1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Game 4 Rockets vs. Grizzles!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LA's #1 Rocket Fan, Jul 17, 2001.

1. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Last game for the rockets at the LA summer League. I'm already going to miss seeing the rockets in person(the only time I ever since any NBA game was back when I was in junior high in 93 the Rockets vs. the clippers game 3 1st round playoffs)but I had a great time at all these games. Especially yesterday and today because we got the win and it feels so good to be on the winning side. Anyways lets get down to talking about the game.

The game! We won!! what can I say the rockets never let down or give up and we came back to win again from being down 14("don't under estimate the heart of a champion" quote RT) It almost seems like the rockets want to be down in the game to come back as a challenge, of course its not though but the rockets are getting good at it(comebacks). At the end of 1 the rockets 25 and the grizzles 35 and it could of been worse. The gizzles defense really hurt the penetration and dish of the rockets and their ability to shot outside shots. The 2nd quarter rockets come alive and end the half at 53 grizzles 56. 3rd quarter the rockets go on a 5-0 run to start. it seems like every time the grizzles score a bucket the rockets score right after and end the 3rd up 77 to 75. 4th the rockets break it open with 2 back to back 3pters and follow with a 2pter on a 8-0 run that breaks the momentum of the grizzles and from there the rockets just build the lead to finish the game 108 grizzles 93. Seemed like we could do no wrong in the 4th scoring 31pts.

Now lets talk about Eddie Griffin, Griffin, Griffin(echoing)!!! He just keeps improving his play after every game. Lets start with the before the game warm up practice, He starts off with 15-20ft outside shots and misses his first 6 shots most of them really short, then makes one hits nothing but net then another and all of a sudden I'm counting every make and I'm at 9 straight outside(some of them 3s) then EG misses one but makes his next two and its time for the game to start. EG starts at Center. 1st quarter EG instead of shooting the 20ft as his 1st shot he post up and shots a turn around 10ft but it bounces off the rim. A few plays later S. Battier goes dribbles on the left beats his man and looks like he has an open lay up(but being the smart player he is, he sees EG coming) insteads pulls up for a 5fter and bam EG hits that ball hard to the glass only thing is it was called goaltending. A couple of plays later EG gets an offensive rebound turns in the air and hits a 10 ft shot. A couple of plays after that(maybe a min later) EG goes to the middle, gets the ball and hits a fade away 5fter shot. Next play back EG goes back to the middle only this time hits a fade away 10ft shot(if he didn't fade he would of definitely gotten block). Two plays later EG goes to post up and gets foul shooting a 15fter but misses the shot, makes one ft. Right after than he goes down to the middle to play defense and bam just jumped so high and blocked his mans shot attempt and then runs out knowing his teammate has the ball to get the fast break point, EG runs to the basket wide open after beating everyone down and SC sees him and passes the ball right on the dot for an ally oop dunk, but the ball bounces off the rim. Now with about 1.6 seconds left in the 1st the rockets are inbounding from the behind the oppositions basket and no one is open but EG fakes left than right around the rockets basket and the inbounce ball flies right to him and two defenders are on him and he catches the ball with is back to the basket, turns right in to defense to slice right between them and fires a shot right in time but it just was alittle long, I mean it when half way in and bounce out. In about 4 mins of play towards the end of the first he just put on a show. Wow 7 points in the first and all of it in 4mins(I think). 2nd quarter EG doesn't play until towards the last 3 or 4 mins of the game. The Grizzlies PF is just taking it to EG and on one play he just goes strong one handed and dunks while EGs bodys all over him in the air, and he got the foul call. So right after that EG(probably mad that happen, just my opinion here, hard to tell with him and his straight face) goes right down court and post up and ask for the ball on the right and the grizzles PF comes to guard him and EG goes strong jumps high, one hand up with the ball and just tries to jam it on the grizzly player, but the grizzlies PF fouls him hard to make sure he misses the dunk, EG hits two fts. Ends the half with 9 points(that was his total for game one and its just half-time). 3rd quarter EG does the O. Thorpe pass again right when he got the rebound he just throws it high and far and it lands right in front of a speeding Oscar Torres for the open layup(he's so good at passing right when he gets the rebound and knowing if theres a fast break opportunity, cherry picking). A few plays later EG post up and hits a turn around 10ft that he banks of glass from the left side of the court. Many plays later in the 3rd EG gets open at the top and nails a straight 20fter. EG comes in the 4th quarter around the 8 min mark. EG tries the pick and roll with SC and SC finds EG open for the 15fter and EG hits nothing but net. A few plays later EG post up but can't get the ball so he backs out walking(maybe running) backwards to the 3pt line and gets the ball and hits the 20fter(he's learning how to get the ball instead of wait for the ball to come to him) nothing but net again. On another play a player beats his man and goes right at EG and Bam EG blocks it hard but I think a foul was called before the block. EG finishes with 17 points and I counted 8 boards. He's getting better and better and looks more and more comfortable out there. He does have problems when a player drives on him, he has a hard time defending it and alot of the times the player can get a lay up. EG is really good at blocking players that post up or set up and shoot in front of him. His shots are getting better, but he does release it quick when he catches and pops it(IMO if he took a second longer to get comfortable he would make more, he looks like he forces it up to early in the first 3 games). He’s looking more comfortable at posting up and shooting over his man with a turn around. I really can see the improvement from the first game.

Dan the man was not the superman he usually was in the first 3 games. But he did not really get much playing time to be fair. I think Oscar Torres had something to do with that(his great play). DL started at SF against the Grizzlies. DL open the game with an airball again from 15ft, then his next shot was the second shot for the rockets also and got blocked hard, then this 3rd shot DL got the ball right under the basket and when straight up for the two hand slam dunk but got rejected hard, I mean the grizzly player must of just blocked the ball with DL still holding it, DL just when backwards instead of forward, like someone push reverse on the vcr to see the play again, he just when down, I didn't think there was such a move in the laws of physics, it wasn't pretty. But then his 4rd shot was a big time play. DL was on the far left(and if its open he will go for the dunk) so he fakes his man in the air and now it's open so he runs right in and bam he dunks it so hard and goes so high I think he went right over a player while doing it, the whole place when nuts, I mean the crowd was clapping, cheering and(get this) even stomping their feet(everyone was doing something that made noise). I give him a 10 on that dunk. To be honest with you that's all I remember him doing, he when out of the game after that.

Terence Morris started at PF. Trock missed his first shot which was a 20ft close to the end of the first. 2nd quarter TM plays great defense on one play in which his man shakes and bakes and drives then shots a 5ft and bam TM just blocks it(got some Ooooos and Ahhhs from the crowd). He misses a 20fter and a 15fter. 3 quarter TM runs down the middle puts his right hand in the air while running down and SC again does a great inside pass to TM who then just keeps the ball and his hand up and lays it in without dribbling or pulling it to his waist. He's quick at putting it up, i mean 0 to the basket in 1 second. A few plays later TM hits a 20fter with a defender right in his face. 4th quarter TM defending on S. Battier, SB moves left, moves right, gets by TM round the 20ft line, drives in for a open lay up and just when you think TM is out of the play he jumps with SB and blocks it from behind. Great play defensively considering most people at the games think SB is the best SF at the games. That's pretty much it for TRock. Finishes with 7pts, but miss alot of 15ft-20ft shots.

Sean Colson hit his first shot which was a 3pter. Scored 19pts but not in bunches like in the first two games, just scored at the right time during the game. He really his trying to pass it inside as often as he gets the chance, esp. on fast breaks and with TM going to the basket. Doing a great job in the last two games playing the pick and roll with EG. He's becoming more 50-50 pass first shoot later point guard. I think his shots can come anytime, he has the quickness and moves to create his own shots. He had a nice move where he when up and under for a lay up in the second. Had a really nice alley oop assist to a slam dunking OT then on the next play down got an assist from TM for a turn around 15ft shot. In the fourth he hit a nice 3pt with a defender running right at him. Later in the 4th he when coast to coast, got the inbound from under the grizzle basket when right through all 5 defenders and laid it up effortless. Much better now at looking to create shots for teammates.

Jason Collier was not even at the game, but with Axel Dench he wouldn't even need to play. Axel missed his first shot which was a 20ft but came right back down and nailed a 3pter the next time down. Missed a few 20fts though. In the 3rd AD on one play got the offensive rebound, shot a 10fter that hit the right side of the rim, then beat everyone to the rebound as it when to the 3pt line, ran right in and shot a 5 foot hook that missed then ran back in for the rebound and got fouled. A couple of plays later in the 3rd AD hit a 2pt with his foot on the 3pt line. 4th quarter, AD drove from the 3pt line, when straight to the basket strong between two players and laid it up but the ball just rolled around the rim but didn't go in. Nice move though. He missed some 15fters and some fts also but still finished with 10pts. AD set some nice screens also.

Oscar Torres was lighting it up from 3pt range, had a nice reverse slam dunk, had a nice one hand dunk, even hit a shot while jumping out of bounce from the back of the basket but it didn't count since he was out of bounce. He was looking to fast break almost every time down the court. He hit a couple of 15fters with defenders in his face. What can I say he was in a zone today.
    Great offensive showing. He finished with 25pts.

V. Hamliton really has some good hands, he was getting a lot of loose balls and forcing a lot of turnovers. He puts out a lot of effort also, on one play a player was already going out of bounce and he just jumped in the air to make sure the player didn't shoot it and landed hard on his behind and made a loud noise. I mean I was on the other side of the court and I could hear it as if it happened right next to me, it must of hurt bad but he got up quick and ran down the court. Hard working player.

OS is a hard worker too, he is really aggressive going to the basket, doesn't take no(triple team) for an answer not to take it. OS finished with 11pts.

Great game to finish off the LA summer league, I enjoyed every game and was glad to have been able to see it and report it to everyone. I hope I painted a somewhat picture of what happened. Man I hope they come back next year, I wouldn't miss it for anything(almost). I love these Rockets!!

side notes. in another earlier game (I happen to catch half) a clipper player named Jeff Mcninnis(SP?) scored 54 points. He just was on fire. SB hit for 20pts. Saw rocket jerseys in the crowd [​IMG] today. RT and LS where in the crowds today. They looke really relax, I wanted to talk to them and started to walk over but somehow made a turn at the concessions and walked back to my seat. It was good to see them there in support again though.

If you guys like to see some pictures, I have some at my picture site at:

http://public.fotki.com/323rocket/my_pictures/

If there's any questions you like to ask I'd be happy to try and answer, thanks again for reading.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LA's #1 Rocket Fan (edited July 17, 2001).]

2. Eddie Griffin

Eddie Griffin Member

I was wating for your game notes and it makes me happy reading it! [​IMG]

If anyone looking for the scoreboard, click here: http://www.proexposure.com/

3. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

LARocket, again thanks for your one-of-a-kind reports on the game. Among other things, your observations on players' progress from game to game is very interesting.

Hope you won't disappear from the board just because the LA Summer League is over!! Again, thanks for your hard work and GREAT game reports. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

5. Shandon Anversen

complete with the obligatory 89 line paragraph. [​IMG]

good job, tho. but, man, the enter key is not your enemy!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

6. carlit0

carlit0 Member

THanks again!!!! La #1

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Awesome post man. Why don't you just take some time off and fly to Denver for those games? [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

8. Tmo

Tmo Member

did anyone else notice the boxscore seemed unreliable? it had tmo down for zero blocks, when la said he had two.

------------------

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Who is this Oscar Torres!? 9 of 12 from the field, 5 of 6 from 3pt range, 26 points in 19 minutes. I guess he got hot, but who is he!?

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

11. Tmo

Tmo Member

Who cares who oscar torres is. If Jeff McInnis (former and unspectacular UNC point guard) can score 54 pts, and torres can only score half as much as he can, he must be bad. So much for griffin & tmo! These are really just pickup games.

------------------

12. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

According to the boxscore I read, McGinnis was not playing on the Clippers team. He was playing for some put-together team called the NBA Pros against some other team called IPM. The only other name I recognized on McGinniss' team was Alton Ford, interestingly enough. There was no one on IPM that I recognized.

The score was 140 to 126. I doubt the level of competition is anywhere close to the rookie second-year teams.

------------------

13. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Moe your right it was pickup game but JM really shined out there. They also had a short player out there that looked about my height around 5'9 and man it was fun watching him take it to the basket on big guys, everyone was rooting him to slam.

Tmo your right those box score in terms of points are totally different from the box score they had up in bright lights on the scoreboard. EG had 17pts, SC 19, AD 10, OT 25, OS 11 and TRock had 7. S. Battier had 20. I don't know whose right but if the scoreboard was wrong I'm sure someone would have noticed. I'm just glad we won!

Thanks again Eddie Griffin, Dallas Rocket, The Cat, Shandon Anversen, Carlit0, Vengence, Mr. T and everyone for your nice comments and replies.

------------------

14. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

Moe - You don't recongnize Jason Williams? You said you only recognized the names, Jeff Mcinnis and Alton Ford...and you left out the only player on the team that has actually done something in the NBA Jason Williams.....

------------------
    The Rockets Championship in 2001...Be-Steve-it

15. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Lewie, I totally missed Jason Williams. I wonder if it is the one we're thinking about. I noticed he led that team in rebounds with 8. How about it, LARockets, was it the Jason Williams?

------------------

16. drpepper

drpepper Member

LA #1 I know you probably don't remeber but I'll ask anyway, In the 1st game against the Clipps there was a player on their roster named Nick Shepperd 6-11 270 lb. How did he do, just curious, he's my neighbor's cousin.

------------------

17. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

Moe....Don't worry...I was at the game as well (one of those Rockets Jerseys in the crowd) That Jason Williams was some big stiff who actually looked like he had some mental handicap
    PS Eddie Griffin was very "fan-friendly" after the game, giving autographs and talking, same with Dan Langhi (his dunk WAS incredible). I saw Eddie running gingerly during the game and was a bit concerned, but he told me his knees were just a bit sore and getting back to game shape. Hopefully thats all it was. Very impressive player though!

------------------
    GO ROCKETS!

18. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Thanks, Houston-in-LA. If it had been the Jason Williams, I was going to point out that McGinnis got 54 points & Jason Williams only had 4 assists, but its a moot point, now.

Also of interest at that proexposure site, they have got up boxscores of New Jersey and Atlanta in the Shaw Summer League. Looks like an ugly game. The 3 picks Rockets traded for Eddie were mediocre. Dermarr Johnson, whom some people are clamoring for was 0 for 8 in 30+ minutes. Ouch.

------------------

19. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Moe - no this jason williams was not the expectional rebounder from New Jersey or the spectacular point guard out of duke. I never seen him before but he played ok.

Rocket in LA - Awesome I was hoping all the rocket fans there came or knew about clutchcity.net. By the way are you the guy with the olajuwon jersey with the rocket cap or are you 6ft+ tall with the rocket jersey. The reason I'm asking is because I either sat about a couple of benches on top of your seat(if you had the cap on) or I pass you a couple of times during the half(if your 6+ft tall). Anyways good to know you and welcome to the board!

Drpepper - sorry I really don't remember his play although I do recall hearing his name said on the PA. I wish I could be of better service. Hope he makes it to the NBA.

Lewie221 - Did you say Alton Ford! Man during that pick up game I saw a player and I said wow that guy is big and he looks like Alton Ford but LOL I didn't know it really was him. You just never know who you'll see when your at these games.

------------------

20. Mr. T

Mr. T Member

stop complaining about the box score foo's -- I am going to start my job as a summer league beat writer -

[​IMG]

------------------
    "I find that the harder I work... the more luck I have" -- Thomas Jefferson
    "Weezie !!" -- George Jefferson

[This message has been edited by Mr. T (edited July 17, 2001).]