1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock (Draft) the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Need to see who else on the board before drafting Johnson 10 is high for him imo

LB instead of the DE from Clemson

Don’t want to double dip on RB so pass on Rodriguez at that point.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

1. Bryce Young
    1. Jalen carter
    2. Darnell Washington
    3. Devon Achane
    3. Ricky Stromberg
    4. Zay Flowers

3. raining threes

Rule of thumb don't pick Clemson players high. Don't know why the draftniks community is so high on the Clemson DE. He doesn't have an outstanding trait. Reminds me of Dodds and Farrell.

I'm using Achane as a Hill type mismatch guy. Not as only a RB. Play Achane in the slot and outside in addition to RB. Rodriguez has starter level qualities and would be a great compliment to Pierce.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. raining threes

According to most mocks I've seen Carter won't be there with the Browns pick and in alot of mocks Washington is now going in the late 1st.

Would you trade a high 2nd and a 3rd to move up for Washington. I very well might do it. But probably not since this is a deep TE class.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Looks good! Would like to add a solid MLB, that can tackle and play in the passing game.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Why would we take a WR so high if we have nobody to throw the ball to him?

Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Because he will possibly be the best player available at that point.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

WR would be the best we could do with the Browns 1st rounder? Our own 2nd rounder? Not sure I follow, but to each their own. We tried that with Nico and look how thats going.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. sydmill

sydmill Member

With draft capital that the Texans have I would want to walk out the draft with my future at QB, a strengthened defense, O-line help and some special teams talent. While thats a lot to ask for out of a single draft, the Texans have the most ammo and some premium picks to work with. My thoughts:

- The only QB I consider at the top is Young. I maybe consider Levis with Cleveland's pick but if Young is gone to Detroit I am looking at the next tier of QBs to sit a year behind Mills next season. Currently I would give serious thought to Cameron Ward in round 2 to develop next year.
    - With that Cleveland pick I want Anderson or Murphy or trade back. Maybe Atlanta is interested if Levis or Stroud is there for their first, second and third rounders? Tampa Bay for Brady's replacement for a similar deal? Maybe you even trade down twice? If the Texans could turn Cleveland's pick into a late first and two additional seconds and maybe more than that you have the chance to address a lot of concerns.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson who? Will Anderson? He is not making it to the Cleveland pick. It’ll most likely be 6 or lower with Deshaun coming back. He’s not lasting that far.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

VC - Getting a dynamic WR with Brownies pick would be huge. Nico was a 3rder and he's been decent and appears to be improving.
    We need talent across the board.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont disagree entirely with the idea, but mix and matching players on both sides when you could fully revamp the defense in one year and then focus on offense with new QB, OC, WR next season just seems to make more sense to me.

raining threes, Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Gotcha, I think we're about 2 more seasons from being close to where we want to be and obviously QB is key.
    I'm not opposed to taking anything right now because I think we need talent across the team.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

This times 10

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. raining threes

My plan has them signing LB's in FA.

Wattafan, Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  16. raining threes

I want Johnston because I think he's a stud and I'm wanting to pair Johnston with a 2024 drafted QB if Mills doesn't improve.Johnston is really good. Most big guys aren't as fast or move as smoothly as Johnston. Dude is really talented.

17. raining threes

This is a good plan. Who do you like at say #10 on the defensive side of the ball? I dont like any of the edges except for Anderson in the top 10.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-qb-cowboys-packers-add-offensive-playmakers/

1-2. Bryce Young — The Texans should absolutely be nervous about a team jumping them for a quarterback, but in this mock they get their guy. And that guy is Bryce Young, whose poise, vision and accuracy outweigh his historically small stature (relative to successful NFL quarterbacks). Some teams may be scared away by Young's lack of size, but his skillset warrants being the first quarterback taken.

1-12. Quentin Johnston — Pairing Quentin Johnston, potentially the No. 1 wide receiver in this class, with Bryce Young would immediately provide this offense with some firepower, especially with running back Dameon Pierce coming off an impressive rookie campaign. Not only would opposing defensive backs have to keep up with Johnston, but they'd have to deal with his 6-foot-4, 215-pound frame with the ball in the air.

1-1 Bears Jalen Carter
    1-3 Cardinals Will Anderson Jr.
    1-4 Colts CJ Stroud
    1-9 Panthers Will Levis
    1-20 Seahawks Anthony Richardson

raining threes likes this.
  19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Love a good mock...
    No trades, but won't be surprised if Caserio does.
    #2 - CJ Stroud QB OS
    #12 - Tyree Wilson ED TT
    #33 - Jaxon Smith Njigba WR OS
    #65 - Luke Wypler C OS
    #73 - Mekhi Garner CB LSU
    #101 - Tank Bigsby RB Aub.
    #133 - Trey Dean III S FL
    #174 - Anfernee Orji LB Vand.
    #186 - Jacob Slade DL Mich. St
    #191 - Juice Scruggs IOL Penn. St
    #192 - Gabriel Murphy ED UCLA
    #215 - BPA
    I took two of Stroud's key Offense buddies for chemistry/ familiarity - a big help for a rookie QB. Wypler is the leader of that OS line while Njigba was one of his main go-to guys.

#59 Wattafan, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    red5rocket likes this.
  20. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Exactly. And I took it a step further in my mock by taking Luke Wypler C OS. Three key buddies would be a huge help for a rookie.