1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Huh? Since 2020 we’ve missed JV for 2 whole years, LMJ for 75% of a year and the playoffs in another year. Those were our 2 best pitchers on opening day 2020. We haven’t been lucky with injuries. We’ve been so damn good on the mound the injuries haven’t mattered.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Talking about this year. Those previous years had better lineups with worse bullpens and worse starting pitching. Didn't matter in the season as much as it did in the playoffs/WS where you have Garcia starting a pivotal game 6 on 3 days rest.

3. Jeremy Williams

I'm not sure soon-to-be 36 year old Abreu is much of an upgrade over just-turned 38 Yuli. I know Abreu's 4.2 WAR greatly trumps Yuli's -0.3 WAR in 2022, but Yuli had 3.7 WAR in 2021. Abreu and Yuli both had negative dWAR. I know Abreu would be much more expensive and would likely take a 3 year deal. I'd prefer a team friendly 1 year deal for Yuli, with time for Yanier to grow into a full-time role.

I think Chas takes CF. The bigger ? is LF.

I'd take Verlander at the front of our rotation instead of Abreu (over Yuli) and Nimmo (over Chas, or whomever) every single time.

raining threes likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Just like the Astros have repeatedly said they won't use Tucker in CF they have also said they don't want Chas in CF full time, that they see him better as a corner OF.

Even now they view Dubon as a better CF and have him as defense sub.

I do not see the Astros handing Chas the starting CF job. He only gets it if the other options fail and that would be bad.

I also think the Astros feel their CF of the future is in the organization whether it's Meyers, Leon, Gilbert, Barber, or someone else.

That means if they bring in a CF it will not be one on a 3+ yr old deal.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't think using Yanier at 1B full time makes a lot of sense. He should be groomed as backup C. Think there needs to be a dependable top 6 hitter at 1B no matter what and I don't think Yanier is anywhere close to that. Yuli ain't that anymore either. Abreu would be a massive upgrade in production and stability.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. xcrunner51

Agree with the idea that the Stros won't bring in external to cover CF. It needs to be a position they don't spend money on, cuz they're basically having to spend on everything else except for SS.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't think Diaz has any interest in being a catcher.

I would bet he plays a few games here and there at catcher in 2023 and by 2025 everyone will have forgotten he even was a catcher.

His MLB level tools all require a bat in his hand.

No Worries likes this.
  8. xcrunner51

I don't think he *wants* to be a catcher, but the org can definitely block his path at 1B/DH and get him to reconsider.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Of course they can

But the Astros consider catcher a cerebral and defense first position.
    I think the Astros have decided that because he does not want to be a catcher that they don't want him to be a catcher.

Astros consider catcher a cerebral and defense first position that can not be filled by someone without 100% commitment.

A prospect with an average bat would be buried at AAA or traded/released but his bat is special enough for them to move him.

10. HTown2017Champs

Re: Nimmo - Previously, I thought he’d be a good guy to sign to a Brantley deal. However, reports are now saying he’s likely to get $25M+. No thanks. I’d rather sign Rizzo to 3 years, $18M annually, extend JV, and make a trade for a controllable CF or C. Let Montero walk (a lot of $$$ committed to the pen already) and roll with Pressly/Neris/Stanek/Abreu/Martinez/Maton, and hope one or two guys (like Taylor, Mushinski, Paredes, Dubin) take the next step. We can always get a solid rental at the deadline if we really need one.

11. Jeremy Williams

We won’t have the budget for $18/year to Rizzo. And I think Rizzo gets closer to $25/year.

12. Jeremy Williams

I see Yanier full time at 1B in 2024 or 2025. Yuli for another year is not a bad option for the cost.

13. raining threes

I could see a trade though. Maldy is very long in the tooth.

Jeremy Williams and BlindHog like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What about Rowdy Tellez?

His stats look like he should be a productive lower half of the lineup bat.

MLBtraderumors lists his likely arb salary at $5.3M and Milwaukee may want to move him simply because of the sheer number of srb eligible players they have and the salary bump it would mean.

Not sure of his defense.

Not sure what they may need in return but 1B are usually pretty cheap as trade pieces

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’s 38 years old and just put up a season 18% below average at 1st Base! He’s literally a terrible option at any price. He’s a negative value player over the course of a season that thankfully has gotten hit in a 10 game stretch in the playoffs.

No Worries likes this.
  16. Jeremy Williams

With days of rest included, he’s an elite player. Every day he’s had rest his performance has peaked.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Ok. So he needs to come back as a sun that can only DH and play 1B? Don’t think that works. If Dusty is here Yuli needs gone. If they want to platoon him against LHP and the manager is onboard I’m ok I guess.

18. Jeremy Williams

I think Yuli coming back to hand the baton off to Yanier would be the ideal scenario.

raining threes likes this.
  19. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

wrong thread

20. Buck Turgidson

Pretty sure that's what my Uncle named his dog.

IdStrosfan likes this.