1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Don't need info on the camera.

From the Yankee Letter, "...also admitted that during that same time period, in certain stadiums on the road where the video room was not proximate to the dugout, used the phone line in the replay room to orally provide real-time information about opposing Club's signs to Yankee coaches on the bench."

From Sandy Alderson Memo in 2001, "Please be reminded that the use of electronic equipment during a game is restricted. No club shall use electronic equipment, including walkie-talkies and cellular telephones, to communicate to, or with, any on-field personnel, including those in the dugout, bullpen, field and – during the game – the clubhouse. Such equipment may not be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a club an advantage."

I do not see what the argument is that the Yankees didn't violate the same rule. Phone lines are not hollow that sound travels through or carry vibrations like two cups connected by a string. Phones (i.e., electronic equipment) with hard lines take sound, while powered with electricity, convert the sound to an electronic signal that travels through the phone line to another phone that converts the electronic signal back to sound. The Alderson Memo does not differentiate between how the info gets to the batter. The violation occurred as soon as the Astros got the signal in the clubhouse. The violation occurred as soon as the Yankee coach got the info on phone.

Bregatron and Nook like this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

This is from Michael Schwab's digging from what I remember. It was Yankee Stadium in 2018 but the video didn't surface until years later. In 2018 complaints were filed about the camera, including by the Astros I believe and the league "investigated" this in 2018 but of course this was more than a year before the Astros scandal and the league wasn't really investigating hard. Yankees claimed they used the camera to monitor their pitchers and their release points, etc. Camera is clearly zoomed in on the catcher. League told the Yankees they could continue to use the camera, but it could not send video in real time. Schwab reached out to the manufacturer of the camera and they said the lights on the camera 100% indicate that the video was being sent somewhere in real time. Schwab tried to get this to be looked at again but no luck since Orange team bad and Yankees good.

When this camera/video is shown to Yankee's fans/media they immediately reply and say is that the best you got because the league already investigated it (in 2018) and found nothing against the rules.

#2342 marks0223, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Rock Block likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

That is the question isn't it?

Some of the very early hires by Crane were not good, but he fired them quickly and it always struck me that Crane likely brought them in to do the dirty work and move on. The hire of Luhnow and Hinch were very good. Contrary to what have said, the choice to hire Dusty has been a good one as well. Click has so far not screwed anything up terribly. He has overall done a good job on the bullpen.

As for Click, there are some personality issues and he failed to deliver a few times. Crane wanted to spend money before the season to improve the team, Click wanted to wait until the deadline. Click felt confident he would be able to add an impact bat or two and it didn't happen. So there are some issues there for sure. Crane, from what I have heard from people that know him, is someone that really relies on his gut.

I doubt they do it, but I would make Oz Ocampo in charge of scouting. He is exceptionally good and largely responsible for all of the Astros international arms.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Dodgers are indisputably the better team? How do you define better team?

The Dodgers are clearly awesome over 162 games, but are they the best team over a 5-7 game series? Are they the best team in a match up against the Braves or Mets or Astros? That is a lot less clear.

Are the Dodgers a better team if they have Scherzer and DeGrom shoved down their throat 4 times in a 7 game series with Edwin Diaz pitching 3-4 games in the series?

Are the Dodgers better if they have to face Fried, Strider and Wright 5-6 times in a 7 game series?

Do the Astros have enough elite hitters to beat elite pitching?

We will have to wait and find out.

5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I despise the Dodgers as much as the next guy, but they don’t have a single starting pitcher with an ERA above 3.00, and only one above 2.60. All that on top of the best offense in the NL, if not the majors.

Anything short of a WS win is a disaster season for them.

cmlmel77 and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Dodgers have a good chance.... but I will take the under on the Dodgers winning the World Series. Baseball isn't like the NBA where the "best team" usually wins. The Dodgers have some weaknesses just like the Astros and Mets and Braves.

IBTL likes this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I remember when the best offense in the league had Randy Johnson at the very best of his career starting 2 games in a best of 5 series. That was a stone cold lock.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Judging by how many wins the Dodgers have, I'd say that's a fair assessment. I'm no MLB expert yet, but after being out a while I've been getting back into the last few months or so and seems like the Dodgers are very legit. Will be interesting to see if they win the WS. I'd love a rematch with them and to beat their brains in.

Nook likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

LADs bullpen is a significant vulnerability, but maybe they cover with SP arms in the pen. Among the playoff teams, LAD clearly has worse high leverage pen arms than NYM, ATL, STL, HOU, TOR, SEA, and possibly TB. NYY has serious bullpen woes as well.

In a short series, it’s a toss up between LAD and ATL in my opinion. NMY lacks offense but has elite proven pitching. The NL will be a dogfight.

Nook likes this.
  11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Too soon.

RKREBORN and juicystream like this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

Is there a case to be made for the Astros signing Judge?

I’m guessing that would all but kiss JV goodbye. Move Tucker to 1st? Seems too crazy to actually come to fruition. Buuuuuut Judge in this lineup…whoa

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If they didn’t sign Correa or Springer, they ain’t signing Judge. That said, yes he would be a fit in their lineup since they have a big hole in the OF.

2B Altuve
    RF Tucker
    LF Judge
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    SS Pena
    CF McCormick
    1B Matijevic
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Meyers, Lee, Dubon, Hensley
    Rotation: Valdez, McCullers, Javier, Garcia, Brown, Urquidy
    Bullpen: James, Martinez, Maton, Stanek, Abreu, Neris, Pressly

They could probably afford that roster.

#2353 Snake Diggit, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    awc713 likes this.
  14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

i was definitely stoked when I saw Oz was back with the team.

Nook likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry ass Yordan can't hit HRs anymore

Just doubles off the wall and breaking no-hitters

Get an RBI you slacker

Uprising likes this.
  16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

JV my goodness!

Houstunna likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Verlander in 5 seasons on the Astros roster now has an era of 2.25

18. Qan

Qan Member

Can't wait for his 6th and 7th year.

awc713, Nook and HTown2017Champs like this.
  19. HTown2017Champs

Justin Verlander picked up wins against 4/5 NL East franchises. Only missing the Braves (he did not face them).

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Since 1920 the only pitchers in the AL to have an era lower than Verlander’s 1.75 in 2022 have been:

Pedro Martinez in 2000 at 1.74
    Ron Guidry in 1978 at 1.74
    Frank Chance in 1964 at 1.65

You have to go back to Walter Johnson in the dead ball era to find more sub 1.75 era’s in the AL.

Everything is debatable but Justin Verlander had one of the finest seasons ever by a pitcher and did it just shy of 40 years old.