1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas attorney general fled home to avoid subpoena

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Sep 27, 2022.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

JUST WOW!!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/records-texas-attorney-general-fled-160454715.html

DALLAS (AP) — Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton ran out of his house and jumped into a truck driven by his wife, a state senator, to avoid being served a subpoena to testify Tuesday in an abortion access case, according to court documents.

A process server wrote in an affidavit that he was attempting to deliver the federal court subpoena Monday at Paxton's home and ultimately had to leave the document on the ground. He said the Republican avoided him for more than an hour from inside his house, then dashed toward the truck and the couple drove off.

Paxton, who is facing a variety of legal troubles as he seeks to win a third term in November, said he avoided the server out of safety concerns and said the news media should be ashamed for reporting on what happened.

“It’s clear that the media wants to drum up another controversy involving my work as Attorney General, so they’re attacking me for having the audacity to avoid a stranger lingering outside my home and showing concern about the safety and well-being of my family,” Paxton wrote on Twitter Monday night.

On Tuesday, a judge hearing the lawsuit by nonprofit groups that want to help Texans pay for abortions out of state granted Paxton's request to quash the subpoena. The attorney general wrote in court documents that he and his wife were “accosted” by the process server and the judge also granted Paxton's request to seal the affidavit, which had been publicly accessible for hours.

Ernesto Martin Herrera said in the affidavit that he arrived at Paxton's home in the Dallas suburb on McKinney Monday morning and knocked on the front door, which had a window in it. Paxton could initially be seen approaching the door but then turned back. Republican Sen. Angela Paxton opened it, telling the process server her husband was on the phone, according to the court document, which was first reported by The Texas Tribune.

More than an hour later, the affidavit says, Paxton walked out of the garage but then turned around and ran back inside when Herrera walked up the driveway and called his name. A few minutes after that, Angela Paxton allegedly came out, opened the rear driver-side door of a truck in the driveway, got in the driver's seat and started the truck.

“A few minutes later I saw Mr. Paxton RAN (sic) from the door inside the garage towards the rear door behind the driver side,” Herrera wrote, adding that Paxton ignored his calls that he was there to serve the attorney general legal documents. Herrera said he left the subpoena on the ground beside the truck but the couple drove off without taking it.

Paxton was indicted in 2015 on state securities fraud charges but is yet to face trial amid long delays over where the felony case should be heard and payment for the special prosecutors. The FBI is investigating Paxton over allegations of corruption that eight of Paxton's own deputies leveled at him two years ago. The Texas state bar has also brought a lawsuit seeking to discipline Paxton for allegedly misleading the U.S. Supreme Court in his suit seeking to challenge Joe Biden's victory in the 2020 election.

Paxton has broadly denied wrongdoing and remained popular among GOP voters. He faces Democratic challenger Rochelle Garza, a first-time candidate and former ACLU attorney, in the November election.

“Texans deserve an AG who will uphold the law, not run from it,” Garza wrote on Twitter Tuesday.

T_Man

LondonCalling likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lookie here...the Deep State is taking over the homes of American Patriots.

AleksandarN, Deckard and Andre0087 like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

“It’s clear that the media wants to drum up another controversy involving my work as Attorney General, so they’re attacking me for having the audacity to avoid a stranger lingering outside my home and showing concern about the safety and well-being of my family,” Paxton wrote on Twitter Monday night.

Yet he didn't call the police?

Nook, adoo, Ottomaton and 9 others like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would he have been so scared to accept a subpoena he is still be summoned and ignoring it is still breaking a law.

How does this make any sense, can't the court just hold min in contempt?

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is notable about that is that a judge still let Paxton quash the subpoena. Paxton still appears set to win reelection. As much as I love Texas that says a lot about the state of affairs there.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That is too ****ing weird, even for Paxton. Running away like a scared little rabbit. My apologies to the rabbits out there for using the analogy.

How I wish it would.

Amiga and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe he was late for a playdate with Ted Cruz at Cancun.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Classy.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ol' googly eye sees all

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

State of the Republican party and the idiocy of Texas politics.

I miss the State of Texas. I'm super happy to be away from the idiotic politics.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Coward piece of s***.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sad to see Texas like this. Attorney General of Texas running away from the law.

Republicans nowadays would vote for anyone with an R. U got Cancun Cruz, and this guy. Good thing no country in the world has the balls to invade Texas cause u will have these "leaders" abandonin texans to save their a$$.

13. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

Ken Paxton targets Louie Gohmert in hotly contested primary for attorney general

Paxton’s attack ads suggest that he sees Gohmert as a bigger threat than the other two Republicans in the race — Land Commissioner George P. Bush and former state Supreme Court Justice Eva Guzman.

BY PATRICK SVITEK JAN. 27, 20229 AM CENTRAL

All Paxton had to do was win a primary against Gohmert. It speaks volumes how few viable candidates there are in the Republican party that the general public would actually vote for when you'd rather prop up a criminal over possibly the dumbest congressman in the United States. Gohmert's been in Congress since 2005 mind you and was a state judge prior to becoming a Congressman for a decade. That man weighed in on people's lives in Tyler.

Alter The Moon's Orbit - Louie Gohmert

Louie Gohmert leaves Congress having passed one law and spread countless falsehoods

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#13 LondonCalling, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

...by sending my wife out to get the car ready.

Paxton is probably the slimiest of the Texas GOP politicians. which is really saying something

15. Nook

Nook Member

Texas has really poor political leadership. I am not even talking about their policy positions, but the actual quality of the people in positions of power in Texas and they only remain because the state is dominated by one party. Abbott, Cruz and Paxton know they can grift and screw up repeatedly without consequence because they have a strangle hold on the state.

Before someone claims I am piling on Republicans or the state of Texas, I see similar issues in California and Illinois. In Illinois, BLAGO could run for the Senate or Governor and win if he got out of the Democratic convention. In Chicago all you have to do is win the Democratic primary and you are guaranteed to be mayor, and there are so many restrictions and grafting in Chicago that no one wants the job.

Some how these states remain competitive, but they would do even better with a healthy two parties in them.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Is p***y Paxton “Tough as Texas” like Cuckold Cruz?

When did Texas turn into a state with spineless leadership that runs from adversity, lacks accountability, and fellates MAGA even while they deride their wife?

17. Nook

Nook Member

Since they know that short of ****** a living man or a dead woman they will be re-elected. Texas is a one party state when it comes to state wide elections.

Cruz, Paxton, Abbott, Patrick etc. know that they are going to be re-elected no matter what. Their biggest concern is being primaried and that won't happen.

Right now the 27 highest elected positions at the state level in Texas are ALL Republican.

So the key is to work yourself up the Republican party in Texas and not really worry about the voters...... and then play the game and grift and profit. You can break the law like Paxton, you can go on vacation during state wide emergencies and you can make insane claims like Patrick with ZERO consequences.

The same issue is happening in California and Illinois...... hell in Illinois, if you are a governor, you have a 50% chance of the FED throwing you in prison.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

January 17th, 1995.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

20. edwardc

edwardc Member