1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Main concern for a lot of people : Ability to score efficiently

Scoring efficiency in first preseason game that his fans are creaming their pants over : 45.6% TS

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think that ship has sailed. KPJ is now playing for a 20M+ type of deal if not more.

15Ms was the smart move early if it was ever an option.

sirjesse and DaDakota like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LMAOOOOO "score efficiently" when the team wins by 30 and KPJ is 2nd highest +/- on the team ... with that logic Jalens +24 in an even less "efficient" manner was way worse and should make casuals question if he is worth the investment! :D:D:D:D:D

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That depends, because he could settle for that, and it would be a MASSIVE amount this year, but would be less the last 3 for sure.

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

20M is nothing when the new max is 50M. 20M now is like 12M bsck in the day when superstars only made 25-30M. I think that's decent value for a player of his caliber. Just look at Malcolm Brogdon who most in the NBA think is a positive value player. KPJ almost at his level despite being 6 yrs younger.

Verbal Christ and DaDakota like this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Jalen Green had terrible scoring efficiency last night. Whether we won or not or by how much doesn’t change that.

Corrosion and harold bingo like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think KPJ and his agents are perfectly fine allowing the market to set the price. If KPJ has the type of season his fans are hoping for worst case you have an awesome trade piece. Things couldnt work out any better for the team if all the players grow and take positive steps forward. Its a win/win no matter how you slice it.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"just win baby"

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? Why do you keep saying KPJ is horrible? The Rox had the worst record last year but that was partly by design, partly by having 0 spacing. Despite that KPJ scored 15 pts, 6 ast on 37% 3 pt shooting. His advanced metrics are ok as well, not mind blowing but not horrendously bad either.

Are you saying Jalen Green was also horrible last year? They had similar stats except KPJ had much better defense. Jalen Green was only 1st team all rookie but I guess he had a horrible year last year according to you.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And when we play non joke teams in the regular season with our two lead guards playing more minutes and taking more shots, if they continue to score at very inefficient rates. We won’t just win baby

Corrosion and larsv8 like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well the salary cap is projected to go up to $171 mil.....but then the luxury tax level is what?
    $15 mil greater? And then $4 mil apron?

There is a big divide in ages too with many of the free agents we might desire. Many over age 30 like Kyrie that will be demanding $50 mil.

I don't want them

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I like what i saw from kpj last night, but I still wouldnt give him a 20+ mil contract at this point. Need to see more to make sure its real.

Corrosion and Easy like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

As long as Jabari knows his role and is a + shooter this team will be fine. When his shot is off the scorers will do their thing. Jalen did whatever he wanted to do on the court as did Scooter. They were happy and content distributing and feeding the hot hands. Sucks to be you and live in this negative space all the time constantly looking for ways to diminish this team.

Why not just go jack off in the Jabari thread?

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This is completely false, all of his advanced metrics were horrific. Yes, Jalen was horrible last year as a rookie, as basically every 19 year old rookie guard is going to be. If Jalen shows no improvement his next TWO seasons and looks like what KPJ looked like last year, yes i'll be saying he was horrible. By your 3rd year, you need to show that you can impact the game at least SOME, beyond just ppg and other crap like that.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right. I dont want albatross contracts either, but thats where the 'normal' way of thinking needs to be amended. Relativity constant to league standard in pay will be what these players look for and why wouldnt they? Just seems safer to invest in your young core early until a good trade opportunity presents itself because via trade is where I see this team finding the next "super star" not on the free agent market.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People getting internetty about +/- in a preseason game is peak internet.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whst are you talking about? So the Rookie 1st team was horrible to you? How he become 1st team if he was bad? Not all rookies were 19 yr old right? Most guys in Jalens class wer 20 yrs old and older and Jalen beat everyone but 4 of those guys so you are just plain wrong.

Why do you say KPJ never improved in 3 seasons? His defense had a massive improvement if you look at his defensive win shares he went from 0.3 from his rookie year to 0.8, almost 3x improvement. If you look at his 3 pt he went from 34% to 38% on double the attempts. FTAs, rebs, asts he improved from his rookie year to his 3rd year. At the end of the day he is only 21, just a year older from top prospects in Jalen's class.

To say KPJ never improved from his rookie year to 3rd year is what is blatantly false. Even if KPJ never worked on his game and was lazy af just him growing and getting more exp would've resulted in improvement.

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

And when Green goes off in the regular season, I bet you’ll disappear.

19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And I would say it sucks to be the guys who live in a fantasyland and invent ways to explain away legit concerns all the time.

One thing we can agree on. If Jabari plays like an all nba 1st team/MVP guy from the start and continues throughout the real season we will be ok. Because we will have found our first foundational piece.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Why would I disappear? I’m not in the business of saying things are good when they are bad or saying things are bad when they are good.