1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't think the offensive coordinator is telling mills to throw flat passes when we need 10 yards

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Naw but he is calling fade routes to Rex burkhead.

And also letting off the gas in the 2nd half in the opener.

And not calling Pierce number enough

deb4rockets and DatRocketFan like this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I honestly think it's hard to gauge the oc since mills throws in itself were so inconsistent and off. Man couldnt even throw passes to the sidelines. I guess a good oc would have forced the running game more often if he has a weak qb

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Is Davis Mills the most boring QB in the league?

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bryce young coming don’t worry

But that “No Coast Offense” that pep runs has been underwhelming and yea that’s due to the players but man the play calls in some situations is not good and having the wrong personnel in there like the huge 3 and 1 and we run it with burkhead smh.

And I’m well aware he had Herbert balling the year before but anybody could of been his QB coach and he would of balled out.

Same with Andrew Luck

6. HstnSprtsFan101

Simply have to have a superstar QB in this league to have any sort of chance. Davis will never be that guy, not his fault..just simply doesn’t have any of the superstar traits. CJ Stroud, Bryce Young & Will Levis have the traits..just have to choose correctly

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Whatever Houston does just don’t bench him. Maybe he will improve or maybe he just keeps losing and we get a top pick for his replacement.

Jimmy G or Driskell or Kyle Allen ain’t the answer.

Qan and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Aggie move, right?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That just means he might be a good QB coach anyway. Doesn’t make him good as an OC. Since we’re knee jerking, Mills looked much better under Kelly.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

I feel like these accuracy issues are new this season, last year he made much better throws it seems.

whag00, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, and it’s very discouraging

whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Gameplan hasn't changed.

Let Mills throw it 500+ times.

Find out what you have.

Invest in the QB spot accordingly.

14. Major

Major Member

Remember when this thread was a thing and people here were trying to actually convince others that Mills was good?

15. SuraGotMadHops

I am guilty.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Difference between saying he’s good and he showed potential at the end of last year.
    It’s indisputable he was really good last 5 games last season. It’s also indisputable he fell off a cliff and regressed this season.
    He deserved a shot to see what he could do, he fell flat and we need to move on. Simple as that

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. raining threes

Most saw the last 5 games and wanted to see what he could do over a full season.

I can make a case with the lack of weapons and Lovie/Peps incompetence that Mills still hasn't gotten a fair chance.

whag00 likes this.
  19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Yup it’s easy to second guess and criticize now but most of the Mills supporters (including myself) incorrectly assumed that he would take a step up in his second year with the addition of a new RB, a first round guard, a second round slot and a new OC.

I also don’t recall Mills haters offering up a viable alternative. Did they want Mayfield? Garoppolo? Osweiller? Draft Pickett?

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Big Tex

Big Tex New Member

I have coached a long time and if you don't put players in a position to be successful they will fail. No matter how talented they are. Change out as many QB's as you want and they will all fail to different degrees without a solid base foundation. Our offensive line is below average. Mills has too much pressure in his face due to inconsistent interior line play especially when teams know its a passing situation. Inability to step up in a pocket is one of the leading factors in inaccuracy for QB's. Our tackle play has been pretty good and that's a positive. We make too many mental mistakes, wrong routes, poorly run routes, lack of separation, false starts in key situations. I remember Troy Aikman once saying if he can't trust his receivers to be where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there he won't throw them the ball due to lack of trust. Hell, look at two of the best struggling this year, Rogers and Brady because they have trust issues with receivers. I watched Cooks and Dorsett each run out patterns right at the sticks and neither one simply reached the ball out to get the first down when they had 5 yards of space. Unacceptable. Small things matter. Despite Pierce's great effort our running game is very inconsistent which keeps us from moving the ball consistently. Too many 3rd and longs. Now to the coaching, scheme and play calling. I think Lovie and Pep are not a stupid as we think and they know what the problems are and are trying to establish a fundamental way they want to play until they can get better players. Do what you do until you get good at it. Chicago is doing this too but with better results running the football. Its not easy especially in a win now business. They are running a very basic offense, not because that's what they want to run but because they aren't very good. They are working with Mills to teach him to protect the football which he does pretty well compared to some of the more highly thought of QB's. Throw it away and punt the ball is not the worst decision especially if our defense was better. It's not sexy but I think they are correct. But it takes time and we all know they really don't have time to build.

In closing this Team is not good and has many things that need to be fixed on both sides of the ball. As some of these things get fixed they will begin to look better often in other areas as well. I don't know whether Mills will ever be an NFL QB or if Pep and Lovie have the ability to lead us to a Super Bowl. But I can tell you they have bigger problems than QB that must be fixed before we will know what we have in Mills. Trying to evaluate QB's without watching film and knowing what the Coaches were asking players to do gives you false information. Anyone see the Rogers video from 2 weeks ago where the WR broke off his route, was wide open and Rogers through an incompletion right where WR was supposed to be. Rogers was hot! Trust is important. Doesn't mean we can't see some traits. I think Mills throws a good ball when he has a clean pocket, and for the most part takes care of the ball. I also think he needs to get better when he gets off script and has to improvise. Not all great QB's are great at improvising. Brady and Manning aren't as good as Mahomes and Rogers in that area. But they are 2 of the best who ever played at being perfect on script. The more plays you make to your strengths the more successful you will be. Just wanted to give an alternative view.