1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ/Rockets agree on extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao…loves Houston so much he’d accept 15 mil guaranteed and get obliterated in negotiations…

man, stop

if he knew a team was willing to offer him Jordan Poole money, he’d be outta here in 2 seconds

Nook, ElPigto and i3artow i3aller like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yeah, with his history, this deal was brilliant. . . . And I can't believe they got away with it. Genius.

Corrosion likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

surely a better deal than this would be there next offseason if he played well and had no off the court issues…at least with more guaranteed money

this looks like a “take what u can get” acceptance to me

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Good for him. I'm really liking his pacing so far. That shows improvement in the way he plays and want to see more catch and shoot and off ball play. I still have some reservations about how he will handle things if and when **** hits the fan, but as one of the fans who has been highly vocal about trading high for him- i welcome this extension and hope to see KPj progress and outplay this contract.

jcmoon likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We have alot of fortune tellers here! Not very good ones, but you know its fun to speculate and be wrong I guess.

[​IMG]

6. i3artow i3aller

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

Probably doesn’t want the pressure of playing for a contract on top of it being his make or break season of him as our point guard

I think he really loves this team. Him & Stones relationship sounds more than just business but I assume there were conversations of what his next extension could look like with a couple more years of good behavior and good basketball

KPJ probably knows he’s be out the league without Stone too

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

HEY KPJ, NO WORK = NO CHECK

Sincerely,
    Rockets

Nook, Dobbizzle and J.R. like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Heat will be over the salary cap. I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison as for Heat it is basically a situation of Herro or nothing. This is a big sign that the Rockets trust KPJ's talent as they would have more options.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The Rangers spent close to 500 million to buy a championship.
    They didnt even win the division.

Spending big isn't an auto ring.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think opinion of him around the league is so low that even a pretty good season wouldn't have earned him more than 30-50 million guaranteed over multiple years. He needs an extended run of good behavior and performance.

While he has less guaranteed money, and more risk, I think he can earn more here than he would have anywhere else had he hit the market after one good season.

Dobbizzle, Corrosion and jcmoon like this.
  12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

In no world is tari a better option than KPJ.

jiggyfly, Zen Tabak and PatBev like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do you remember how the Rockets acquired CP3?

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yeah, Sorry I forgot that agents never talk to other teams in advance of contract's expiring. Let's be real, agents are always going to try and determine the market for their clients who are on expiring deals.

If KPJ signed this deal and his agent never got an idea of his market value then not only should the agent be fired, he should lose his license.

15. PWR

PWR Member

This was the secret benefit of having Dennis Shroeder on the team for a few games last year. Shroeder probably told KPJ: "TAKE THE MONEY, DONT BE AN IDIOT LIKE ME!!"

LOL

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

The warriors also had Curry on a team friendly contract right as they hit their window and they went to back to back NBA finals along with a 72 win season... If the rockets end up doing or even surpassing that I bet you he will.

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

jeez i wish my only offer was 20$ million for one year instead of 17$ a hour at the YMCA

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Decent deal

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So soothsaying is now the order of business here? Its cool to have your opinion but you're brushing away a fact in order to keep posturing? Nobody knows what went into the thought process and Im ANXIOUS to hear both Stone and Scoot talk about it so that some of this conjecture can be swept away for good.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Given the protections for the Rockets, I am good with this.

If this had been a strait up deal without protections, or fewer protections, I would have been against it though.