1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A New Hope: Kamala Harris

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, Nov 11, 2016.

1. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Is she being shackled by Biden and the Dems or this woman is really stupid? Damn

King1 likes this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

She's really that stupid unfortunately

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think you are right, but she was answering a question about the global impact of climate change and not particularly about Ian.

In particular, it was an answer about disparity - poor communities most impacted by "global implication of emissions" who "contributed to the least but are affected the most". VP Harris is terrible at making concise points and rambles too much. Easy picking for those that like to misinform.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ing-fireside-chat-with-priyanka-chopra-jonas/

But — and just a little follow up, because this is important to me: We consider the global implications of emissions, right? The poorest countries are affected the most.
    THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yeah.
    Q They contributed the least and are affected the most. So how should voters in the U.S. feel about the administration’s long-term goals when it comes to being an international influencer on this topic?
    THE VICE PRESIDENT: I’m going to unpack that question. (Laughter.)
    Q I’m going to ask you packed and loaded questions because I’ve been given a little bit of time.
    THE VICE PRESIDENT: So, first of all, again, thanks to the leadership in this room, which were part of the propelling force in the 2020 election so that we could actually be in office — because one of the requests — dare I say, “demands” — of this group was, “Do something about the climate crisis.” And so, we were able to be elected. Thank you, everyone here.
    And then have the — (applause) — but — and have, then, $370 billion in the Inflation Reduction Act dedicated to address the climate crisis — not only because it is a crisis, as it evident — as evidenced, as you have mentioned by Ian, by the wildfires happening in California, the floods, the hurricanes, but also because of America’s leadership and what it should be globally on this issue. And so that has happened, and it will propel a lot of good work.
    The crisis is real, and the clock is ticking. And the urgency with which we must act is without any question.
    And the way that we think of it and the way I think of it is both in terms of the human toll and — I know we are all thinking about the families in Florida, in Puerto Rico with Fiona — and what we need to do to help them in terms of an immediate response and aid, but also what we need to do to help restore communities and build communities back up in a way that they can be resilient — not to mention, adapt — to these extreme weather conditions, which are part of the future.
    On the point that you made about disparities: You know, when I was — back when I was District Attorney of San Francisco — I was elected in 2003 — I started one of the first environmental justice units of any DA’s office in the country focused on this issue. And in particular on the disparities, as you have described rightly, which is that it is our lowest income communities and our communities of color that are most impacted by these extreme conditions and impacted by issues that are not of their own making. And so, when —
    Q And women.
    THE VICE PRESIDENT: Absolutely. And so, we have to address this in a way that is about giving resources based on equity, understanding that we fight for equality, but we also need to fight for equity; understanding that not everyone starts out at the same place. And if we want people to be in an equal place, sometimes we have to take into account those disparities and do that work. (Applause.)
    But also, I will say, as a former prosecutor, part of this issue also has to be about enforcement and, where appropriate, making sure that the bad actors pay a price for what they do that is directly harming communities in terms of their health and wellbeing.
    So, when we think about policy then, there are many aspects to it, including something that the President and our administration and I are very excited about, which is the opportunity that moving towards a clean energy environment and industry — what it will do in terms of job creation and building up our economy. It’s tremendous. (Applause.)
    So, there are many benefits to this work.
    And to your point about the global piece: Among the leaders that I have been meeting and convening — just recently, in fact — and now this was, I think, the third time — I convened the presidents and prime ministers of the Caribbean countries; there’s an organization called CARICOM. And I convened them just a couple weeks ago. And the consistent discussion we are having is exactly your point, which is: We are one of the greatest emitters in the world and the Caribbean countries, for example, are paying the biggest price. They are some of the lowest emitters, yet the erosion that they are experiencing to their island nations is profound.
    And when you combine that with the fact that nations like that — their biggest source for their GDP is tourism, and what the climate crisis and extreme weather conditions do in terms of then plummeting their incoming resources, not to mention what we are expecting all good nations to do to contribute to mitigation and adaptation.
    So there is still a lot of work to be done to recognize the equities. And I will say, for us, as the United States, to own responsibility for what we rightly — (applause) — should do to recognize these disparities and contribute in a way that is fair with the goal of equitable priorities.

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

North Korea

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP Loretta.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh hell nah !
    Maher and cuomo don’t approve ?

basso likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@basso

Turns out she was addressing climate change and its impacts, not Hurricane Ian relief efforts.

Yall have anything to say?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another in a long line of false tweets. No wonder so many people are so misinformed.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

basso, tinman and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

King1 and basso like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

King1, basso and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

@basso
    Democrats are hoping alright
    Hoping she’s not on the next election

basso likes this.
  15. basso

Supporting Member

unless they can replace her with a black trans woman, there will be cries of racism if they kick her off the ticket.

tinman likes this.
  16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You would be hard pressed to find anyone more worthless then Kamala. Literally nobody likes her

basso likes this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Michelle?

18. basso

Supporting Member

Other than SCFOAMF adjacent, what are her qualifications?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

We should replace her with Hope Solo

basso likes this.
  20. SuraGotMadHops

None, you just said trans black woman so I named one.

basso likes this.