1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Astro in Exile: Luhnow

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Oct 13, 2022.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

when the media hates you, the rules for you are different. Make no mistake, none of this would've happened to Lunhow if he was the yankees or dodgers or sox GM

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I do think everything in 2019 served as an eye-opener to Crane as to what the Astros culture had become under Luhnow. They handled the PR side of that stupid harassment issue about as poorly as they possibly could have, and it left a bad taste in a lot of the media's mouths. The ensuing cheating scandal also took Crane by surprise, and I think he really put the majority of the blame on Luhnow for how he handled that too.

It's very clear that he's fought hard to bring a more positive, human element back into the clubhouse. Say what you want about Dusty's in-game management, but I don't think it can be denied that he's a genuinely good human being, and someone that the players have very clearly rallied behind. I have never seen the level of camaraderie that this 2022 team has in any of the previous years, and I think Dusty plays an enormous role in that. These guys have been galvanized by the hate, and I think Crane hired Dusty for exactly this reason. This team needed someone who wouldn't run away from the scandal, but would also be able to use their own personal reputation to shield the guys in the clubhouse a little bit. It's been beautiful to see guys like Bregman, Altuve, Lance, and even JV get their swagger back.

Plowman, mikol13, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Man, I don't think I buy most of this. That clubhouse has always been awesome going back to the days of club Astro and the Congerbot and burying Beltrans glove etc. I always got the sense they liked and respected AJ and played hard for him and loved being on the team with the guys they were on it with. That's been a great clubhouse for a long time.
    Don't disagree that Dusty is a good dude.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Were you not around when Crane first bought the team? They (Crane, business side, baseball side, everybody) made PR mistake after PR mistake... almost on a weekly laughable basis. They figured out how to avoid some of that by avoiding the media... and then when they started winning they were absolved of a lot of that.

Crane has always had a pulse on his team. To say he was oblivious or "surprised" by the culture is fairly presumptuous. He helped foster some of the cutthroat culture himself. It very well could be how he prefers his team be run.

jiggyfly, Rileydog, vince and 3 others like this.
  5. raining threes

Give me championships over the human element.

vince and astrosrule like this.
  6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Chris Correa and John Coppolella faced harsher consequences... granted for more serious crimes... but far less media scrutiny for their respective franchises.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Cause nobody cares about them, they aren’t hated

8. raining threes

I hope Crane wants his team run this way.

It's bow the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox etc... Do business.

9. raining threes

That's how much the media hates Luhnow.

10. raining threes

Why is this and Mozeliak must've known about the cheating so he should have been fired.

At least that's the standard the media held the Astros, Luhnow too.

11. vince

vince Member

Amazingly well said!!!

With that said, I would embrace Luhnow back as the GM in a heartbeat!

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Great piece from Bob Nightengale

rockbox, noppeper and Htown Legend like this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/05/sports/baseball/jeff-luhnow-astros-world-series.html

The top 9 hitters and top 6 pitchers were all luhnow guys.

The fact the Crane didn't want to pay Luhnow is so petty after all he did for the Astros.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL why do you all get upset when it's pointed out you are wrong or have **** takes.

Would rather be insufferable than just being flat out wrong most of the time.

16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya, i have been a die hard houston sports fan since 1996. Nobody in any sport has meant to me what Jeff Luhnow has meant. If i had my own mount rushmore, he is the one who would be front and center.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Click resigned him, and it was not a no brainer call after the injury.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does he need to be better than expected, and he has been great as a set-up man, what more would you want?

How has Raley been better than Stanek?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.