1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I saw a good article about how the Padres like to bring up there young prospects as soon as possible because they look better for trades.

Obviously you see a 21 year old playing well in AAA then you might have a star on your hands.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Once under contract, even for a year, he would need permission by Houston to talk about a job. Without it, it is tampering. I think a club just got severely penalized for just that.

I also think it is a reason the Brewer advisor was off the table. While he was no longer GM, he was still an employee of the Brewers.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

They had the noon press conference to announce Dusty's one year deal. That was all.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was hoping for more. But that at least settles one Management Hire. I was kind of hoping for a Verlander deal which would include his accepting the $25M for 2023 but with a new deal for 2024+ to keep this season's AAV at $25M. Tomorrow is the last day that type of deal could be done because he has to exercise the option by then.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You let Mancini go?!?! Fire James Click

No Worries likes this.
  7. marks0223

Supporting Member

Someone asked Crane about JV in the press conference and Crane said something about a 4pm meeting tomorrow to continue the dialog that's already been going on.

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was on the inside of a line like that once after a pipeline spill caused an emergency evacuation. We were on scene nearby working on acquiring a new pipeline right of way and were retasked to provide emergency assistance for damages and expenses. We simply created a sign up number so people could go about their business instead of spending all day in line. Whoever had the lowest number when an agent was available was served first. If you were next, but someone with a lower number came in, you got to wait a little longer.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think that's cutting it close if he is going to exercise his player option before signing an extension. The five day is tomorrow, but I don't know the witching hour. I hope it's not another last second deal like his 2017 trade.

Yes. November tenth, but the only deadline (of several) with an Hour is the QO at 5ET at the exact time of the meeting with Verlander. I do not know if they can still strike a deal after that with JV exercising his option or if that means he has or will definitely notify MLB he will not exercise his player option. It's a little too inside baseball for me.

#369 Marshall Bryant, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if the announcement was made by general manager James Click...at what point is Click no longer the GM? When does his contract run out? I'm just wondering because I know the 40 man roster has to be set sometime in the next week, right? Leading up to the Rule V draft? Will Click be able to do that before his contract is up or is that something Crane ends up having to get his hands in?

11. marks0223

Supporting Member

His contract expired 10/31/22. They've used the term that probably applies to most of our jobs. He's continuing to be employed "at will" without a contract at this time.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We are covered. Jack Easterby has been hired by Jim Crane to serve as character coach, which also includes GM duties.

SPLASH

Stephen66 and Rock Block like this.
  13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We extended Click for next season. Unsure about the terms and whether or not he has officially signed it yet.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The dates for the expiration of his year is usually set by his contract. Since it is not part of the collective bargaining agreement, it may vary. This would indicate Click is still under contract.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Is that a football joke?

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That makes sense. Though unusual for upper management.

17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

REPORTED
    PERM A BAN
    INSTA BAN
    HOW DARE YOU
    S.Y.D.W.M.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It is my understanding that all GM positions other than Houston have been filled.

19. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I wonder if J.V. not opting out yet means he is in serious talks with Crane?

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's zigging when everyone else is zagging. It's exploiting a market inefficiency.

If you trust your scouting is capable of finding hidden gems (and development team capable of polishing them), it doesn't matter if they're amateurs (e.g. Yordan) or professional players (e.g. McHugh).

There's something to be said about taking the lessons learned from a small ball market and applying them in a big market way. Andrew Friedman definitely brought a small market focus on farm system building and development to the Dodgers when he got there... along with spending money.