1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do we need a upgrade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AlperenSengun, Oct 23, 2022.

?

what should we do first?

1. Upgrade starting center. Sengun and Bruno are not starting material.

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Upgrade startging pg. KPJ should eventually become 6th man.

42 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Upgrade coach. He is the source of all the problems.

39 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. Upgrade back up guard.

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think we need an upgrade in games played.

Richie_Rich, fattz, albuster and 5 others like this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

1) Center
    2) SF
    3) Backup PG

txtodd and maj21 like this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

How do I edit the poll? Looks like, we need 'All is good, just need experience' option.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It's not like we are one piece away. We have a lot of young, talented guys on the roster. Right now I feel like we have 6 guys that are pretty safe in our rotation (Green, KPJ, Jabari, Sengun and Eason). Judging from that I would say either a traditional PG or a rim protecting C. But in all honesty, we need more time to assess, what we have. From next season on winning will be one of our main objectives. That's when we can look at missing pieces.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It was instant experience. Like magic. So it doesn't matter who the coach was.

On Silas.
    I have no idea if he is a good coach or not? Neither do you.
    We haven't been trying to win games the last 2 years, the focus is on player development.
    All of
    Jalen Green
    Alpy Sengun
    Josh Christopher
    Looked good in stretches last year, that is tough to find time for 3 rookies and have them all look good.
    This year he needs to do the same for
    Jabari Smith
    Tari Eason
    He also needs to find some development time for Usman Garuba and Bruno Fernando had not even played 1000 minutes in his career before he got here.

This is all after having to debut Tate and Martin jr the year before the Green draft.

7 rookies who look like at least rotation players plus 2 young guys still under investigation plus 2 guys who are starters who had very few minutes before coming here.

Impossible to judge whether he can win games. What he probably CAN do is give players the opportunities they need to develop. So am I happy with him for this year? Sure.
    We need to get a max FA and push for the play-in next season (since we lost our pick) - so really the pressure is on him post all star break this year to see where he has got to

aaquaa, Corrosion, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am very aware that it is very hard to judge a coach on a losing team, especially with such a young roster. And also the main goal is player development, but part of player development is begin able to play as a team, play as a part of a system. And when there is no cohesion as a team, that starts to hurt player development because the only thing the player learns is how to execute some individual plays. Another part of it, some of the bad habits of players does not seem to be addressed by the coaching staff, because it keeps happening on a regular basis.

I really don't see anything on that end, or any attempt to improve on that end. That is why I am concerned.

Richie_Rich and albuster like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rafael Stone the Rockets GM said in a recent Rockets All Access video that he thought that it wouldn't be fair to put a number on the amount of wins\losses the Rockets will have this year because the team is still young and developing (not an exact quote but something to that affect). That tells me that even he believes that this team needs more seasoning. It's hard but I'm trying to be patient (I want to see this team win) and trust the process.

If the GM is not putting a priority on wins and losses this year then Silas is not on the hot seat regarding wins. His primary focus is on developing our young stars and making sure that the effort is there. I think he's doing a decent job at those two things so an upgrade at coach wouldn't be my vote.

1. Allow the players to get more experience
    2. If the lottery balls fall in our favor take Webanyama (if not take best player left)
    3. Allow the team to gel and see how many wins they can generate by their 3-4 years in league

9. dmoneybangbang

Not really important this season. We are still very much in rebuild despite what you heard or thought.

The offseason is when this question will truly be relevant. That said, the Rockets will still be predatory and if a young star/superstar becomes available then Rockets will unload their warchest; it's just unlikely that will be the case.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah this. I realize that some deluded themselves into thinking that we would compete for the play-in, but the reality is this team is way too young to be any good. It's not anyone's fault that we are 0-3; it is by design that we are 0-3.

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

My dream scenario to improve the team is get the number 1 draft pick and hire Kenny Atkinson to be the head coach.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It is hard for coaching staff to develop 2 guys, let alone 7!

Go back and watch Green early last year and then this year. Huge improvement

Or game to game adjustments like Alpy 6TOs in game 1 and 0 game 2.

Or Jabari Smith - watch his college tape dribbling. He was much more hunched over the ball, now slightly more upright and fluid.

Small things. But noticeable

I do think we should win both games vs Utah...

HP3 and glimmertwins like this.
  13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Playmaking superstar - this doesn't have anything to do with position. Luka/Lebron/Giannis/Jokic all play different positions.

Just get the best talent, you worry about positions later. If you have redundant talent you can always trade some of them to fill the gaps.

14. Ancient Moabite

Ownership, since it all starts n ends there

Richie_Rich, Ziggy and bluffkin like this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Defense is the obvious answer. We don’t necessarily have great rim protectors OR wings who can contain guys on the perimeter or make good rotations off ball. Fernando and Eason could solve those with time but I think you continue looking for more ceiling raisers in that capacity because giving up shots at the rim or open 3s are the easiest ways to lose games.

Silas may not be the best coach but even a HOF coach isn’t going to be able to coach through that much inexperience. He’s trying to develop 7 guys at once - frankly they need a guy who can be patient and creates psychological safety to allow guys to make mistakes. It’s ultimately how people push to their limits and learn when they go past them. He may come off as soft to a lot of old school types but this is a modern approach to building high performing teams utilized in other team centric disciplines.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Nothing... All would be well if the Silver had scheduled us SA, WSH, and Lakers the 1st 3 games like he was supposed to..

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fans

;)

DD

HP3 likes this.
  18. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Literally everywhere.

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member