1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq to Miami? (UPDATE: It's Official - He's a Miami Heat)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DeAleck, Jul 8, 2004.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Shaq to Miami?

Link
    If you don't want to register, just read it here.

Shaq must go, Lakers conclude

CHANGES: A deal with Miami is a possibility, Tomjanovich is coming, and Kobe is a wild card.

02:11 AM PDT on Thursday, July 8, 2004

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

The Lakers, on the verge of signing Rudy Tomjanovich as their new coach, have come to the conclusion that they must try to "deal" Shaquille O'Neal since he won't relent on his trade demands, team sources said Wednesday night.

Sources said Lakers owner Jerry Buss is willing to trade O'Neal, whom Buss grew angry at back during training camp in Hawaii in October when he yelled at Buss, "Now you gonna pay me," during an exhibition game.

"Just like the coach deal with Phil (Jackson) being let go, Dr. Buss thinks it's time to deal Shaq," a team source said.

Lawyers for Tomjanovich and the Lakers were working on the details of a deal for him to replace Phil Jackson, sources said. The Lakers may make an announcement by Friday.

And free agent Kobe Bryant met with four teams, including the Lakers and the Clippers.

Sources said Buss is upset because O'Neal rarely works out during the offseason, comes to camp out of shape - two things Bryant said when he lambasted O'Neal before the regular season - and always wants more money.

Sources said it has been difficult to work a trade for O'Neal because his representatives "shoot down" deals. O'Neal has said he wants to go to a warm weather city. The sources said the Sacramento Kings, a team O'Neal wants to go to, backed out of discussions.

The Lakers have fielded about 17 or 18 offers, narrowed them down to about five or six and are now looking at a deal with the Miami Heat that would include former Clipper Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and probably a first-round draft pick, sources said.

Odom is considered a base-year compensation player, meaning only a portion of his $9 million salary for next season is available. But all of it can be used by July 14. Grant makes $13.2 million.

The Lakers would like rookie sensation Dwayne Wade, but the Heat won't part with him, sources said.

"It's not going to be a fair deal all the way around," a Lakers source said.

To make any deal work, the Lakers would have to come within 15 percent plus $100,000 of O'Neal's $27.6 million salary for next season.

Buss doesn't want to give O'Neal, a three-time MVP of the NBA Finals, the two-year, $60 million extension he wants.

Tomjanovich tried to contact O'Neal, sources said, but had no luck. The league sources said O'Neal left a message for Tomjanovich.

2. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

I know Shaq has been given the shaft by the Laker's organization but he's looking more and more like a big baby.

Lemme guess, since he isn't working out, he won't be in shape and will probably injure himself and be on the shelf for a significant time next year. (Last the last 2 years :D )

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I really can't blame Shaq for wanting out. With the exception of the Payton/Malone signing (and it should be noted that they went to the Lakers looking to sign on the cheap), Kupchak has proven to be a subpar GM. The only thing that has happened under his watch is a slow erosion of depth and talent, and one bad resigning of Deaven George.

I honestly don't know if I would do this deal if I were the Heat. They finally have depth, have some of the best team chemistry in their conference, if not the league, and would have to give up on almost their entire core of youth. Honestly, can Shaq and Wade contend? East or no, that's a pretty thin squad and a huge gamble if Shaq isn't in better shape than he has been recently.

Evan

4. Cesar^Geronimo

I think it's wrong to "demand" anything while you are under contract. Shaq needs to be a man and live up to his word and honor his contract.

I think it's childish that they sign long term contracts (and expect to be paid if they don't meet expectations) but demand extentsions and renegotiations before the contract is up. I don't even think it's about the money but about the ego.

They are a bunch of babies. Too bad I'm hooked on the NBA and will watch them anyway.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

True, true and true.

However, situations change and in today's pro (and college) sports world the reality is the Golden Rule - that the players (and owners and schools) make the gold, and the players (make the) rule (unless you're Coach K).

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Seems possible.

I never thought the Kings were serious. I just can't see LA trading Shaq to their most bitter rival, not to mention, a division rival. Trades like that just don't happen, at least, not very often.

I would assume the Lakers preference would be to get him out of conference entirely.

Trade would indeed leave Miami then, by a starting 5 anchored by Jones, Wade, Butler and Shaq will compete.

7. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

I wouldn't even give Kupchak THAT much credit. He backs himself into a corner by creating contracts that cap out the Lakers, making it so that they can't sign any quality free agents to help out Shaq and Kobe. And yeah, Malone and Payton are (were) considered quality, but they both took significant paycuts just to go to L.A.

Let's face it, the reason the Lakers haven't won the last couple of years is due in a much larger part to the fact that they lack any real depth on that team, and not so much because of the friction between Beavis and Butthead.

They seemed to manage just fine in the three years prior to this season and last, but they also had guys like Brian Shaw, Tyronn Lue, Horace Grant, a healthy Rick Fox, Robert Horry, and a then-still-effective Glen Rice.

Guys like Kareem Rush, Devean George, Brian Cook, and SLAVA don't exactly have the same pedigree. And don't get me started on Walton--nice player, but basically a less dorky Mark Madsen. And not by much.

But hey, what do I care? I HATE the Fakers, and if this ends up blowing up that team, that's just one less "powerhouse" in the way of Houston getting back to the promised land.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If Miami swings what's stated here: Odom, Grant, pick(s) for Shaq, that is a major league steal. Grant is basically done, so it's Odom for Shaq, and you can really contend now for a good couple of years. Especially since Shaq will have something to prove.

He's already taken two very different teams to the NBA Finals, but the Lakers bend over backwards to placate Kobe. Remember how good Shaq made Penny look? I do. He makes the players around him better, and he will do so in Miami. The Lakers pandering to Kobe is a big-time mistake, but I am really enjoying it!

9. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

I would not do this if I were the Lakers. Brian Grant has 3 more years of a bad max contract.

The Lakers are not in a position of strength, so they will probably have to take on a bad contract somewhere. However, I would keep looking for one of a shorter variety.

10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

rocketabc - Shaq alone makes 25-27 mil. Him and Kobe means LA has been capped out since they got them. Mitch has made lost of mistakes but not being a major FA player isn't one of them.

LA has to get Butler out of that deal. Shaq for Odom, Grant, and Butler with a future pick will be the likely scenario if it goes down.

11. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Has Shaq demanded that whoever gets him must give him the $60M extension contract he dreamed about? If he has, I don't see him going anywhere.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know. That's a tough one to me.

Brian Grant has a bad contract to be sure, but Lamar Odom and Show-be on the same team? With a real PF?

Probably a good deal all-around. The Heat would be: Wade, Jones, Butler, uh, never mind so far at PF (use the MLE on someone?), and Shaq.

That would put the Heat in the top 3 in the East.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brian Grant maybe more overpaid than Juwan Howard. This a good deal for Miami. They need to get someone in since they lost Skip to My Lou.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

...Did tinman really just say Miami needs to acquire Shaq in order to make up for losing Rafer Alston?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. sun12

sun12 Member

and let's see how Riley make Shaq in shape

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I see how the Lakers would do this as they get two decent players back and get rid of Shaq and they get rid of him by giving him to an Eastern team. I hope it goes through but we'll have to wait and see.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I can't believe that Miami would part with Odom after Riley has made it so clear that he is in love with the guy.

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Shaq to the heat?

The Lakers, intent on trading a disgruntled Shaquille O'Neal, might make a deal with the Heat that would include Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and probably a first-round draft pick

llink to the story

20. corby

corby Contributing Member

Stan Van Gundy To Land Shaq?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=1836784

Numerous league sources told Insider late on Thursday that the Heat may be the front-runners to land Shaq.

The Heat are offering Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and Malik Allen.

I think I would pay to watch Yao/T-Mac vs. Shaq/Wade over the next couple of years. Especially if Jeff ends up gnawing on Stan's leg.