1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

That's why the topic is 'Prepare for the Hurricane Season', not 'Prepare for Hurricane'. People should have gotten their vaccine shots weeks before the season. That page has been up for more than a year. This webpage was not built because of Ian.

Also, the title of that particular webpage is titled 'Hurricane and Covid-19'. Of course it's going to talk about how to mitigate possible covid-19 risks due circumstances that might happen during a hurricane. There are other CDC pages that talks about non-covid related hurricane preparedness like making a plan, getting supplies, etc.

#13461 jchu14, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

People who weren't going to get a shot aren't going to get one because of hurricane season. Still a clown show.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Covid has kicked my a$$ the past THREE weeks and it still isn’t letting me go. That’s even after taking paxlovid which helped but the symptoms still lingered and has led to pneumonia.

Given that vaccines were most taken so long ago by everyone, if you have the ability to get some sort of booster shot, get it… like yesterday.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear. Hope you get better soon.

LondonCalling likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree - I had my last shot in Nov and when I got COVID a few months ago, it kicked me really hard. I'm only now getting back to fully myself - had a cough for weeks and week and felt like I had asthma when I exercised. This is not a disease that is just a flu.

Even if the booster or vaccine doesn't stop you from getting COVID, it's still definitely worth it to have milder symptoms in my opinion.

dobro1229 likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for that info. This is why I get so frustrated with people tweeting stuff (or “retweeting” it here) that just contains a cropped image. It’s about using a graphic to send a particular message, not actually informing people by linking back to the source.

jchu14 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Vaccinations guidelines change all the time. Idk y conservatives are losing their mind.

Just for S. Pneumoniae cause of otitis media, pneumonia, meningitis
    The immunization schedule (this assuming the boomers never received the childhood shots)
    Before it was just when u hit 65 u get PCV 13 wait a year then get hit with PPSV23

Now when u hit 65 u get hit with PCV 15 wait a year and then PPSV23
    Or
    PCV 20

Gonna lose your mind everytime they update and use new vaccines or variants?

CCity Zero and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didnt say nor did the CDC say the vaccine prevent you from getting COVID in that statement. It says reduce your chance of getting severe illness which is in the highlighted part that is repeated multiple times above. And disaster preparedness definitely means you plan ahead. For example if you have a generator your should check on it and make sure that it is in working order at the start of hurricane season rather than just before a storm.

Also there is nothing in that statement that says to not go to a shelter during a storm. This is the kind of misleading strawmen that makes it difficult to have a reasonable discussion.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is guidance. Yes they probably won’t but that doesn’t mean the CDC is providing guidance.

this is like calling the USDA a clown show because they recommend people eat more vegetables.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about that. When I got it back in July it wasn’t that bad. At most only 4 days symptomatic and no worse than a regular bout of flu.

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also the part of the CDC guidance isn’t even saying or suggesting what people are claiming. They are making it as though it’s saying don’t go to a shelter unless you’re up to date vaccinated. It’s not saying anything like that.

12. dobro1229

With Paxlovid it was only 3 days of really bad flu… but… the very mild after affects and the drainage just lingered and lingered and it turned into pneumonia. I think that’s the real danger with Covid.

I’m not a doctor so I probably don’t have this 100% correct, but I’m guessing the immune response is so extreme that while your body has beaten the actual virus, there’s a heavy amount of white blood cells your body has to produce and can just linger in your system long enough to cause infection. It’s probably partially my fault for not giving enough care to continue to battle the symptoms, but its hard to not to feel the impulse to get back to life after 3 days of misery.

The first time I got Covid in Dec of 20, it was so weird because the whole 2 weeks it was like my immune system just didn’t know what to do with this virus and so my body was just in blah La La land for 12 days. This time I felt it right away and right away my body handled it like it would the flu. So a much more predictable flu like experience for sure… which also has given me pneumonia in the past in the same way. Still that’s why we get the flu shot, and now why we need to stay on top of Covid shots. It’s much less predictable when your body doesn’t have a fast acting immune response.

#13472 dobro1229, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I didn't take Paxlovid or anything when I got it. Just stayed at home, slept more and drank a lot of fluids. It is possible you're dealing with an extended immune response and in many infections the symptoms and what makes people feel bad is the immune response. This was a big issue with the original SARS and why it actually affected younger people more than older people. It would prompt a major immune response that would lead to things like organ failure.

dobro1229 likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Day 1 of this pandemic is the same as Day 1000 fallacy (that get repeated over and over).

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Are you outrage or really mad about that statement? Not sure how if affects your or anyone that don't care about it.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Covid attacks the cells of your lungs, so there's a lot of dead cells that you have to clear out and repair once the virus is gone, and it does make you susceptible to other diseases like pneumonia. So it's quite possible that you kicked the disease but are just dealing with the healing process.

dobro1229 likes this.
  17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

the long-term effects of COVID are continuing to appear.

COVID-19 increases risk of developing Alzheimer's by 50-80% in older adults

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...ng-Alzheimers-by-50-8025-in-older-adults.aspx

COVID-19 infections increase risk of long-term brain problems

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/covid-19-infections-increase-risk-of-long-term-brain-problems/

Even Mild COVID Can Increase the Risk of Heart Problems

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/even-mild-covid-can-increase-the-risk-of-heart-problems/

No Worries and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. dobro1229

Well that doesn’t make me feel much better! Hopefully this works itself out over the next couple days. I honestly don’t feel that bad. The only thing that is giving me concerns though is I’m having a very extreme sleep apnea type of reaction when I try to fall asleep. I’ve had some mild sleep apnea before in the past but this is way more intense of a jolt. I dunno.. I’m going back in this afternoon to get some X-rays done so hopefully it’s nothing to worry about.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're right, antivax morons aren't going to be convinced by CDC guidance. Shocking. Of course what you're missing is the large percentage of reasonable people who just need a reminder to get a booster. That is the target audience. It's really weird how you are triggered so hard by the most commonsense Covid-related stuff.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sorry to not make you feel better and hope things turn around soon for you.

dobro1229 likes this.