1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ClutchFans] Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sengun.eth you mean

2. albuster

albuster Member

There have been countless big/strong/fast players in the NBA in the past three decades but without basketball IQ they have all gone to the dustbin of NBA history. There have been so many "baby Jordans" but they have all been forgotten. You know better than most in this blog that it's not all about height, strength, and speed. The greatest players had extremely high basketball IQ to go with their physical skills while many with much fewer physical skills became great. There are so many factors that determine success but basketball smarts and a complementary system are among them. Sengun is showing that he plays smart so we will see.

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

He's actually been consistently average on defense too going by stats, but most people on here are barely literate in general, nevermind mathematically capable.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

it’s just randomness that fans buy into, albeit partially pushed by the organization as well.

rockets are horrible defensively… MUST be because of Alpi! Nvm he played like 20 mpg last year and only 24 mpg this year so far (so half the game).

It can’t possibly be because the coaching is as bad as possible.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

When you dislike a player just throw broad ass generic slander, and assume the folks on here won't fact check u and if they do just ignore it. If you repeat the slander enough soon all dem folks will repeat it even if it's not true

6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

So which idiot's alterego might you be... Hmm...

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That's going quite far. Green is a superstar talent. Idk about the other two. Sengun Is great also but he still needs improvement to his game.

Man needs to work on stamina and avoid dem fancy high iq passes that nobody could react well enough to receive

8. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Read his other messages.
    As for those fancy passes:
    1. They're crowd pleasers,
    2. Last year he was dubbed Baby Jokic because of them.
    A couple of turnovers and now he should stop?
    Naaah.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'll believe the guy who makes wacky low success rate trick passes and fouls repeatedly is high b-ball IQ player when he's not the guy who makes wacky low success rate trick passes and fouls repeatedly

KingCheetah, Corrosion and maj21 like this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

The basketball IQ thing is so overrated with him, but our entire team lacks basketball IQ. Big reason why we’re awful

Corrosion likes this.
  11. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

Yeah i think even this " IQ" thing is so overrated .who needs i " iq" ? We can observe this in your self contradictiory comments.

12. maj21

maj21 Member

Weak

13. albuster

albuster Member

Of course, it's hard for those "wacky" passes to succeed partly because of his teammates who don't know a great pass when they see one. They just don't know how to react. Those passes are nothing new when you watch the Divac and Webber passes with the Kings. Draymond Green makes those passes too but his teammates are smart enough to anticipate them. I remember Ewing and Dream foul so much when they were just starting their careers. They even got into a number of altercations because of those fouls. I don't think you can call those two as lacking in basketball smarts. As I said, we will see.

DatRocketFan and Ankara1923 like this.
  14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Segun's defense hasn't been bad this year. Giannini had his way with him but he barely missed a shot that game. We had nobody to challenge him. I just looked at the NBA matchups and when Sengun got switched to Ja Morant, Ja was only 2 for 6 from the floor. I'll take that all day.

He's also rebounded very well and scored off the bench.

He hasn't had over 3 fouls in any of this seasons games so that's not an issue so far.

He obviously had the 6 TO night in the season opener but he's only had a single turnover in each of the other two games.

His assists are way down so far - he's only averaging one assist more per game than me. Not really worried about that though, his assists will come around.

He certainly needs to be more secure with the ball, but that should come with age and experience.

With a team this young, team defense is going to take a while. Sengun makes mistakes but he does a good job of covering for teammates defensively.

I personally, don't think that he's going to be a star but I believe that he's going to be a very good player.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I have considered it, and I do not think that is the case. If that was the case Silas would make sure that Sengun was finishing games, which he didn’t when Fernando played. Furthermore if that was the case he could mention it. When asked about these things he first used the stamina thing, and the lack of defense or any other excuse.

I am not saying that Silas doesn’t know what he is doing. I am saying that Silas has a system in mind, and values certain things in centers more than other things. Furthermore he doesn’t want to adapt to fit the skillset of players like Sengun. Many coaches are like that. And it is a shame, especially in a rebuilding team you want someone that tries to develop their best young players to use their strengths.

Silas also make a point of pointing out the flaws in Sengun’s game, even when he had a great game Silas still points out: Yes had had a great game, but he has to learn to avoid the turnovers or any other weakness in Sengun game. He doesn’t do that with his other talented young players.

Silas is not a fan of Sengun I think it is clear to everyone. I am 100% convinced that he would trade Sengun if he had the chance for a more rim running center if he was allowed to make such a decision.

I understand that you wouldn’t go as far as calling him a top 2 player. That is why I said that he is top 4, and I believe he is one of our best 2 players. I can understand someone saying he is not top2. But he is clearly one of our better players.

I agree with your point. This year is not about winning, but about developing. And if that is the case we should let our young talented people learn to play together. I want Green, Smith and Sengun on the court together as much as possible.

Again I am not saying Sengun is without flaws. He has certain clear flaws, but he also has strengths that make him a very talented player. He is only 20, and I believe we should treat him like a player we are trying to develop.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

He rebounding is atrocious?? He doesn't jump high, and as a result he sometimes loses rebounds that you think he could get. But his positioning and strength are great and as a result he often gets rebounds others would not have gotten. He is our leading rebounder even though 6 guys get more minutes than he does.

His defense is not ideal. That being said it is not as bad as some make it out to be. If he didn't play because his defense was so bad, then why did Wood play. Wood defense is worse than Senguns. And there are more players in our team with obvious weaknesses, and Silas does not make an effort to point those out.

cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This is where I'm at on Sengun.

Not a star but a pretty good player. Solid rotation guy .... every team can stand to have several guys like that.

Really reminded of Scola with the footwork & how he finds a way to finish around the rim over bigger or more explosive guys.

aelliott likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, if Chuck Hayes could run a high post offense, Sengun certainly can without shooting. But that's Adelman. I don't think Silas and his staff have that. Sengun needs to be able to shoot to convince the coaching staff he belongs.

I don't think you need to go through Sengun on every possession. We can use PnR. We can use traditional inside out with Sengun's ability to score in the low post. With Smith spacing the floor, the lane should be quite open.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The issue is that without much better shooting Sengun doesn't fit with the guard centric 5 out offense. He clogs the paint because his defender can drop off and ignore him when he doesn't have the ball. He's not a shooter, he's not a rim runner in the pick and roll and isn't a threat to pick and pop.

The defender cannot ignore him when Sengun has the ball / is the initiator of the offense, particularly so from the high or low post.

Easy likes this.
  20. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

For last 2 games, I would not call 21 rebounds (9 offensive), 5 total steals and blocks against Lopez and aquaman in approx 50 mins atrocious at all. Have you watched the games at all?

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.