1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Link?

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

3. bobrek

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Want to bet Gas goes up by over $1 in the next 6 months?

ramotadab likes this.
  5. bobrek

Don't change the subject. Show me a link that proves your claim that releasing the strategic reserve was responsible for lowering the gas prices to their current levels. Your first attempt failed.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ah, so you understand this is temporary and that it changed immediately with Biden, who shut down the pipeline and hasn't given any new leases to help US production. My bet stands. $100 seems easy enough. And $1 is a pretty high amount if you truly think gas prices are flat or going down...

https://seekingalpha.com/article/45...petroleum-reserve-crude-oil-means-for-markets

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why would gas being going up 1$ in 6 months?

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Saw this video on wireless EV charging technology by Undecided with Matt Ferrell

I didn't realize just how close wireless EV charging is to reality. Power output and efficiency is on nearly par with wired level 2 charging. Genesis will release GV60 with this wireless charging tech in 2023 in Korea and there is a Chinese EV with the same tech in the works.

This is very exciting and could have big implications in vehicle to grid applications.

ramotadab, Dr of Dunk and rimrocker like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Buck Turgidson

Saw that.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Sajan and Xerobull like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Well Mr. Surburbia Man is not buying a truck to do truck things so it's fine?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Elon could have said the truck will fly to space and @tinman would believe it. He surely already listed his boat. "even SEAS" lulz. Good luck, SUCKERS.

13. Buck Turgidson

Sure, If all you need is a truck to commute, go to the hardware store, road trips camping/beaching, etc...I bet it's excellent.

My F250's only at 112K so they've got a few years to beef it up before I start getting impatient.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most people won't be using it to tow anything. Most probably won't even use the bed to haul anything appreciable, except maybe a few times a year. I'm guessing the aerodynamics killed it, but this is a known "issue" with EVs for now. But then also consider the fact a TON of Ford truck sales are for fleet customers, not just Mr. Suburbia. I don't know what percentage of fleet trucks tow and have to tow long distances between charging opportunities, but even if hauling around job sites locally, I don't know what impact having a range 140-200 miles would have.

The plain fact is we need better efficiency/batteries for this kind of use. That recharge time kills it if you're using it exclusively or heavily to haul stuff long distances or multiple times. If I do a lot of interstate driving while towing something, I'm not sure I'd be excited to make the jump to an EV pickup truck.

The following video gets into EV towing a bit more :

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Unless they put chargers everywhere at job sites..lol
    Going to be like the olden days when everyone walked around with an iphone charger looking for an outlet.

Ziggy likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Transatlantic Cybertruck.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Realistically, we need PHEV trucks that can activate the ICE in these situations. Today we have PHEVs that turn on the ICE when the vehicle hits a certain speed or the temperature falls below a threshold. We just need a weight criteria for trucks and you get the same benefit.

ramotadab, jiggyfly, jchu14 and 2 others like this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Sure - if the job site is 100 miles away or something. I mean, if you're towing to a job site up to 50-60 miles away, you're probably ok because you can always come back and charge (unless you're using the charging features/battery of the truck itself at the job site). The issue would be if you have a lot of fleet vehicles that need charging at the end of the day would you have enough places to charge them? I don't know how that works. I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually. lol.

If you're Mr. Suburbia is where it becomes a pain to recharge while towing on the interstates since a lot of these charging sites aren't built to charge pickups with trailers and you may have to do it multiple times on your trip. Now that would be a pain.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Also just want to add I love that Model A in that video. lol. I want one of those, but a max speed of 50 mph around here would get me killed. lol. But driving out in the country would be fun in one of those... maybe.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Toyota can't keep wheels on its new EV.
    Neither can Rivian it seems...