1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I went to the Heat/Sixers playoff game a few years ago at the Wells Fargo center and it sucks, basically literally surrounded by parking lots and the other stadia and then the freeway.

[​IMG]

Basically, if you were trying to build a downtown arena that minimized all the benefits of being downtown, that's what you'd build.

I mean, since I"m an urbanist, instead of building a new downtown arena, why not build housing/commercial on those empty ass parking lots and make it actually a neighborhood?

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

You must hate real Philly fans to wish the LOF curse upon them.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is this year or bust for Philly.

DD

4. i3artow i3aller

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Morey trying to look like Harden (the beard, the fat), or is it the other way around. :D

J.R. likes this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Super long article on Daryl Morey. Lots of good stuff in here about his time in Houston. Pulled some quotes.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Like the time he was late for his flight and parked his rental car at the terminal then tossed his keys to the baggage guy and gave him $50 to bring the car back to Hertz.

Or the time he was driving to the NCAA tournament in a frenzy to catch a tip-off and created his own left lane to beat the traffic.

Or another time when he had to rush to the airport so he called a team travel attendant to let them know he had left his bag back in his hotel. The attendant arrived and got the bellhop to let them in. Morey’s bag was in the room. So were his clothes and toiletries, scattered across the counters and floor.

One of the multiple former colleagues who relayed the latter story remarked, “Typical Daryl fashion: What’s the most efficient?”

In the mid-to-late 2000s, he owned a Lexus that he parked anywhere he wanted, regardless of the signage on the side of the streets of Houston. It kept accumulating ticket after ticket after ticket until the local parking enforcement agency stopped writing tickets and booted his vehicle.

Normally, someone with a boot on a wheel of their car would pay to have it removed so they could drive again. But Morey had another idea. He instead contacted Lexus to tell them he would buy a new car if it accepted his trade-in and dealt with the outstanding tickets. After negotiating and signing a deal, Lexus asked when he’d bring in the car and he gave the company the address to pick it up.

“As soon as that car got booted,” Morey said, “[I made that deal] to avoid having to go through the hassle.”

Another typical Daryl move, always looking to win a trade.

Was this supposed to make Morey look cool? Or badass?

“always looking to win a trade”

cringe

Easy likes this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

So, his models are great at predicting what will maximize regular season wins.

As smart as Daryl Morey is, you would think he'd come up with a model that adjusts for rule enforcement changes and uptick in defensive intensity during the playoffs.

His teams are always loaded with players that thrive in the regular season (not just Harden).

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's a little pathetic if you ask me lol.

13. SamFisher

I heard him tell the rental car story entirely differently on a podcast - like he just left it in the loading zone because he figured the tow charge was less than the missed plane ticket charge.

Optimization fish stories folks. You never know who to believe. What a time to be alive.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

if that article was meant to portray Morey as a disorganized douche, it succeeded

cheke64 likes this.
  15. SamFisher

I don't really get the "parking tickets" thing.

I've lived in a bunch of cities other than Houston. There is a sh-t ton of available parking relative to most other cities - It's a car designed city! Seems very suboptimal. The only thing I can figure is if he didn't want to park far away and walk across the parking lot during the 13 months of summer. I can get down with that one.

ElPigto likes this.
  16. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Must be nice to have money so you can do whatever the hell you want.

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

She's very paperbagable.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

come on

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This quote from Van Gundy was pure HIRE GUNDY!!!

and

From the Ringer article above...

#739 Rashmon, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    Easy likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Might be the year of the bust, certainly :D