1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Paolo Banchero as a ORL Magic thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 26, 2022.

1. dmoneybangbang

Fans have a terrible habit of assuming the team we have now will be the team we start competing with. I like Green and Sengun but they shouldn’t be the reason we pass on another playmaker/scorer. Likewise, KPJ shouldn’t factor in our selection of the top draft pick.

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Must be nice to draft guys that can shoot.

:)

DD

4. JW86

JW86 Member

Great to see him do well. Still higher on Jabari on the long run :)

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3724807/2022/10/24/deandre-hunter-paolo-banchero-nba-week-one/

Rookie of the Week: Paolo Banchero, PF, Orlando
    (Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best rookie of the week. Just the one I’ve been watching.)

With the Magic visiting Atlanta on Friday, I got my first in-person look at the top pick in the draft in an NBA setting.

Watching him warm up before the game, two things immediately stood out: First, that he’s getting more air under his shot than he did at Duke last March, and second, that he’s filled out even more physically. Most rookies leave you thinking, “Wow, he looked bigger in college,” once you see them against other NBA players; I had the opposite reaction when Banchero walked out of the tunnel. The Magic may want to be careful he doesn’t bulk up too much, actually; remember, Banchero doesn’t even turn 20 until next month.

Banchero is the first teenager to start this career with three straight 20-point games; while he is at a modest 52.7 percent true shooting (despite making 80.8 percent from the line), I’d say the eye test on him has been mostly positive. He can really handle the ball for his size and is doing it to much greater effect than he could at Duke, and his size around the paint is allowing him to draw fouls in quantity (26 freebies in three games). He’s not a crazy leaper but will be much more dangerous once he refines his finishing package. (In particular, he’s still defaulting to using his right hand on the left side of the rim.)

Orlando had him working on attacking pick-and-roll ice coverages before the game, to give you an idea of where the Magic see this thing headed. Check out this play, for instance, as Banchero grabs a rebound in traffic, pushes it the length of the court and has the vision to see the Hawks’ mismatched in transition in order to feed Wendell Carter Jr. for a dunk.

Vid

Subjectively, I was also encouraged by how well Banchero held up defensively. His lack of length loomed as a potential issue heading into the draft, but he’s blocked six shots in three games and hasn’t been in foul trouble. The Magic have kept him at the four and mostly eschewed lineups with him in the middle for now; one of Carter or Mo Bamba has been on the floor for all but eight minutes this season. Longer-term, it’s pretty easy to envision a Banchero-Franz Wagner frontcourt creating mismatch havoc.

Bigger picture answers about role and ceiling remain to be answered. Can Banchero be an elite shot creator in the half court? Will his jumper be consistent enough to panic defenses? Who knows, but the fact we’re even asking questions like this three games into his career is a good sign.

Yung-T, B-Bob and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

God did I tell you how much I hate the magic? Another great game for him tonight

7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

he is going to leave them when his contact is up 7 years from now.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Paolo is now at 120 points scored in 5 games.

Durant clocked in second in the modern era at 113.

Paolo was never ours to pick, but still feels bad being smokescreened for 3 months. Analyzing Paolo's game and falling in love.

LikeMike, Mr Woods and Verbal Christ like this.
  10. Calvin Murphy's Law

Hindsight is 20/20, and the lottery far from an exact science, but it's incredible how often I heard people saying they'd pass on Banchero if he fell to the Rockets #3.

His playmaking and ability to handle the ball would fit the Rockets like a glove.

Yung-T, Mr Woods, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's definitely looking like the best player in the draft so far, but it's early.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Paolo is so damn good. Glad to see him having success from the jump and no lie im surprised a bit that he's just hit the ground running looking like a seasoned vet. Sigh what could have been.

red5rocket and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Rockets813

Rockets813 Member

Being close to the Orlando area it was all indication that Jabari Smith would have been the pick at number one. I would have loved to have been in that draft room the day of the draft to see what made them change their minds. Personally I would have gone with the mystery box Shadon Sharpe because as much as I liked the top 3 guys they all had flaws as well.

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

Rockets are on track to be saying Banchero who?? If Rockets keep up this type of performance they will be locks for a Top 3 pick again with great odds at #1 Webanyama. Banchero won't hold a candle to that guy. I'll be pissed at whatever team (not the Rockets) that lands him.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

?

What is your point here?

You are glad the Rockets will suck because we maybe will get Webanyama?

So you think Banchero would have been to good to be in the running for Webanyama so you are happy we don't have him?

Banchero is looking like a Generational type guy as well and might be even better than Weby does is Weby a plus playmaker?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

#177 i3artow i3aller, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Yung-T, Jontro and J.R. like this.
  18. Rokman

Rokman Member

I don't think Banchero is going to be able to score on Wemby. He'll need to be a good passer cause he won't be able to get a shot off.

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Dude, we can have at best a 14% chance at Wemby. It is pretty likely that Paolo will be better than any of Jalen, Jabari, Sengun/KPJ.

20. Rokman

Rokman Member

Anyone else read this as BP&JJJ

Extra Jelly baby!!

jiggyfly likes this.