1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah you can see he has really broad shoulders and that he's just "skinny" because he's young. Were not talking about KD or Jamal Crawford

roslolian and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I lost 7 lbs in two hours using two different scales. :D

Drift Monkey, D-rock, jim1961 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So that's what I've been doing wrong. Damn!

Drift Monkey, D-rock and Easy like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Who the hell made a negative judgement?!

5. Rokman

Rokman Member

Makes no difference to me cause I'd take a 6'4" Rookie Charles Barkley over any of these guys any day of the week.

JayZ750 likes this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Jabari speaks at 47 second mark

Drift Monkey, D-rock, amaru and 4 others like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

I'm sure this has been mentioned a lot here but there are going to be so many small things that Jabari does that has a huge domino effect on our team. Him replacing Wood is so exciting man

Not having the ball stop for meaningless dribbles
    Not having intentionally leaving the gaurds stuck on an island in the post gaurdimg 7 footers
    Ability to switch
    Low usage but deadly without the ball as a 3 point threat
    Willing to do what it takes -- a key to what he will unlock

8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Hopefully his attitude and hustle is contagious and rubs off on the team. Silas obviously loves this kid. Only going to get better starting with heavy minutes.

Hope Tari gets his share of time. He should for sure.

Drift Monkey, D-rock, Boii and 2 others like this.
  9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's hard for me to overstate my excitement about Jabari. You almost never see someone with his measurables also have a tireless work ethic. I'm not saying that their games are similar, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this rookie have a Tim Duncan-type effect on the rest of the team. Hard to slouch when your best player is busting his ass in practice every single exercise.

10. MystikArkitect

Almost any comparison for Jabari is a unique player. Rashard Lewis with defense. Shane Battier but taller with a 3 point shot and more athleticism. Khris Middleton but taller and better defense. Ryan Anderson but taller with better defense and more athletic.

The reason he was rated so highly was because he's the least likely to bust of the top 3. If he can be taller Klay with better defense...the Rockets are going to be contenders in a couple of years. Only thing stopping him as that he doesn't have that "flamethrower" thing quite yet that Klay gets when he literally reduces the opposing team to a flaming heap in a flurry of 3 pointers.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I want Jabari our first round pick to be better than 3 point role players. I need some Giannis type goals.

12. xaos

xaos Member

So if he becomes a taller Klay it's a failure to you? Did you have high expectations for the 2022 draft class?

Drift Monkey, roslolian and D-rock like this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Rashard Lewis was a two time all star and I see Jabari’s floor as a first team defense version of Lewis.

His ceiling would be Bosh or Dirk. He likely falls somewhere in the middle which would still be fantastic.

AroundTheWorld, D-rock and xaos like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

You mean the hair.

Bari is 7 footer with Paolo's. :D

Believe It! and Easy like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bari is already talking about being best defense in NBA.

Kid is a leader.

A vocal one at that.

16. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Hit the nail on the head with this! We as fans sometimes tend to overlook those little things that make the difference, and Jabari will be a huge improvement over Wood in that regard. Hopefully he meshes well with Alp and JG, he will help them alot both on O and D.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

If all top 3 picks can be Giannis then Giannis wouldn't be one of the best players on the planet.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

All Day.

D-rock likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wanted green most out of anyone in the last draft. Then wanted to Jabari more than anyone else. The odds of the rockets getting both in regards to what i wanted to happen 2 years in a row are quite small.

One thing to keep in mind is Duncan spent 4 years in college (it's crazy how many stats he accumulated coming into the nba at that age) I am very curious what Jabari will be like when he is 22-23 years old. Jabari and Green seem like they are different personalities but have one trait in common they are wanting to be great players. I hope green/sengun/jabari and others see the chance they have and create that synergy to make each other better and take the opportunity that is there.