1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Silas 2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 21, 2022.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Remember when ROY meant something? Me either. It’s a meaningless reward. Hoping you were making a joke here. There are plenty of reasons to want Silas gone - how you could find the least important, most petty one is truly amazing.

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

why do Garrison Matthews, EG or Tate need development?

putting your players in the best position to succeed now is the best way for development. Cant run from a losing culture

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's why Silas is still here. There's no way they fire him midseason when they're trying to tank for Wemby or Scoot. And no veteran coach would want to take over right now anyway.

Next summer, this is gonna be a very appealing gig for prospective coaches out there. Especially if they wind up with a top 2 pick and one or two solid free agent acquisitions.

Rolliepollie and ArtV like this.
  4. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Technically winning a championship is meaningless too but us NBA fans are what put value behind it.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a tough schedule to open. We have to develop players...and, the system we'll ultimately have is dependent on some of these guys...growing up a little more... Sengun..the big man thing.... a chunk of offense will flow through him. We'll be a very potent offense once it's in place. Of course we won't be able to stop anybody inside, but that's another thing. I'm fine with Silas for now. Let em grow.

LeDakota and PatBev like this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

I personally think Silas is pretty bad. Some of his decisions I just can't understand no matter how hard i try.

Unless Stone is actively sabotaging him (which he might be) I think he's really bad but I don't mind right now.

It's early in the season, the schedule has been tough and I generally feel quite good about the direction of the franchise. If next year he still can't put together a gameplan or get the team to play competitive basketball, get a replacement.

7. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

This was supposed to be a fun year. A year of just watching the young kids develop and show progression, without having to stress about C Wood and W/L results.

But now, I’m back to hoping we go 1-15 to start this season. If that’s what it takes to get this fraud out of Houston, so be it. I just can’t stand watching our young players build these bad habits under Silas, and being set up to fail.

Next season we need to be competitive with OKC owning our draft pick. And we STILL don’t have an identity, structure, system, or any accountability in place. We’re going to be behind schedule when it’s time to win, despite having all this talent. This is truly malpractice.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

She is entertaining but I wonder if at some point her son or someone else will tell her to cut it out and calm down.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Technically yes, if we do not care about something it becomes meaningless.

bluffkin likes this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

He is doing his job why fire him? He is nothing more than a place holder. The fact that you think he is trying to do anything but tank means he has done his job. He has kept you thinking that he is trying to win. He has be historically successful at getting high draft picks. When Silas leaves Porter’s role will change and success will follow.

LeDakota and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This obsession with measuring him on winning is so dumb.

I am not sure why people think winning is the priority here.

fattz likes this.
  14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

No team will hire Silas as head coach except Rockets.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We aren't measuring him on winning. We are measuring him by witnessing a franchise forcing a okay talent into the centerpiece of a heliocentric offense like he is Luka at the detriment of the development of players with higher priority.

Essentially this franchise is trying to turn Jamal Crawford into Luka Doncic. That is exactly what people are complaining about. Not wins and losses. Listen to the complaints.

Don't believe look at the league leaders in time of possession with the ball per game and see who is the most out of place player in the top ten.

arno_ed and Richie_Rich like this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I don’t spend two+ hours every other night watching the team play in hopes of seeing us play like crap and lose. I’m happy for those on this board with zero competitive juice who can munch on their doritos enjoying watching guys like Nix turnover the ball 5 times in eight minutes and brick shots and freebies at the line. Congrats….that is the coach and team that is perfect for your level of entertainment value!!! You all are a bunch of weird idiots for enjoying watching bad unorganized losing basketball! Demand more from the team and yourselves.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Don't care about the winning. Eye test shows the team isn't developing good habits and their is no organization to the way they play. Jazz first year coach looks like he's 15 but you can tell he's actually coaching them up. I know the Rockets beat them the other day but it wasn't because Silas outcoached him.

ArtV, Richie_Rich, mirdirir and 3 others like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

none of this matters.

[​IMG]

bluffkin likes this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Old school guys like me grew up playing with a different mindset. I played hurt, unless I couldn't walk. The team was first and winning was the only goal. I'm not sure in today's world we can find many leaders like the one below.

What It Takes to be Number One
    "Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that's first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I don't ever want to finish second again. There is a second place bowl game, but it is a game for losers played by losers. It is and always has been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win.

Every time a football player goes to ply his trade he's got to play from the ground up - from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. That's O.K. You've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, you've got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body. If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he's never going to come off the field second.

Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization - an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win - to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is.

It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there - to compete. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules - but to win.

And in truth, I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline. There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat.

I don't say these things because I believe in the ‘brute' nature of men or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour -- his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear -- is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Coach Vincent T. Lombardi

slothy420, mirdirir and J.R. like this.
  20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Reminds me of Silas developing Nwaba and Brooks, where are they right now?

Silas is like headless chicken, don’t know who are the players we should develop.

ashleyem and bluffkin like this.