1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

poole got 30.75 not 35. Who are you worried will offer kpj 30/year that has the cap space to do it?

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's an average of 35 a year, sure it's structured to start at 30 and work up, but 35 is still the average and that's what I was talking about. He got 4/140

I'm not saying what KPJ will absolutely make, I'm just saying don't be surprised when the number is a lot higher than you thought it would be... especially after a year of him and Jalen terrorizing the league.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He got 4/123, not 4/140. The 140 was the initial number which is always fake/exaggerated. What if kpj is basically the same as last year? Improvement is not guaranteed, especially for a guy who has shown basically none for 3 years

King1 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

And that is how you come to the conclusion on who is the better player

KPJ is more naturally gifted / talented, and i would like to see how Poole does outside of that Warrior system, and you are in the right which to me he has been up and down showing the makings of a special player while also one trying to figure it out and battling off court personal stuff that flowed over to the hardwood sometimes and affected his play

If KPJ had played like his last year down the stretch run and this preseason from rookie yr. day 1 then the Cavs would have buried those team incidents under the rug and wouldn't have traded him, and also if he had played like this from day 1 with the Rockets they would have easily locked him up by now

the only thing holding KPJ back is consistency, and I like how he said he got out of his own way, and he knows this is his biggest season being a restricted free agent, so his focus will be strictly bball and try to secure that bag$

if i were to pick one right now to start my team from scratch, slight edge goes to KPJ, but i can see where you or others would draft Poole over him to start yours

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

KPJ would have to effectively hoop his ass off this season if he wants 30

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

123 if he hits absolutely none of the incentives in the deal 140 if he hits them.

I think what it comes down to is that you still have a hilariously low opinion of KPJ on the court, so I'm not sure further discussion will be productive.

I'm sure at some point you'll figure it out, it just takes some people longer to see what's right in front of their faces.

Ren ason likes this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I know you don't believe in any of the numbers/metrics and view all of them as being outright wrong, but do you think there's ANY chance that the numbers aren't all completely wrong and that you're overrating him? My opinion of him is based on his on court production over his 3 year career

King1, Corrosion and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Did you watch at the end of last season?

Have you watched this preseason?

You don't pay a player based on who they were 3 years ago, you pay them based on who they are now and who they will be in a few years

By all means, hold on to your outdated tales as long as you can, even you will have to admit to taking the L on this one pretty soon.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I like how last season is considered outdated tales

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The agenda from certain “fans” is cringe. Why expect a player you supposedly root for to do bad? Ignoring all the positives from THIS young season while alluding to last year? Sad.

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This season hasn't started, so there's nothing to go off of yet. When it starts, we'll have new data points to look at but 0 games isn't enough.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lmao. If this team goes 0-4 and Jalen/KPJ look awful in PS I’m certain this patient approach would be the vibe. Cmon man. What will you say when they start the season strong? You are one of those who will keep moving the goalposts. I’d bet you think either Tari or Jabari will win ROTY though right?

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

tari is probably 0%, jabari maybe 5%? I don't think it's very high, it will take him time. I couldn't care less about preseason, 4-0, 0-4, who gives a crap

King1 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ looked amazing at the end of the season when Wood wasn't an issue anymore... and he's picked up in preseason where he left off.

As I said, hold on to that hot take as long as you can, it'll just get more and more hilarious.

Verbal Christ and maj21 like this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

No matter how well KPJ plays, people still bring up old stuff. There’s something called development and improvement.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

With your confidence I’ll be looking forward to this season even more.

astrosrule likes this.
  17. BullRider

BullRider Member

The deadline is monday?

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

My biggest issue with him is the giving up on plays thing. It’s infuriating.

19. maj21

maj21 Member

@Bobbythegreat what do you think he’ll average this season? I’m thinking 20/6/7, which is gonna cost about 25m-30m a year

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that should be pretty close