1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Trivia!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Jul 17, 2001.

1. SlamN

SlamN Member

How many teams are willing to pay an aging and injury prone Hakeem a guaranteed multiyear contract worth well over $10 million?

Rockets are the only ones (they shouldn't even consider it IMO)that Team Hakeem is revealing...but supposedly there are others.

Hakeem was an employee of the Rockets and has helped them build a strong franchise. He has been compensated and probably is (was) welcomed back in management or coaching staff. Hakeem is not the Rockets.

------------------

2. Band Geek Mobster

I think the Rockets won more than 20 games last season when Dream was out...

------------------
    President of the CC.net Realist Club, everyone needs a dose of reality once in a while...

3. Ranger11

Ranger11 Member

quote by PRM: The Rockets don't win Game 1 in the NBA Finals against the Magic without Kenny Smith. Dream played a huge part in the championship teams, but he needed the Mario Elie's and Sam Cassell's as well...
    -------------------------------------------
    The Rockets also don't win that game without Nick Anderson. Hey Nick, thanks for the championship! Hey PRM, I am being sarcastic! Without Hakeem the '95 Rockets would have been a lottery team. So don't give me that Kenny Smith crap! Hakeem MADE this team. Oh wait, maybe Nick Anderson did.

------------------

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sure now you change the rules!

------------------

5. Band Geek Mobster

I agree, we don't win that game without Nick Anderson choking.

Did you not read what I said when I said that Dream played a huge part in the championships?

Do you think we would have won those championships without the Cassell's, Smith's, Elie's, and Horry's?

Someone had to hit those open 3 pointers, it sure as hell wasn't Hakeem.

------------------
    President of the CC.net Realist Club, everyone needs a dose of reality once in a while...

6. Ranger11

Ranger11 Member

Who got Kenny all the open looks? It sure the hell wasn't him taking guys off the dribble.

Tell me this; could you replace Kenny with Craig Hodges or John Paxton or replace Horry with Horace Grant or Dale Ellis and could the Rockets still have won the championship. Yes. But take out Hakeem and there is no way they could have won.

------------------

7. Ranger11

Ranger11 Member

Hey you are right man, Hakeem sucks. We should have drafted Bowie. I guess I am alone in that I would rather watch the Dream Shake against the Admiral then watch the Mobley dribble show. Just call me old school. From now it should be "old school Ranger11"

------------------

8. SlamN

SlamN Member

Its a team game, the Rockets would not have won any championships without any of the players on that squad...even Charles Jones who fouled beautifully when we needed him. Without Smith, Cassell, Elie or Horry the Rockets would not have kept the games close. Without Hakeem those guys would actually have to move around to get shots.

If you replace Hakeem with Ewing (blah) or Robinson (blah) the Rockets could have won the rings as well. Without one the other could not have thrived.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SlamN (edited July 17, 2001).]

9. Band Geek Mobster

Well now I know what the "11" stands for, when you learn how to read and comprehend, I'll be more than happy to help you understand that no 1 man has won an NBA championship by himself and that very few teams had as many clutch shooters as the Rockets did during those championship runs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Pete Rose Mobster (edited July 17, 2001).]

10. crash5179

That is doubtlfull.

Make Ewing a Rocket and Hakeem a Knick and I fully beleive the Knicks have that championship in 94.

Make Robinson a Rocket and Hakeem a Spur and...well I would hate to think that our star player could ever be so completely dominated as Robinson was by Dream in 95.

Every championship team has had roll players step up like Tyrone Lue this past year or Sam Cassell and Robert Horry for us or John Paxson and Steve Kerr for the Bulls but without the Jordans and Dreams of the NBA those roll players would have never been in position to contribute in those situations.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited July 17, 2001).]

11. Ranger11

Ranger11 Member

SlamN, do you really believe that about Ewing or Robinson? I believe if one of those guys was with the Rockets instead of Hakeem then whatever team Hakeem was on would have won the championships. If you don't recall the '94 championship the Knicks had a better "team" than the Rockets but the Rockets had Hakeem. And in '95 Hakeem made Robinson look silly.

------------------

12. Ranger11

Ranger11 Member

You really hurt me, PRM. Really. I am crushed knowing that you might not find me intelligent [​IMG]

------------------

13. SlamN

SlamN Member

I was just building on Ranger11's post that if Smith or Horry were replaced by similar players the Rockets would have still won. His original post said that if we didn't have Hakeem the Rockets would have never won...which is true. But if we had a player similar to Hakeem (dominate low post player) we could have won a ring as well.

------------------

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LOL!

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I posted this tounge-in-cheek reply to ZRB illustrating why you might not want to invest 12 million in an OLDER player with an extensive medical history. Apparently my humor fell on deaf ears.

New Trivia Game
    In an effort to help CD's memory let's try to come up with all the medical conditions that have limited the playing time of the young and virile Hakeem. Somebody will have to help me with the actual dates and games missed.
    1.Mystery Asthma (milehighitis)
    2.Mystery Anemia (Ramadan Noeatis)
    3.Mystery Blood clot (Careerus Almostendus)
    4.Mysterious Mood Changes (Rudynoluvmeism)

Now what would we expect for Hakeem in two more years?

------------------
    I find my own ignorance amusing

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Actually, I do believe its defunct. Most of its teams, including Houston, just left to join the AHL.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

17. AB

AB Contributing Member

Sorry to be Mean, but before I completed this question Cato's name flashed on my mind

[​IMG]

------------------

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have been the last person to ever get mad at your pessimism, but whne it comes down to sheer stupidity, I have to say something. Stop making moronic statements like that. You can be a pessimist without being dumb [​IMG]

------------------
    American business long ago gave up on demanding that prospective employees be honest and hardworking. It has even stopped hoping for employees who are educated enough that they can tell the difference between the men's room and the women's room without having little pictures on the doors.

19. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Sorry I took so long to respond. I was referring to the 93-94 team. There is no way that team would have won anything without the Dream.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

20. crash5179

The was no Low Post Player similar to Hakeem. Hakeem was simply head and shoulders above the rest. Clyde Drexler had similar talents to Michael Jordan but he was not as good and Chicagos chance to win 6 nba titles would have declined dramaticaly. No other NBA center in the 90's had the game Dream had. Without Dream our chances to win those two championships would have droped drasticaly.

------------------