1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

MO for Microsoft and Google. Sink billions, bail if it doesn't meet expectations. It's just play money for them.

I hope to get some of their controllers on discount, though.

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's a good callout on the controllers, have you ever used them before? I'm currently using older Xbox One S controller on PC.

Def agree on their MOs

3. Xerobull

Never used the controllers but they're supposed to be good. I scooped up three Steam Link boxes for $5 each when Valve gave up on them. Never hurts to grab this nice tech at cutrate prices.

Invisible Fan and CCity Zero like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In the no one cares column, Stadia is shutting down on January because of cost cutting.

I thought it was a solid deal for casual folk like me. Even played Spirit Farer among others as part of the subscription.
    This might sound dumb, but I got a steam link but never figured out uses for it. How are you enjoying it?

Andre0087 and CCity Zero like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I missed this response earlier. Ok, I can understand that. There are a lot of popular games that don't do anything for me. Like stuff where horror and/or gore are the main components, cartoony graphics, where 90% of the game is puzzles, etc. There are always exceptions, though. I'll probably end up eventually getting Elden Ring anyway just to check it out.

When I heard that earlier this morning I was like "another Google product dropped". And then I thought "I forgot they even brought that out". I remember how I thought it would be a huge game-changer. I'm scared to buy anything they bring out for fear of it being dropped 6 months - 2 years down the road. lol.

6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just downloaded Destiny 2 on PS4. I'm not a huge gamer...but I did love playing tons of Borderlands 3. Is Destiny 2 worth playing?

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I mainly used my steam link to play downstairs (used it hardwired to my network). My main gaming desktop is upstairs.

I never had crazy lag but would primarily stick to coop games/games that were 3rd person view. I'd even play some souls games DS2/3 on there. But since playing mainly coop wasn't too worried on invasions. Overall it did a good job since the computer/steam link were all same network.

I mainly used controller/3rd party games so I could keep it simple since I didn't want to sit at a desk after a long session of working in front of a pc for work all day.

Have you used yours at all?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes, but you'll need more commitment into it than Borderlands. It's a bit cash grabby too.

I went from D2 to playing Borderlands and they're genuinely different games. Borderlands optimizes single player storylines (even with co-op) but D2 mostly focuses on team pve or pvp. Bungie worked on beefing up the campaign, but the end game is still the same...get to a medium arbitrary level, grind the rest of the season for incrementally higher levels to unlock events with higher caps, compete online for gear with right rolls. Lather rinse repeat.

The loot system is different, and I like the the movement and mechanics of D2 better (double jump, more intense supers, item customization).

What I don't like about Destiny is that everything is a grind and it can become a chore and rat race to find the right rolls for items only for the meta to change.

The gameplay modes can get stale over time, but when you get used to the learning curve it's definitely a premium experience.

All these gripes are in late game. When you start out, you're kinda thrown into things without any detail in the mechanics. That part is pretty fun. Graphics are much better too.

If you're looking for no effort and instant PVP, I had some fun with Apex Legends.

It been gathering dust since I opened it lol.

boomboom and CCity Zero like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, same, haha, I mean I started out using it a decent amount, several years ago... now it's just collecting dust. It worked really good when used initially though.

10. Xerobull

You pretty much need wired connection to both the Steam Link box and the PC it's streaming from. If you don't have that, the lag is nasty. That's why it really failed. It could do really high wireless network speeds but no one has that sort of infrastructure in their homes yet.

I do have wired setups so my oldest and I played some games on it with XBox 360 controls. It's a nice setup if you have that wired network connection.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

12. Xerobull

13. Aware

Aware Member

Finally pulled the trigger on a steam deck

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Aware likes this.
  15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Just finished Xenoblade 3, one of the best games I have ever played... I think it might also be my new fav game after Halo...

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm still working my way through the game. I'm somewhere in chapter 5. It hasn't gripped me as much as XC2 did. I like it better than XC1.

RedRedemption likes this.
  17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Downloaded Overwatch 2 because it was free. Now I'm trying to play it and Ddos like crazy. Didn't realize this was launch day.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I finished up Elden Ring over the weekend. Since I had mods on, I found the game to be a terrible, uninteresting slog with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. If only I never enabled "Easy Mode" and just put in the effort to "GIT GUD," I would have had a GOTY gameplay experience! Miyazaki and everyone else were right after all!

I'm being sarcastic of course. I had a blast with the game, and not having to fight the same boss 10+ times in a row didn't seem to drag down the experience (I'd argue it made the experience better actually). I don't know if I'd go as far as GOTY (though not sure there's really much competition this year, thus far), but it is really great. I give From Software a lot of crap (especially some of their technical skills), but they're super creative and still manage to create breathtaking worlds and environments. With mods, I think you can more easily have fun with the gameplay mechanics, combining different magic, weapons, skills, etc., which is always a lot of fun. Still possible without mods, but I think From makes it a bit harder to enjoy by default, which is a shame.

Of course, now I'm having to watch hours of Lore videos on Youtube to figure out what the hell was going on in the game, but that's also normal with these games...for some reason.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm so excited to be incredibly disappointed!

For those that care, there is talk of 2 big SH projects. The first is a SH2 remake by Bloober Team (The Medium, Observer, etc.). The 2nd is a project by some of the original SH crew (episodic maybe?). At least, that's what the rumors say. Knowing Konami and the last ~15 years of SH, it will probably be terrible and/or cancelled.

Aware likes this.