or 2 to add to middle of f lineup and upgrade the catching position, preferably Contreras but Vasquez is nice too.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Really? How soon we forget.
    • JV got his first World Series winning decision this year.
    • He blew a 5-run lead in Game 1 of the World Series and we were all fearful of his next start.
    • He got bombed by the Mariners in Game 1 of the ALDS.
    • JV lost two games in the 2019 World Series and lost a game in the 2019 ALCS.
    • Oh, and he didn't pitch at all in 2021.
    Pretty strong empirical argument that says that JV is a regular-season pitcher who hasn't performed well in the postseason. Not worth $30+ million year into his 40's. Too risky and we have other needs.

jiggyfly, lw17 and Tomstro like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Where's all the other so called aces in the playoffs? Fried, Max, Degrom, Cole, Manoah, Strider, etc. Oh that's right, they all struggled mightily in there starts in other rounds, not even getting to the WS

Marshall Bryant and jayfree like this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

I watched every game and to say he looked "extremely shaky in all 4 starts" just isn't true.

No doubt the 1st game against SEA and the 1st gm against PHI he wasn't just shaky he was bad.

However, the start against the NYY, I'll take that ALL day long:
    6 IP
    3 H
    1 R
    1 BB
    11 K

The 2nd start against PHI, was he "shaky", yes, but he fought through it and ultimately gave them 5 IP and only giving up one run.

I'm fine giving him a two yr deal and I'm sure that would be in the range 80-90 mil. Giving him a 3rd year? I think I let him walk.

13. conquistador#11

Make those Springer and Correa like offers where you know he is going to say no.
    $42 million for 2 years.

In the mid 30 millions is a big no for me. Roll with Brother Brown.

lw17 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah im sure Cleveland had this no fear feeling twice when Cole got them.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm in the I want JV re-signed, but it also scares me crowd. With the Astros getting comfortable with Alvarez in LF, I think that opens up DH for Brantley. I think there is a very real chance the Astros can get JV, Brantley, and a bargain 1B. That would give the Astros at least an average bat at 8 spots in the order.

If the Astros don't re-sign JV, they should have a lot of money to spread around more to get a better C and go after whichever 1B they want.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  16. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

I'd prefer the Astros not negotiate against themselves for Verlander. Really only the Dodgers have the luxury to go 6 deep to load balance Verlander's starts like the Astros can. Every other contender will have to ride him every turn without as clear a path to the playoffs. Can they weather the inevitable month off in August/September to get him ready for the playoffs? I think even Verlander knows he can't keep up that pace at his age.

If the Dodgers want him, then there is not much the Astros can do. They can drop a 3yrs/120mm guaranteed contract with no issue whatsoever and provide as good or better opportunity for him to hit his personal milestones (300 wins, easy playoff path, better offense, etc.)

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

It’s lunacy that some of you guys don’t want to resign the best pitcher in baseball. How do you think they even made the playoffs to begin with? He was a key part of that. You don’t resign him and you immediately become a less than 100 win team IMO. You are banking on a rookie, in Brown? Really? There is no guarantee that kid is going to have a great rookie season.

Furthermore, some of you would rather spend the money on bats. Why? Did you learn nothing from this season? Good pitching trumps good hitting ALL DAY. You guys act like Cy Young winners just grow on trees.

I’m so glad Crane is in charge and not the fans.

No Worries, everyday eddie and SWTsig like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would be shocked if the Dodgers even made a meaningful bid.

I suspect his biggest suitors will be the 80 something win teams that really need the amazing regular season value he should bring. Pushing out your worst starter and replacing him with Verlander could easily be a 8-10 win difference. Teams are smart now, even if he is your ace teams realize you have to do some load management and sacrifice a few starts.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I think Contreras is more unique and valuable than Rizzo, so no I don't think that will prevent the Astros from going after him. I don't know if it has been reported but the Astros (even with all the internal GM issues) have already reached out and have let it be known they are interested in Contreras and Abreu. The Astros would obviously like to keep their picks after losing them, but if they can get Contreras to catch, play first and DH, at a competitive amount, I think that they would do it.

As for Bell versus Abreu, the Astros really like both (or did a few months ago). Baker likes Bell a lot, and the Astros love his bat. The Astros have loved Abreu going all the way back to when he came over from Cuba (Astros were second in the blind bidding for him). Right now there is a lot of different opinions on what Bell will get on the open market and I think that will play a part in all of this.

Personally I would rather have Abreu on a two year deal, than Bell on a four year deal. Either of them is an improvement over what we had this season. I think that Bell has another level in his bat he hasn't reached yet, but I also think he has a lower floor.

I don't know what type of fit Bell would be in the locker room, but I know that Abreu would likely be an excellent fit as he is a strong leader and well known and respected, especially by Cuban players.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The playoffs are a different animal.

Everybody gets everyone else's best shot.

HOF level players sometimes become ordinary or worse.

That said those same players get their team to the playoffs.

I think getting to the playoffs must be considered and not assumed

Htown Legend and Nook like this.