1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. dmoneybangbang

He reminds me of a "modern version" of a young Gerald Wallace.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah crazy what imagination can do lol. Hopefully this serves as a big time lesson to NBA teams otherwise we will see other "mystery men" come up and get drafted in the lotto every other year.

Imagine if dominating in high school and then sitting out a year becomes the new trend. If Emoni Bates sat out a year instead of reclassifying he'd probably be no 1 or at least top 5 in lst year's draft.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

In what draft? He wasn’t eligible for last years draft.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tari Have it All.

Drift Monkey and Convictedstupid like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is some similarity of play to minor degree but no way they look alike. I have seen tons look alikes, they ain't those.

People had higher hopes for Brewer than what he had accomplished.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it's that toothy grin that makes them look alike. :D

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Eason has never smiled.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Watching this is really occurs to me that Tari has pretty good touch all things considered but his form is just really bad. In preseason against a bad team or in summer league it won't get spotlighted as much but in the regular season against fairly competent teams, it's going to REALLY highlight his shooting woes when people don't even guard him out to the 3pt line and force him to take brick after brick. He might just get chained to Smith's minutes and get placed in the dunker spot.

Someone compared him to Corey Brewer earlier and while I think Eason is probably going to be much better than him, I think you can't play him heavy minutes to start his career for the same reasons you couldn't play Brewer much early in his career. I think you bite the bullet and rebuild that shot form IMMEDIATELY and maybe even send him to RGV to get some shooting reps in game scenarios. FWIW, Brewer wasn't a particularly great defender so much as one who gambled A LOT from the help side and was generally a smart gambler but his defensive gambling and poor shooting held him back in ways where I think Eason is a much better on/off ball defender without gambling...but that shooting is going to be a problem for him for at least a few more years.

Easy likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's got touch, though. If he isn't guarded, he will make them. His form just makes it easier to block when guarded or that he'll have to rush his shot. It may allow a team to play a little off him, but they can't leave him alone behind the arc.

Drift Monkey and jiggyfly like this.
  11. verse

verse Contributing Member

Aside from Chip Engelland (whom I consider the preeminent choice), are there any other available "shot doctors" with a history of success? Chip is employed by OKC currently, so he's out of the consideration. I'd love to see one employed by the Rox to work on Tari, Tate, Green, and even Sengun's shot mechanics. All could benefit from some tweaks or, in some cases, outright rebuild of their stroke.

One person that probably is available (although maybe not allowed back in the NBA circles for other reasons) is Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. His mechanics were incredible. Just a thought...

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Jalen Green had some bad shot mechanics to start last season too .... That shot was funky.

Whoever worked with him got him fixed about the time he came back from the "injury" .... That was a rapid fix.

jiggyfly, Believe It! and verse like this.
  13. verse

I took note of that and almost didn't include him because of that. His release is less hitchy for sure. In fact, I could be convinced his mechanical issues at his point are less "mechanics" and more training related. He's frequently off balance in his long range game as a result, imo, of a weak core. Strengthening his body core will allow for better vertical balance. Still this, imo, falls under the perview of shot mechanics. It's the reason Dame Lillard can launch so successfully from deep - his core is so strong he doesn't float or drift. It's straight up, straight down. Clean release.

Harden is a great example, as well. He's built like a tank and his core allows for a quick but steady and controlled jump and release point. Straight up, straight down.

Drift Monkey and Believe It! like this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

There actually isn't a rule in the NBA that says a player can't play if they can't hit a 3. He just needs to hit enough to where they can't leave him wide open or he has to be good enough slasher to where if he is given a open lane he can make people pay without necessarily shooting a 3. The person that is not guarding him can't just park himself in the lane so where will that defender be? If he is doubling someone else then Eason is capable enough to slash and finish. Contrary to what we often see, there really is more ways to score other than shooting 3a

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

What a condescending post. Okay wiseguy, here is your homework assignment - go ask LA fans what happens to their spacing when Westbrook is in the game. Go ask Philly fans why it was so hard to trade a 25yr old all star who is good at everything on a basketball court except shooting…. If Eason can’t shoot it makes it harder for the other 4 guys to score…not by a little but by a lot. I’m on Team Eason -I wanted him on the team way before the draft…but he has to become more reliable of a shooter because I have a hard time thinking despite all his gifts he is going to get a ton of playing time shooting sub 30% from 3 in the pros and right now that’s probably about what he will shoot.

Drift Monkey and cmlmel77 like this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I made the same observation before the draft on Green's shooting motion, it seemed more a heave than a shot ... and attributed it to strength but more in the upper body than the core, he reminds me of myself back at that age when it comes to body type: tall & lean with long spindly limbs ... If I was shooting beyond my range my mechanics went to shiit and looked much like Jalen's.

The work they put in with him was pretty damn impressive even if there is work to be done.

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

They should call up Dale Ellis.

Drift Monkey and verse like this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

They traded him for James Harden. That's not nothing. We got 4 firsts and 4 swaps for James. Simmons inclusion in their trade allowed them to remove 2 firsts and 4 swaps. He has value.

Eason's ability to get points without his plays being run, his interior passing, his defensive disruption that occurs by stepping onto the court, his length, his quick IQ on the court... those things add up to something more valuable than 3 extra three point shooting percentage ticks on a scoreboard.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. verse

I'm not opposed to Ellis, as he was a great shooter, but I don't know if his mechanics translate to the athletes of today. These guys have so much momentum and torsion occurring that a deadly stand still catch and shoot guy may not have to account for.

Believe It! likes this.
  20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

First of all thank you for recognizing that I am a wise guy, it is very true.
    Secondly you are comparing max guys who were paid/had the role of leading the team. My wisdom chooses me to instead travel to okc and ask them how the same Westbrook won a mvp that belonged to harden. Also Ben wasn't hard to trade bc he couldn't make 3s, he was hard to trade bc it got to his head so much that he couldn't take shots period and team were hesitant to trade for a max guy who had that mentality. Is Ben made 2nd round pick money, you better believe every team would have lined up to get him.

jiggyfly likes this.