1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun simply not good enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member

Hot take: AlP is terrible
    Hot Take 2: AlP is so terrible let's trade him for a 1st.
    True Hot take: Some people should lose posting abilities

aaquaa, Ancient Moabite and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. Cutty312

Cutty312 Member

I really hate to admit it as the biggest Sengun fan. Bruno (we got him for 2 chipotle bowls) has proved he is a better fit as a started than Sengun. I fear the Sengun hype has to come to an end. He is past his prime. Maybe he powerforward would be a better fit for him.

3. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

It’s simple … BE PATIENT

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Yeah I think he got punked by Dedmon. Sengun is not a secret anymore. The league is adjusting to him and his game. That is to be expected. He will have to re adjust.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I've had him pegged as an Omar Asik level player... not identical skills - but same general level...
    I've said all along i thing Sengun can be a solid rotational player - but i dont see him being a superstar...
    I think he will be a reasonable starter on a lower level team - or a great backup on a contender...

Thats why imo... next year when we got cap to spend... i'm thinking Center and PG.... Sengun and KPJ are great backup options - but i dont feel either is a championship level starter in those positions... imo...

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think we should (low-key) keep an eye out on the trade-market for possible deals. I like Sengun but his shortcomings (size/athleticism) aren't things that can be improved -- he basically has to make his strengths so good that they outweigh his negatives. But even if he does, and his 3-ball comes around (which he needs to do, as a small offensive C), he's still an awkward fit.

The downside is that we're a pretty damn bad passing team, and Sengun's one of the few who can make a decent read/find the open man consistently. The flipside is that even an average rim-running C like Fernando simply fits better with this uptempo young group -- we made a ton of passes into the paint/lob attempts in the Toronto preaseason game with Sengun out and Fernando at the 5, but the passes were mostly off.

But if he continues to be an awkward fit, we should look to move him sooner than later, while he could still get us something in the trade market. Him + KJ should score us a young athletic Big, ideally. I don't want more 1st round picks, we have enough -- this core + whoever we get in the stacked 2023 draft is all we need.

Corrosion and maj21 like this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

People REALLY need to stop making these premature statements so early in player's careers tbh. He's a big man ffs, they always take longer to develop unless they're that top tier of superstar. If he's still not putting it together in year 3, then you can start to say he doesn't have it. The way he played over the summer and his history says he has every chance in the world of being a great player in this league.

don grahamleone, Genesis and cryout75 like this.
  8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

a young player has an off game.

Everyone panic.

he's one of the Top 5 players on the team.

He'll bring a lot to the table over the course of the year.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I never saw superstar in Sengun but hell man I don’t want to trade him. They guy has game, he’s young and has a lot of potential as a championship piece. It’s up to him to learn how to stop fouling and it’s up to the Rockets to put him in a position to succeed.

don grahamleone and cryout75 like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U are not Sengun biggest fan, just stop. Preseason really means nothing. Suggesting a 20 yr old being past his prime is as idiotic and stupid as the person who made this thread.

#51 DatRocketFan, Oct 11, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The issue with Sengun is that no one denies his skill and talent, but his athleticism is just what it is, and that is pretty poor for a 6'9" dude...he gets blown by and reaches leading to cheap fouls all the time.

He needs to play D with his feet and recognize things before they happen like he does on offense or he will be on the bench a lot this year.

Last night 17 minutes played and 5 fouls.......that is terrible, and it is not the refs....it is Sengun making dumb mistakes.

DD

#52 DaDakota, Oct 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Yung-T and Corrosion like this.
  12. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Exactly! Some of these knee-jerk reactions are the worst. After the first preseason game, we finally unlocked his potential... now he's past his prime. C'mon man, last time I checked we were still in preseason!

aaquaa likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can definitely see him not being in our future plans or at least not being our desired option as a starting C

we are years away from this being an issue, but I could see him getting played off the floor in a playoff series

glimmertwins likes this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

The only way I'd trade him is if we won the Wemby sweepstakes.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. maj21

maj21 Member

This is what I’ve been saying for months. Y’all are just now seeing this?! Lol

Cutty312 likes this.
  17. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's too early to definitely say sengun will b our center for the future. But since we aren't exactly in win at all cost mode at the moment, giving up on Sengun a year into his career Is dumb as fk.

Sengun is talented just need to have a way to fit him on the team. This issue wouldn't b as glaring if we had an actual pg or sengun has a 3 pt stroke.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is right, but it is not like basketball is all that complicated? It is still just a game, to be figured out....and you don't have to play it to figure it out.

At least we can spell......most of the time.

;)

DD

maj21 likes this.