1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Confirmation of what we thought, and the implications...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

NO! Leave Alpi in, Gusman isn’t ready!

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do not overthink it, Silas is just mediocre using empty words, it reads like child language, 4 out 1 in.

RasaqBoi, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Can they play some games first before y’all start saying it won’t work? Can they have some practice time together in this new system to see how it looks before y’all say it won’t work? Can we see how Jabari fits in, how Alpi does with more minutes, see if KPJ has developed his PG skills, if Jalen can be more consistent? Loys of things need to happen before the offense we are running makes a big difference

I mean regardless of who the coach is or what offense they run do y’all really think these young guys are ready to contend? Ready to make a playoff run? Like seriously, not some wishful thinking stuff.

topfive and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Man... I just have this feeling that Christian Wood acted like a big shot and wasn't capable of backing it up. Crazy right? I don't mean this as hyperbole, he was one of the very worst defenders I've ever seen. His 3 point shooting as a 6'10" man was elite but somehow it wasn't a value to us. He was not willing to provide spacing for others, roll to the rim or swing the ball. It had to be the Christian Wood show and that was literally one of the very worst shows to ever present in the NBA. Good fkn riddance man.

Uncle G is what he is... probably more valuable to a contender but as long as he's willing to take rest days and teach the young guys he's also extremely valuable to us. Any top 5 lineup is going to include him, even at the 3.

I'm looking at the lineup of Porter, Green, Tate, Smith, Sengun. If this unit can learn to play together, I really do believe they can make the playoffs. I'm certainly not expecting it but hear me out... one guy brings something new or better to the table and this is an absolutely vicious unit. Porter gains confidence as the lead guard, starts dealing out 2 more assists a game. Green starts blossoming as an athletic scorer/slasher. Tate adds 2-3% points to his 3. Jabari fulfills his draft potential and is a great defender who buries 3s at 6'10". Sengun becomes that enigma matchup nightmare who casually puts up double doubles.

NONE of that is outlandish. ALL of it could happen and if it does, the Rockets are no longer an easy W. They're the team you better take seriously or they'll throttle you for looking past them.

There will be inconsistent nights, this is still an extremely young squad. They start believing in each other though, look out. We're on the cusp, there's too much talent for them to lose 80% of their games now.

It's not championship contention but this is sure to be an exciting season.

Bo6, topfive, RasaqBoi and 1 other person like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets haven't lost > 80% of their games since 1983 so i think this is a safe bet.

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas just a tad slow on the uptake.

4 Out was always the best system to maximize a big with Sengun's skills.

Better late than never. :rolleyes:

8. WestendMassive

This quote doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Silas has any idea of how to best utilise Sengun. He's at his best when he's creating out of the high post ala Jokic, but Silas wants him to PnR and be constantly on the move because being static is "not great for our offense".

How about mould your offensive system to suit your players? Silas loves trying to shove round pegs into square holes. He's talking like he's making changes but what he's saying sounds like we're going to have the same old shitshow 'no system system' on the offensive end.

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Lol Look up cwood is a backup center for 5th seed team in the west. Here hoping Jalen, Segun, Jabari can materialize in real deal in a few years. But this team is young and has absolutely no chance of making any headway for few years. Silas be on that hot boob sac after dinner too long at night. Let's hope for the best thou.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The Mavs are only in the playoff hunt because of Luka. Take him away, they are trash.

topfive and glimmertwins like this.
  11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

None of our guys scream top #5 future NBA player to me. Unless we get the #1 pick this year and draft Wemby, I highly doubt we'll make the finals in this decade, especially given our competition (OKC and their infinite picks).

Coach Silas sure doesn't give me any confidence, especially when he goes on interviews and says we won't run any half-court plays, we'll just run and gun. Perhaps he knows he won't be around when the team finally gets good. We'll likely need a Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr type of transition when we're trying to compete in the future.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Sengun’s range isn’t good/consistent enough for him to be a high post threat right now but he is especially effective at instinctually making quick reads in broken plays. The more chaos/movement, the better he is at picking apart defenses so I agree with Silas’ interpretation of Sengun’s skill set. I also think Sengun is a far better offensive player right now with his back to the basket in the low post. He could one day do the Jokic thing, but he isn’t anywhere there just yet. Jokic does what he does because you have to respect his face up again and that gives him options. The average defender would prefer Sengun take a long 2 than press him into finding a cutter.

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea it's kinda sad another harden like situation, who they gonna find to be robin next to this guy?. Christian is not 2nd tier star. Is injury prone stat padded on rebuilding team.

14. WestendMassive

Agree on all points, but I think it depends on where you're setting up the high post. If Sengun is posting up around the free throw line like a Divac or a Webber (or Chuck Hayes under Adelman) he could be deadly. He can hit the middie from that range, and when the defense takes that away he can find a cutter or an open shooter easily. I'm not sure solely running PnR to get Sengun involved maximises what he's good at.

Mind you, I haven't watched a second of this so called new scheme yet so probably judging way too early lol. Jabari is the big x factor, how he fits in could change everything

glimmertwins likes this.
  15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Segun and Jalen need to run some high post screens. I mean if you got Jabari moved out side could open the lane. I've done this on 2k, Segun setting pick and roles with Jabari and Green, easy to get to get lane , at least one of Jabari or Tate should be their to get 2nd chance put backs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

“Silas says _____”

[​IMG]

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I'm assuming there going to do that dump and dime move while Segun is approaching the basket where either Kevin or Jalen dumps him the ball in the paint. This is where he does the akeem moves to either fade into a shot or pass quickly to outside shot. Either way if there playing zone it going to be hard. Knowing if they start posting him like a center and he looking for cutters this might be more effective. Yet I say if he can somehow shoot mids at the free throw line it be money all day like jokic does..

WestendMassive likes this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Actually I think there is a model of how they would do this with Sengun in the role of a better offensive version of Draymond Green and running Scoot/JG in off ball action or having JG run pin downs and come to the top of the key off a Sengun high post pick and let the two of them manipulate defenses that way.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I guess around 80% of the teams won’t make the finals in this decade - and of the remaining 20% there will mostly be big market teams. It is hard to make the finals for a team like the Rockets. They have to be lucky to get the right player. That being said. Do believe Green could develope into a top 5 player if everything works out perfectly.