1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon vs Twitter update: Elon in Israel !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Who is for democracy?

1. Elon

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Twitter

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Chinese democracy by Guns N Roses

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Hilarious

omgTHEpotential and J.R. like this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My twitter has seemingly been compromised somehow.

I am now seeing foreign spamming in Mandarin maybe?

I do not follow any of these accounts.

And I guess he has started his own round of bans.

A week in and already a shitshow.....who would have guessed.

3. Major

Major Member

True incompetence.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/twitter-asks-employees-come-back-layoffs_n_63684411e4b08f849aac8b45

Days After Laying Off Half The Company, Twitter Asks Some Employees To Come Back
    Twitter is reportedly trying to reverse course and hire back dozens of workers it just laid off – continuing the chaos Elon Musk has brought since taking over.

Some of those who the company is asking to return were laid off by mistake, sources told Bloomberg, while others were fired before management realized their experience was necessary to build the new features Musk wants for the platform.

4. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I disliked Twitter's previous leadership (Parag, Vijaya, etc.) and am glad they're gone, and I also think that Twitter had way too high of a headcount thus some layoffs were understandable (if a bit overly hasty). But I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Elon is in over his head at Twitter. He's not a stupid guy, and some of his ideas have merit...but there's a number of things that he just doesn't seem to get. Also, he's trying to make too many changes and "enhancements" too fast, which goes against typical software development life cycle principles. Twitter has already been kinda buggy in recent months but I suspect that this breakneck speed (along with the 84-hour work weeks he's allegedly making people do) will noticeably worsen that.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democr...evenue-11667706457?mod=hp_opin_pos_4#cxrecs_s

Democrats Develop Elon Musk Derangement Syndrome
    They oppose his takeover of Twitter for the simple reason that they want to silence conservative views.
    By Allysia Finley
    Nov. 6, 2022 11:34 am ET

Liberals have tried to draw similarities between Elon Musk and Donald Trump, perhaps to justify their acquired distaste for the Tesla and new Twitter CEO. But the main thing the two provocateurs have in common is that they both drive the left into hysterical fits.

As President Biden last week warned in a dark speech that American democracy is “under attack” by Mr. Trump and “MAGA Republicans,” Democrats and their media allies hyperventilated that Mr. Musk would take a wrecking ball to Twitter. “The world’s richest man has apparently decided to set his $44 billion investment on fire,” wrote one Washington Post columnist.

Mr. Musk’s takeover is no more likely to destroy Twitter than Republican control of Congress will destroy democracy. Democrats are panicking because both will impose much-needed checks on progressive rule.

For months liberals have warned that Mr. Musk’s free-speech policies would turn Twitter into a cesspool of violence, obscenity and hate, even though he has assured advertisers he won’t make it an anything-goes platform. Nonetheless, companies such as General Motors, Pfizer and Mondelez have bought the spin and paused advertising on the platform.

Democrats are raising a new bogeyman. Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy on Oct. 31 called for the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, or Cfius, to investigate the “national security implications of Saudi Arabia’s purchase of Twitter.” “We should be concerned that the Saudis, who have a clear interest in repressing political speech and impacting U.S. politics, are now the second-largest owner of a major social media platform,” he tweeted.

The Saudi government didn’t “purchase” Twitter. A Saudi prince’s conglomerate, Kingdom Holding Co., held a roughly $1.89 billion stake in Twitter as a public company that it is rolling over in Mr. Musk’s deal to take it private. Mr. Murphy says the Saudis have a “clear political motivation” because they could have cashed out of Twitter as many public investors did, which “would have been the financially sound thing to do.”

Not if the Saudis, like former CEO Jack Dorsey and U.S. venture funds that kept or acquired stakes, believe Mr. Musk will turn the challenged company around. Democrats may struggle to comprehend this, but not everyone agrees that Mr. Musk is destined to fail.

The day after Mr. Murphy’s letter, the Washington Post reported that White House officials were considering a national-security investigation into Mr. Musk’s Twitter takeover owing to concern about its foreign investors—namely, the Kingdom Holding Co. and Binance, a cryptocurrency exchange founded by a Chinese-Canadian business executive.

A 2018 law lets Cfius review deals in which a foreign entity takes a minority stake in a U.S. business that maintains “critical infrastructure” or collects sensitive personal data of U.S. citizens. The White House’s purported concern is that Mr. Musk could share Twitter user data with foreign investors, who might also seek to censor content they dislike.

Some Democrats also warn that Mr. Musk could suppress views that offend China’s Communist Party to protect Tesla’s sizable business in China. That’s unlikely under Mr. Musk’s plan to make Twitter’s algorithms open-source. It’s also strangely inconsistent with Democrats’ lack of concern that TikTok, which is wholly owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, will moderate content at Beijing’s behest.

A Bloomberg dispatch last month reported that Biden officials were discussing whether to subject the Twitter deal to a national-security review after growing disturbed by Mr. Musk’s recent threat to stop financing the Starlink satellite service to Ukraine—in addition to tweets viewed as favorable to the Kremlin, including that Russia should be allowed to keep Crimea, which it seized in 2014.

Why should Mr. Musk be expected to foot the bill for U.S. foreign and military aid? Starlink’s satellite competitors, including OneWeb and Amazon, aren’t. Mr. Musk’s tweets on Ukraine are cringe-worthy, but no more so than the now-withdrawn letter by the Congressional Progressive Caucus urging the White House to negotiate directly with Russia to end the war in Ukraine.

The point is that none of the Democrats’ objections are principled. They oppose Mr. Musk’s takeover for the simple reason that they want to silence conservative voices and contrarian views on subjects such as climate and Covid. Twitter’s deposed executives succeeded at this even as they failed to make money for investors.

Twitter has posted a net loss every year since going public in 2013, save 2018 and 2019. Last year it generated a mere $4.5 billion in advertising revenue compared with Alphabet’s $210 billion and Amazon’s $31 billion. Unlike other large tech companies, it has failed to develop beyond its core competency. Mr. Musk has to clean house to prevent it from burning down.

Democrats are rooting for Mr. Musk to fail. But unfortunately for them, he doesn’t appear to suffer from the self-destructive tendencies of Donald Trump.

Appeared in the November 7, 2022, print edition as 'Democrats Develop Elon Musk Derangement Syndrome'.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Terrible that Elon is being tweeted so poorly.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The FED is forcing ALL growth companies to freeze/fire. Tech will be firing across the board. Taking a company private has the same as effect as what the FED is doing but on steroids. Laying off employees was an eventuality either way (not sure about 75% though).

I don't care he's firing people. But making big promises and cutting manpower when borrowed money is getting expensive seems unrealistic.

REALITY - I only care as an advertiser. I don't use Twitter personally. And most importantly, I cant buy the stock anymore so I don't care about direction from that standpoint.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We are only seeing the start of a huge wave of layoffs in the tech industry, globally. And the honest truth is that it is necessary as a cleansing exercise.

I can tell you that every Tech CEO knows exactly who is meant by "The Borg". We are just not saying it openly.

Ziggy likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

laid off twitter employees need to learn how to mine coal

Space Ghost likes this.
  10. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Every company is bloated. Look around your workplace, you wouldn't miss half the people.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

sick burn.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. omgTHEpotential

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is this real? Or supposed to be funny? Or what? I don't get it.

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Banal GOP joke.

Sajan likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, I couldn't even really follow it. It was bad. GOP has some GOOD memes too. Why choose so poorly?

BANAL. Now THAT is a funny word.

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  19. omgTHEpotential

I think it's real. And there's nothing wrong with suggesting mentally ill people to seek help.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Great word once you've added it to your vocabulary.

The local news commentary on the Astros championship victory parade is banal.

It's especially good if you pronounce it be-anal