1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Better coaching would help out him in a better position to be successful. Jabari isnt just shooting bad. He takes a lot of bad shots too. His shot selection is very shitty. There’s thing the coaching staff can pull him(and most of his teammates) to the side and tell him what he’s doing wrong and need to do different or better. There’s always a lesson tk be learned while playing. Only coach I really see pulling guys to the side for a lil discussion is coach Lucas and that’s not enough because I see far too much bad little things happening during the game.

the reason that Mobley and Barnes had really successful rookie seasons is because their coaches gave them Defined roles and job expectations. They knew what they were suppose to do when they were put in the field. They knew what not to do. Jabari does some good but he also does some bad. Does he know the bad things he’s doing out there on the court. The missed defensive assignment/rotation, not blocking out on rebounds, the bad shot selection. Jabari isn’t chucker but he kinda does what he wants to do out there. Without repercussion

Yung-T likes this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

If we get another 1st or 2nd pick, Jabari can be a role player who plays great D and shoots the 3, which is all we need from him. He was never going to be a creator. We just need a system and a coach who wants to find a way to get him involved. It's clear Jabari is low on the list of priorities, behind Sengun, KPJ & Green at least.

3. MystikArkitect

By that logic, Agbaji should've gone #1 overall because his team won the championship. Paolo is good but Jabari has a more aggressive, assertive demeanor. Paolo kinda reminds me of Harden. A little oafey, just naturally more skilled and bigger than everyone around him. He's going to be amazing, but I think he's eventually going to hit a ceiling due to that (and his lateral quickness which is probably Sengun level).

The reason everyone had Jabari #1 on *most* boards is because his archetype is freaking rare. It's almost as rare as this year's #1 overall pick. Dude's who are 6-11 that can guard in space with Boeing 747 wingspans and shoot 43% from 3 with a catch and release like he has at that release point don't come around every draft. It's like he was made in a lab. He's figuring his stuff out right now like rookies do and his game is more dependent on the players around him vs Paolo who is a heliocentric ball handler. They're both going to be really good.

The NBA doesn't care about college results. All they care about is intangibles, demeanor and measurements. It's why players like Drew Timme and the UCLA kid don't get drafted. They're "winners" but just don't have the physical measurements and abilities to make it in the NBA. He's going to be fine. If he still looks like this in a year, then we can talk. Relax.

beardsanity713 and Astrodome like this.
  4. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

I need the same things you have been smoking. and I don't smoke.

jiggyfly, ilovehtownbb and gumbleton3 like this.
  5. Spooner

Spooner Member

Don’t you think it’s possible your mind is making you see it that way? It is very hard to quantify demeanor and it is subjective and open to interpretation. When talking about a “killer”, it needs to be backed with tangible results on the floor. I’ll take the consistent winner over a perceived attitude that ultimately may as well be a projection. I would disagree that Paolo’s demeanor has any less star in it than Jabari. Even still, the Warriors owned this decade with a guy who looks and acts like he’s 10 years old. You know it’s bad when the silver lining is projecting a mentality onto a player because his play has left very little to be excited about.

jiggyfly, ilovehtownbb and Yung-T like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

I'm not "projecting". I followed every single step of the draft process, interviews, scouting reports, and watched almost every game of Chet, Jabari and Paolo. I had Paolo #1 with Jabari #2 so when Paolo got taken first, I kinda freaked out because I did not want Chet at all. Going back to the "projecting" thing, Jabari was the odds on favorite to go #1 throughout the whole process for a reason. That doesn't go away just because of a bad stretch of games between the Jazz game and yesterday's Clippers game. He hung 21/7 I think on the Jazz in Game 1, then there was the dust up, then him and Jalen both seemingly forgot how to play basketball. Things seemed more fluid yesterday so my hope is that he calms down and begins to operate off of Sengun. KPj is a problem right now. He holds the ball way too much and gets fake assists like Russ used to do when he would try to spam triple doubles. Those force fed passes after he's done dribbling for 18 seconds. Harden was guilty of this as well (and Luka). Assist #'s aren't a good indicator or someone's impact on being a good facilitator. Just like +/- is a bad indicator of someone's on the court impact.

Vegas and the majority of prognosticators had Jabari #1 for a reason. That still exists. Very much so. He could I guess bust and be like...Channing Frye? I'm not going to doom and gloom a 19 year old kid off of his first 10 games in the NBA though. Passing judgement off of this stretch is silly. Especially considering our....special point guard situation. Also part of the reason I wanted Paolo though. It would've punted the KPj as a PG experiment to the moon. Which should still be the case.

Y2JT likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He needs to work on finishing around the basket like he practices 3pt shot. Do 1000 layup drills everyday with Boban guarding the rim.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Smith is taking horrible shots.
    Coaching is doing little to get him good shots or to discourage bad shots.

I personally only put some of the blame on Smith for the horrible shot selection. Just as big of an issue, is the refusal of our players to pass the ball to Smith when he is open. Porter and green would both generate Additional assist if they would just pass to an open jabari on the 3 point line.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, the Rockets were the most serious suitor for Silas, doesn't surprise me that the org didn't do their due diligence.

So disappointing.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

On the rebounds, I'm not super concerned. Don't recall many games we lost because of REB differential.
    • If look at last game with the Clippers, we won the rebounding battle there. Rockets: 50, Clippers 43. In other past games; except maybe the Bucks, many were fairly close.
    • Back on last night, the rebounds were shared among Sengun (13 reb), Eason (7), Garuba (6), and KPJ grabed a bunch (7)
    • Thirdly, for OFF REB, which is more of a tough category. Jabari's current role is a stretch 4 (from the side/corners). That archetype doesn't lend itself to OFF REB. And we know how Rockets love their 4-out / 5-out system for our pseudo-heliocentric system.
    Side note: couple games like Hawks and Grizz, there were stretches where they went fastbreak on our turnovers. In those times, we should be stressing less on OFF REB, but focused on get backs.
    Un-serious comment: if Rockets wanted to pad Jabari's rebound stats, they could tell Segun / Bruno / Garuba / Tari or whomever to not grab the easy DEF REB... but that's not healthy at all.

#2690 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  11. Spooner

Spooner Member

If you are trying to gleam who a killer is through interviews instead of looking at the resume, you are absolutely projecting in one way or another.

Im just tired of people citing this mentality trait as a positive or negative. It’s all a product of subjective influence. Michael Kidd Gilchrest had the mentality of Jordan and the work ethic of Kobe according to pundits. We don’t know any of these players personally and it’s disingenuous to assume we do. I’m not calling Jabari a bust I actually think he’ll be ok. I could in theory claim he’s not a killer. And you see? I can make that blanket statement just like you did about Paolo because it’s subjective and not quantifiable. The only evidence we have of success before these guys got into the league heavily weighs in Paolo’s favor. You don’t need to find hope in potential or demeanor when a player is giving you tangible results.

jiggyfly, Yung-T and MystikArkitect like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Jesus I just saw his stat line from last night. That's pretty damn rough. He desperately needs to add weight/strength.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Guess you missed people claiming he is already the worst player of the draft.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Idiot response

Spooner likes this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

All I care about Jabari is how good he will be in a couple years.

16. dmoneybangbang

Guess so, I see nothing about that the last several pages. I replied to you in the context of these last several pages. I don’t really concern myself if some idiot says he’s the worst player in the draft after like 10 games.

We should be patient with Jabari, but that doesn’t just hand wave away his play or can’t discuss the issues.

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'd say making an argument that hinges on his current percentage and getting it wrong (it's actually 30.4%) is probably dumber than any prediction anyone could make about his future. At least they still have a chance to be right.

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Wasn’t wrong just stats site wasn’t updated it, but I guess nice try thinking you had an opportunity to jump on a non-point? Slow clap

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hope he will be a three-making machine and lock-down wing defender next year.

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jabari has lost his confidence when shooting the ball, his demeanor is totally different then in Auburn. He looks nervous out there. He need to limit his shot selection to 10 shots a game, and work to get a great shot on top of the key, he looks more comfortable on top of the key.