1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Golf] The PGA vs LIV - Round 1 - fight!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 7, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It does appear to a certain degree that the PGA hit the panic button -- they were very confident with their position then did a 180 and started announcing significant changes. People don't seem to care much about who's funding LIV which shouldn't be a surprise since no one cares that we're getting oil from them or that we have a major military base in SA.

DaDakota and T_Man like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Looks like the PGA is upping the purses to compete....

DD

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Yep... So they are basically the NEW LIV!!!!

I see 6 more also went over to LIV... I love the fact that HV3 basically said... I'm leaving for the money...

I don't blame him.. he's in his mid-30's... Hasn't actually won a championship and new he's getting guaranteed money (well supposedly)..

Should be very interesting....

T_Man

4. DaDakota

5. T_Man

Very true...

Like I stated I love the fact that HV3 was straight up honest on why he went... Yeah Rory needs to chill..

T_Man

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Some thoughts:

• I have no grievance against any player going to LIV. You can be a really good player and grind on the PGA Tour for 15-20 years, and not make what they are providing in signing bonuses. Money matters, and with inking a contract, a player can set up his family for generations. It is guaranteed. If they get back problems, injuries, or their game falls off, their family is still taken care of.
    • The second best player in the entire world and the most recent Major champion just jumped ship. It was getting dicey for the PGA talent drain, but that's a big slap in the face. I'm sure more will follow.
    • Just like when an employee submits their resignation, all of a sudden a raise can be offered, the PGA tour is FINALLY coming back with some bigger purses and bigger money events. PGA has raked too much money for too long for not paying these guys.
    • I'm curious how the ultimate legal battles will eventually shape out. Golfers are individual contractors and by blocking them from working with other organizations you can open yourself up to anti-trust. Interesting long term legal ramifications.
    • I think...but don't know...that the PGA could have nipped this is in the bud if they had offered players exemptions to participate in LIV events. Then there would be no "jumping to a new tour". The LIV tour would basically be relegated to highly paid "friendlies" and everyone would consider the PGA the "true" season. Now LIV has to basically be a competitor and the PGA forced it.
    • Players that are staying on the PGA need to STFU. Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer (or second greatest golfer) who ever lived and the face of the PGA. He's also a billionaire already. A billionaire with almost infinite earning potential without ever playing anther round shouldn't poop on guys that are making their money. Rory needs to shut up because his giant purse he just won was the direct result of LIV existing.
    • The PGA is going to have to figure out how to get guaranteed money to their participants, I think. Even if its not big.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

FedEx cup was $15m before LIV. Saying Liv is some reason he got $18M is ridiculous.

bobrek likes this.
  8. DaDakota

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/i...r-competitors-appreciative-new-windfall-sport

Yep, LIV is having a good effect on players pay.

I am saying the LIV is the reason that purses are going up, when is the last time a purse went up 3m in one year?

Players on the tour don't get appearance fees, yet they still have to pay their caddies, pay for travel, pay for room and board, and they MAY not even get paid.

That is BULLSHIT - they should be paid for their work.....and countless hours of training.....

If the PGA wants them as employees, they need to stop taking so much money for their own pockets.....

DD

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, changes are being made because of LIV. But let’s not pretend PGA tour players aren’t making enough money to pay expenses. This year the 125th player on the money list made over a million dollars. The 150th player made almost seven hundred thousand dollars. Those players that low on the money list would be the first to tell you that they didn’t play very well this year, and yet they still made a lot of money compared to the average American. The changes being made will help the top players, but maybe not many of the others. How to tell at this point.

PGA tour players ARE NOT employees of the PGA tour. When a player joins the PGA tour, they become part of an association. An association that has rules that have to be followed. The PGA tour was created by the players, for the players, and the players have a say in how the tour is operated. The players have always had the ability to make changes, and they have many many times in the past. But, just like in any other association, it can be difficult to get everyone moving in the same direction.

When you have a large association with many members, not everyone is going to be pleased how the association is run and operated. Almost any association you can think of will have disagreements between members. That’s normal and expected.

Some of the LIV defectors complained that the PGA tour was holding back too much money for the PGA tour reserve fund. But that reserve fund became useful during the pandemic when tournaments were played with no gallery. Tournament purses were not cut and players got paid. There are reasons why a reserve fund is needed. I do not know how large the reserve fund currently is, so I can’t make any kind of a judgment about whether the fund is too large or not. But, just because a few LIV defectors are unhappy about something doesn’t mean everyone in the association is unhappy.

Lots of changes are coming to the PGA tour. It remains to be seen if the changes will benefit the rank and file players or not. Or what impact the changes will have on the events not selected as an “elevated” event. I could see some events going away if sponsors don’t want to support a tournament with a weak field. That’s not a good thing for the tour overall. The changes are going to greatly benefit the very very top players. We are seeing the top players forcing changes that mainly benefit themselves. But, many details have yet to be worked out.

Keep in mind that the PGA tour is structured differently than LIV. The PGA tour has to make agreements and form partnerships with individual tournaments and sponsors to make the whole thing work.

Many of these changes were already in the works and LIV has sped everything up.

#69 Newlin, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Slyonebluejay likes this.
  10. i3artow i3aller

11. DaDakota

125 members, what about the HUNDREDS that are just outside the tour, would love to see the books of the 125th player and his costs for travel accommodation employees etc...

You don't need a reserve fund if players themselves make enough money to have their OWN reserve fund, that is what the PGA's situation is...they are saying to earn money you have to be at the top, but don't you dare go out and collect appearance fees and play in other leagues.

What a bunch of hypocrites....the PGA has been lazy and it has caught up with them.......players are now going to be more in control and they should be they are individual contractors.....not PGA employees.

DD

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

LIV is buying air-time to broadcast on TV...

Continues to show it isn't a real business.

Newlin likes this.
  13. T_Man

Phil also dropped out of the lawsuit.. So only 3 left....

T_Man

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And they still only play 3 rounds with no cut. It's an exhibition. A very highly paid exhibition...but an exhibition nonetheless.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

From Fox, naturally.

16. Buck Turgidson

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Jontro likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld and ROCKSS like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Surprising and disappointing for me. Will need to hear the details. I’m sure the rich will get richer.

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bowing down to the folks that brought us the Patriot act.

how American

ROCKSS likes this.