1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Silas is the right guy for this rebuild?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Sep 25, 2022.

?

Is Silas the right man for this rebuild and to take the team forward?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2022.
  1. Yes - he is doing fine

19 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No - he is too soft

42 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Maybe - Jury is out he came to coach Harden, waiting another year to decide

34 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Jackson method of coaching popularized by Mark and his father Phil - be present when future HOF/all time legendary players are drafted and/or achieve the peak of their powers - is absolutely the right way to go.

aaquaa likes this.
  2. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I'm with you. I think Silas's crew has done a good job developing guys and he has to get some credit for that. If these guys break out this year we will have to revisit this thread...

roslolian and HTown Spike Lee like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s really dumb to get a coach who can’t be anything but tough for a group of young players are working hard without that person. These guys need tactical and technical trainers. I’ve never seen an issue on the court with effort except from KPJ and Wood. That’s one player on next seasons roster.

It’s literally just projecting what you feel you need in your own life onto other people who are just fine without it. You’re different and that’s ok. If we need another gear, you save the coach’s bark for the playoffs. For the big moments. If you need to bark all year, the problem is the roster and it’s not sustainable to keep barking. No millionaire will accept that very long, and all of them are millionaires. I know that’s hard for you to fathom if you’ve never had that kind of security/money. But you simply will not let people talk to you that way if you can avoid it with a small discount on your income. The benefits far outweigh that tiny financial sacrifice. There’s no culture that overcomes this, all millionaire kids all over the world have options and respond to threats less often. The true champions among them know when to buy in to it and when to tune it out, but you have a mix of individuals and it’s your job to coach all of them. It’s lazy and damaging to expect everyone to become like the coach. The culture can change instantly, the people don’t change instantly.

Ask anyone who’s been a fan of a team coached by Thibs - he will lose the players who don’t need that and his voice slowly but surely begins to fade. He has the worst record for rookie development imaginable, so it’s absurd to say it works based on the one single overachieving season he delivers for each of his teams.

#63 Mathloom, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This post is the most off base hilarious bunch of nonsense I have ever read....wow.

DD

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

In hindsight, he's doing fine with thise young core.. But I would like at least a 40 win season during the next 2 years.. Otherwise, some other coach gonna come in and take em to the inevitable next level.. Silas will be outta sight outta mind soon thereafter.

aaquaa likes this.
  6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

100% agree DD….total garbage post. Kids need discipline and toufg love. Those are two things Silas severly lacks. No discipline and lack of respect for coach is what creates outcomes of players throwing things at coaches and driving off at halftime of games, while other players refuse to play. NEVER would happen with a disciplinarian coach who earns the respect of his players.

aaquaa likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it matters if a coach is a nice guy or not.

So long as the players listen to him and buyin that's what counts. Rudy was a nice guy by all accounts - doesn't seem he was a bad coach.

I am holding judgement on Silas until I see what he can do with out Christian wood and having a team with a bit more experience now that guys have another year under their belt. I think Jabari is an upgrade over Wood especially on D.

aaquaa likes this.
  8. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

It's too soon. I believe he's been great at losing games considering the organization has wanted him to lose games. We have two top 3 picks the last two drafts. He gets 5 stars from me.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Cries about being ridiculed in KPJ thread for dumb comparisons when actual statistical facts are being presented.

Ridicules a poster for an opinion on a subject where there is no way to prove things either way.

Of all the players that were on the roster last year only 2 acted out with Silas and his “laid back attitude”.

Shocker it’s the two guys who plummeted or plain fell out of the draft for attitude concerns.

#69 jordnnnn, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  10. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I'm gonna support him just like the players do. Y'all are annoying AF per usual. It hasn't been this bad in here since Jeremy Lin

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. You cannot and should not fire a coach for having losing seasons when the purpose of the season is to tank. Period.
    2. Outside of veterans like Ego, Silas has actually done a pretty good job IMO in bringing rookies up to speed and letting the non-rookies discover what they are capable of.
    3. Fan focus on Silas this season should be how our offense and defense starts to develop and whether or not we can establish an identity.

12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I don't think I have ever seen someone give Mark Jackson this much credit, I do not think Mark Jackson would even give himself this much credit. Mark Jackson was an awful awful coach, he never had the locker room really, his playbook vs what Steve Kerr did was completely different and the difference was felt immediately. Didn;t Mark Jackson have Monte Ellis taking up Steph Curry's minutes? If Mark Jackson was not fired, we never would have seen the full potential of Steph since the whole system was changed once Kerr got in. Steph Curry is now arguably a top 10 all time player and the greatest shooter ever, Mark Jackson wouldn't have let that happen. The reality is Mark Jackson was handed an all time great roster, arguably maybe the best roster ever and he couldn't figure it out and the players genuinely despised him and they still don't like each other (part of the reason he never worked again). Your timeline shows that Steph was in his 6th season by the time Kerr started, if your best player is in their 6th season, that is not really a rebuild that is a roster that you should have done something with earlier. I am not a Kerr or Warriors fan at all, very much dislike them, but I think Kerr is probably credited with the quickest and most severe turnaround in a single season ever.

Not only did Mark Jackson never get a coaching job again, if you watch the first year of Kerr coaching and Jackson in the booth, the games he was on there were so many extremely awkward moments because the other commentators were saying how Kerr really completely flipped the playbook upside down and immediately figured out how to get the best from his players. Mark Jackson was handed a work of art by Jerry West and he had zero clue on what to do with it. Going from 51 wins to 67 is a massive massive improvement, winning the championship is also something Mark Jackson never would have done either and Kerr did it immediately with the same roster. Kerr did not benefit from any type of existing progression in system, he rebuilt it using the same guys, so that is why Mark Jackson's career as a coach was over. He looked like a complete fool immediately, and i clearly recall how awkward those broadcasts were.

#72 BallSoHarden, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Dobbizzle, aaquaa, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The issue is as @Mathloom mentioned, is the coach constantly barking at you is not sustainable. Not everyone needs to hear that all the time. I like Silas as a player dev coach, we need someone smarter a better X's and O's guy, someone with an actual plan to be a head coach, but he can not get away with being extremely tough because he has had zero success, cant really respect that. The only type of coach who can get away with this is someone who has a championship pedigree, you can see Pop get away with screaming at his players because they respect him since he has won. If you have someone like Thibs who has not won anything, they will eventually stop believing in them. We have someone that has not won anything historically and currently is not winning either, so how can you really respect him if hes barking at you? Erik Spolstra was not super tough when he started coaching, he was a players coach, he has earned the ability to be a tough coach when necessary.

You also need to have veteran players who have won and who make the right decisions consistently to be the your voice too, you need to see vets chew guys out if they are making mistakes. If you are a loser who has proven nothing, and are still losing, no ones going to listen to you screaming in the locker room.

#74 BallSoHarden, Sep 28, 2022
    bmelo and Mathloom like this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

No. He is not a head coach.

PeterKingX likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'll just correct you to say Thibs has an NBA championship. If you have 3 experienced veteran STARS on your team and you're barking at the role players because it's a slim championship window, it can work for one season. I'd bet all my money on an unproven Silas winning that title over the next best team that year. That team was the runaway favorite regardless of Thibs or whoever would have been the coach.

However, it's the same pattern Thibs' whole career (CHI, MIN, NYK as well) that he will overachieve in a single season usually the first or second season. All downhill after that. All his key players break down after that, except Jimmy Butler. It's clearly becoming an even bigger player as players learn to self-motivate more and so... what the F is the coach yelling about? Just say it and see if it happens. If you bark like Thibs at every practice and for 82 straight games, it means the barking is not working. This letdown season he just had is a staple in his career at every stop. The underachieving season to pair with his lone overachieving season. Then it's a ticking time bomb till he starts forming silos within the organization+roster to protect himself. He will perceive this as siding with winners, when in fact he's being a loser. Best assistant coach in NBA history though if you ask me. Perfect spot for him, and it's perfect that our assistant coaches have plenty of bark and bite for when it's needed.

I would ignore the imanimal dude, he's a huge Kenneth Faried and Montrezl Harrell fan, believes they are severely underrated. Perfect examples of players with lots of bark but no real bite.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Aware of Thibs being an assistant and winning with Doc as the HC. I don't think Thibs ring as an assistant carries enough weight for him to get away with stuff as HC, especially with the roster they had. We have seen how ridiculously far Doc Rivers has been able to carry that one championship ring in getting contracts, I don't really think much of him, but Doc is definitely respected (We saw what he said about Harden last year and they are back with a contract extension). I just don't value the assistant coach success as translating to guaranteed HC success, so until you have some success in the position youre in now I wouldn't respect an authoritarian. We are in a similar situation with Silas, he has been known to develop guys, and I honestly think hes done good work with player development, I just dont think he should be the one play calling game day.

#77 BallSoHarden, Sep 28, 2022
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah his job is on the line, clearly.

DD

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Holy sh*t I had totally forgotten Doc won that title rather than Thibs. lol I guess I was right then that even an idiot could win that title, cause I think Doc is as mediocre as they come (better than Thibs though).

So there's really no positive I see from Thibs coaching your team. If you're trying to win, he'll destroy your offense. If you're trying to lose, he'll destroy the young players.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's too nice. Him giving out these recent interviews are showing me hes not the guy. He seems surprised his NBA players are in shape. The connection should never end in the offseason