1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

They started out 1-9, winning 10% of their games, and we would have had the same starting lineup if it werent for injuries. Injuries are the only reason Silas has changed anything, you would think he would try things like having Jabari play with the second unit.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I dunno man

I don't run the team or the integration plan. I can only tell you my observations based on two top 5 picks. I might be wrong. But it appears to me as if they just send them out there for 20 games to get comfortable with the NBA pace, and don't really rum a heap of plays for them

Nook, RudyTBag, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  3. Good Times

Good Times Member

What type of plays can you run for him? He’s a PF that can’t post up, isn’t a guard you can run off screens, and doesn’t really slash or drive. He’s best hitting open jumpers which means he you got to have others create for him to be effective. He isn’t the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option if he can’t create for himself or for others. Therefore it’s best to have the offense run through Green and Sengun to get him open looks.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hard to imagine at this point that JSJ will have a better career than Banchero, based on what we have seen so far. There really hasn't been many positives to hang your hat on with him.

Its early, and he deserves much more time, but the guy needs to start doing something well. He might need to start getting comfortable with hitting threes 4-5 feet behind the line, because he can't get any open looks at all currently. He is seemingly clueless on how to move off the ball to put defenders in tough positions. Just stands stationary on the perimeter.

Would love to have had him in a Harden lineup, where he would be spoon fed open 3 point looks all day long, but we just don't have that type of creator talent on the team anymore. Maybe we can land Henderson and that changes.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It’s early. That’s hopefully the saving grace here, but right now he’s just not very good. If you were trying to win, he’s not the guy you’d want to run out there. Hopefully whatever development plan they have includes more than him just standing on the line and jacking up threes, because I think he’s better than that, but it’s certainly coming along slowly. He’s got to be frustrated.

6. Brad Newley the Goat

Dude reminds me of Thon Maker. Relatively tall yet somehow looks and plays shorter than he is. Weak, can't defend or shoot as advertised.

Hopefully he plays better than Thon over in China.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He’s a rookie, who has been injured off and on. The overreaction here is comical. Jabari will be fine. :cool:

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The excuses are kinda getting old but it is still just, what 10-11 games? But that dreaded 20 game mark is fast approaching.

9. YaosDirtyStache

I haven’t logged in here since harden trade but holy hell this guy sucks. YDS has surfaced like the Loch Ness to tell everyone here this kid has zero appreciable nba skills. Dude looks like a Marvin Williams level of a pick. I’m absolutely sad Stone whiffed on this pick because lord knows this rebuilding team needs as much talent as possible.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great free-throw shooter, which gives hope that his shot will come around. I'm sure he will figure it out. 14/8 with 2.5 threes per game and .450/.900 and .400 from the 3-point line is my prediction for his rookie season. It would help to have an actual point guard or a coach who could figure out some plays.

Defense has lots of room for improvement. Good individual perimeter defender though.

11. hahachui

hahachui Member

Again. Most of his shot are contested. If he can do a shoot fake and side dribble before shooting, his game will be much better already‍♂️

12. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

No big man rookie shoots .400 from 3. And no rookie plays good team defense. Go look at Durant. The expectations here are way out of line. Jabari’s intrinsics to shoot well and defend well are still there - the system, practice and reps are not, so the results are not either.

Yes, he looks lost and way worse than his peers. So did Green last year - for all of Bobby’s idiocy, he is right that statistically Jalen was the worst player in the league before his injury. Last night he looked OK.

Jabari may be fine - or he may not - I don’t know, but I sure as hell know it is too early to say.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If anything, the JG and Jabari doubters are making me even more confident in their future success. I am not the slightest bit worried about those two.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

To be fair to Jabari, he did a lot of work from the elbow and mid post in college where he was able to A) actually establish and maintain position to receive an entry pass, and B) get a contested shot off over the defender. That part of his game could reemerge over time, but at the NBA level where defenders are bigger, stronger, and smarter, and schemes are more sophisticated, there's going to be an adjustment period.

That said, dumping the ball into him in those spots was pretty much the extent of "running plays for Jabari" at Auburn. He's not a self creator off the bounce and he's not even a constant movement catch and shoot guy like Klay. They did run the rare pin down with Kessler to get him open at the top of the key, but for the most part he got his spot up looks in transition and on kick outs. In that sense, he's getting a lot of the same kind of looks at the NBA level as he did in college, he's just not hitting them.

Now here's the problem...when you're billed as an elite, tough shot maker, you can't blame your poor shooting on not having plays run for you. Elite shooters make shots despite the circumstances. He has to start putting some down, period.

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

65% of all his FG attempts and 90% of his threes have been "Open" or "Wide Open".

Yung-T likes this.
  17. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

he's put in the worst position to succeed...barely touches the ball...no pick and pops, screen and rolls run for him...he may be a bust...but this coaching staff/offense is doing him no favors in putting him in a position to succeed..u hv him just like green at beginning of last yr camping on the perimeter like a spot up shooter...pathetic integration plan by this **** coaching staff...

18. keeez

keeez Member

You can really tell how bad Bari's mental is right now. He's caught in a really bad cycle and needs to find a way to break out of it.

No engagement on offense >> rushed/forced shots because of said lack of engagement >> loses confidence >> misses bunnies >> back to standing around and looking lost on offense

He's gotta find a way to get even more involved in other areas. There's no one person to blame here, this is both on him and the coaches to get him more active. Once that happens, I think his confidence will be there and his shot will start to fall.

RudyTBag likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It should be really simple. Go hard as f*** on defense. Pull every rebound, talk your ass off, and do your best to assist Alperen on both ends. On defense, have his back, on offense, move without the ball.

Shoot 10 threes a game. Let it fly when you are open.

keeez and Easy like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

]

.... the numbers say otherwise.

Jabari has taken 60 3 point shots

21 of them no defender within 6 feet. That's as open as it gets in the NBA. He's made 8/21
    Players Shooting Dashboard Closest Defender +10 | Stats | NBA.com
    Closest defender between 4-6 feet .... considered open by NBA standards. 30 attempts and 8 makes.
    That accounts for 51 of his 60 3 point attempts.

5 shots with a defender within 2-4 feet with 1 make. - These are contested shots.

By Contrast - Tari Eason (his numbers are also in the above links).

20 total 3 point shots

11 of them with no defender within 6 feet with 5 makes.

6 shots with a defender between 4-6 feet with 2 makes.

Accounting for 17 of his 20 total 3 point shots.

0 attempts with a defender between 2-4 feet.

Easy and Yung-T like this.