1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

2022 is now past.
    What's in store for 2023?

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

mikol13 likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Bring back Gurriel and Brantley. I like Vazquez but we need to let Lee play and grow. I'd also take Mancini if we can get him at a decent deal and platoon him and Yuli at first.

Love Verlander but it is time to sink that money into hitting.

Valdez
    McCullers
    Javier
    Urquidy
    Brown

Is still really good.

Montero will get more $$ than I want to pay.

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

Please not Diaz.

Castro is unlikely.

Brantley, Gurriel, and Montero I'd try to keep.

Vazquez is an option but I don't know if catcher is a priority for the Astros since they love Maldonado.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Crane is going to pony up for Verlander. He was talking about signing him last night.

Crane has an ego, he expects to win. He will want to go back to back.

I would keep my eye on some older players who can still hit much like Jose Abreu. Guys who will produce and accept shorter deals so that the Astros can resign their homegrown talent.

I assume Brantley and Verlander will be the guys retained ultimately from the group mentioned.

7. tx2005

tx2005 Member

I wonder how far Crane is willing to go to keep JV. There is speculation he could be offered a longer 3-4 year deal in upwards of 40 million a year. As much as I love JV, I’m not sure Crane is going to be willing to take on that type of deal (nor should he given the risk) unless there are some team options thrown in.

I assume it all depends on what sort of offers JV gets and what his goals are. If he wants to get paid, then I could see him taking that sort of deal (ie. 3 yrs $120+) with the Yankees.

If he really wants a good chance at another title, then maybe we can keep him for a little cheaper and/or shorter term deal, but that is going to require he leaves some money on the table.

astros123 likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think JV really cares about his legacy more than money at this point.

I think there is a good chance he resigns with the Astros on a player option based deal.

The Astros present the best opportunity for him to reach the 300 win milestone. The same core locked up for the forseeable future.

raining threes, Shark44 and marks0223 like this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Put another bat in that lineup

10. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Mentioned in another thread a while back but will say it here also. I would love to see them try to trade for Max Kepler. Coming off a rough year. signed through 2023 with team option for 2024. Would bet in a bounce back and stick him in left field. Doubt it would cost too much.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/the-2022-23-offseason-begins.html

key dates:
    11/7-11/10: GM meetings. A little strange Crane let Clicks status go unaddressed this long, it is quite possible we will see something done next week. Either way, trade and free agent discussions will begin tomorrow.

11/15: 40 man rosters deadline for Rule 5 protection. I expect Corey Julks, Jayden Murray, and JP France to be added to Houston’s roster. I consider it possible that if Verlander is going to resign with Houston, it might be done by this date.

11/18: non-tender deadline. Not a factor for a Houston as all their arb players will very likely be tendered. Dubon would be the only potential non-tender.

11/20: QO deadline. Houston has no QO candidates since they already offered Verlander last year.

12/7: Rule 5 draft. I don’t expect Houston to lose anyone this year but if they do it’ll be a AA pitcher.

1/15: New international signing period opens. Several good prospects will be added to Houston’s system.

I expect 5-6 meaningful moves including free agent signings, trades, and extensions. There will be several other lesser moves I’m sure like waiver claims of fringe 40 man players and signing of players to minor league deals

2/24: Spring Training begins

3/30 opening day

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They need to settle on who their GM is or have an alternative plan in place. Too many decisions are needed in rapid fire to leave the responsibility, if not the position, in limbo.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Left Field is filled. Yordan is no longer DH, he is LF.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

No.

15. conquistador#11

I think Crane loves the attention Kate brings to the yard. Ok maybe that's just me projecting my own feelings towards the queen. But is Verlander the second player (Altuve) Crane wants to call 8 hours after the world series ends?

And I'm just reading Crane and Dusty "nuked" a Willson Contreras deal that Click made? Your manager can't nuke a GM's deal not a real GM. That's wild.

Rock Block likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

As much as I thought Contreras was a good fit for the roster, Urquidy for Contreras would have been a bad deal for Houston. You don’t trade 3.5 seasons of a quality SP for 0.5 seasons of a good hitting average defensive C.

13 in 33, phasors28, rockbox and 8 others like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A trade that seems to make sense to me would be Urquidy and a prospect to Toronto for Danny Jansen and Teoscar Hernandez. Pair that with signing Verlander and Jose Abreu and you’ve got yourself a very stacked roster.

Htown Legend and joshuaao like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Salvy likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While I don't disagree, this is exactly the type of bold move people are criticizing him for not making.

It just feels like Click is in a no win scenario with Crane, even though his pragmatic roster choices have helped win a title and set us up to contend for a few more.

20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

raining threes and plee like this.