1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luhnow Interview on Sign Stealing Scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 18, 2020.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Absolutely. Media hates smart people. Unless you pander, they will try to screw you over any chance they can.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

More likely the media hates getting showed up or made to look dumb... which is ultimately what Drelich, Olney, Passan, and the rest of the cronies looked like when the Astros started winning 100 games every year.

Then they went all in on the scandal in 2020 andd figured the Astros would crater.... and they're still ripping off 100 win seasons with one of the best young pitching cores in the game, making the whole embellishment of the scandal a big waste of time (not to mention all the other reveals of teams doing stuff that have received less than 5% of similar coverage).

They've decided to take the stance of being Astros-neutral vs. positive/negative coverage as they now realize the success of this team was more than just tanking, more than just sign stealing, and will continue to have to live with them living rent-free inside every NY/LA fan's head.

3. vince

vince Member

Your right, because the Astros have been winning the the last three seasons, with the media tirelessly trying to smear the Astros (in 2020 they were in the ALDS, so very close to another WS). But reality is that only Altuve, Gurriel, Verlander, MCCullers are left from that 2017 team. And I think the fans nationwide are bored of the manufactured hate the media establishments have rammed down the baseball world.

After a while people just have to admit blatantly to themselves that they are haters for haters sake. I think the media is losing the ire of the fans, and the media with their sour grapes has take a neutral coverage positions of the Astros.

raining threes and RKREBORN like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Don't ever underestimate people's ability to be ignorant and stupid, in the face of logic and reality.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I like being a villain. People are scared of the Astros. And they can complain all they want about 2017 but the team has been fantastic since then. Living in NY and listening to 660 and 98.7 its fun to listen to agony. Drives me nut that they cheer for Marwin and boo Jose, but those fans are morons. One threw a full can of beer at me in 2019 ALCS. What a waste of $20. Plus he missed.

Also dont forget Bregman who was on roster in 17.

jklb, astrosrule, vince and 1 other person like this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Ever heard of Alex Bregman?

But I understand 5 of 28+ players on this team were on the 2017 team.

And:
    -Gurriel was a rookie coming from another country and culture. Not a position to say anything.
    -Bregman was in his 1st full season. Not a position to stop anyone.
    - Altuve is on record as not using it.
    -Verlander joined 2/3 of the way through the season.

It's time to leave it in the past

But a few hard-core media members and fans of certain teams are keeping it alive as an excuse for under achieving or simply getting their asses handed to them.

#326 IdStrosfan, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  7. vince

vince Member

Oh crap, I forgot about Bregman, and he’s my favorite player legit. I guess I take him for granted because he’s got such an amazing approach at the plate.

Thanks!

8. raining threes

I love a win at all cost culture. It's the reason why the Stros are where they're at today. As far as the media goes I totally get why the FO treated them like they did. The media Drellich in particular told everyone how the rebuild wouldn't work and criticized every move they made for four years. When it came time to eat crow Drellich being the wuss that he is a long with his other friends in the media took out vengeance on the Stros org and Luhnow in particular to get rid of him. The fact that they did this when other teams were doing this shows how petty the media is. The person who could've put a stop to this chose not Hinch or his right hand man Cora. They've got jobs in MLB and that's why this was never really about the cheating, it was about running Luhnow out of MLB, not for just the reasons you mentioned but also it was costing MLB money.

The reason Crane will never hire Luhnow back is even if he wasn't blackballed, he sued and settled for a reported 22 million dollars. It was the cost of MLB getting rid of Luhnow. I really wanted that lawsuit to go to trial. But we all knew there was no way MLB was going to let that happen.

It's sad that other owners don't care about winning and put it 1st. I mean there's a guy from the Cards that did federal time for stealing Luhnows notes on draft prospects. That's how good at his job Luhnow was. But that doesn't seem to matter in the times we live these days. Feelings over substance seems to be the order of the day.

Nook, Wulaw Horn and vince like this.
  9. raining threes

Yes

10. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Luhnow (LOSEnow) was a special GM. That guy was a ******* legend. Would love him back as the Astros GM. A pipe dream but still.

Nook and homewight like this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

One must cater to the Idiot Press. Their world is exclusives. If you don't provide it they will make something up from thin air. If you do, anything goes and they'll defend you to the death.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

AMEN. They still crave the FORBIDDEN FRUIT. And when discovered, they immediately shift blame onto others.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

How many people have heard of Micky Mantle using corked bats in 1961? Or Gregg Nettles in 1974? It has largely been successfully swept under the rug. But Albert Bell and Sammy Sosa had their reputations ruined. References conveniently leave out the incidents involving the Beloved Yankee CHEATERS.

It has been widely reported, or at least implied, that Beltran just wanted the Astros to play on a level playing field and they were behind the Yankees in sign stealing sophistication.

The ONLY think clean about the Yankees is the shaved face.

Nook, SuraGotMadHops, msn and 2 others like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Great video. Not about the Astros directly but MLB cheating in general.

marks0223 likes this.
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

Say it ain't so Joe

16. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I wonder if his ears are burning knowing that we’re talking about him.

Nook, SWTsig, SuraGotMadHops and 4 others like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Many in the media are on POWER TRIPS. They believe they can make anybody or break anybody. And they go nuts when they can't. They especially hate being shown as the fools many are.

SuraGotMadHops and vince like this.
  18. vince

vince Member

Very true. Look at how much they chastised the Astros for picking Correa over their anointed Byron Buxton. They would not get over the narrative about the Astros being cheap and agreeing with Correa for an under slot price, which they used that help them sign McCullers.

And any time Buxton would do something amazing, they immediately say, look at this superstar with fireworks and highlights in the national spotlight.

But even they knew that Correa was vastly superior up until Correa left the Astros last year. So they wallow in their seething disdain for being made fools for not stopping their narrative “Astros cheapness cost then a once in a generation talent that is Byron Buxton”.

And because the Astros have virtually rebuilt the 2017 team with different players, the National media will pick at straws to continue their colorful Astros villains caricature they slobber over. And Musgrove gave them their hit, just at the right time that will carry them for the next few weeks.

lnchan and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  19. jayfree

jayfree Member

I guarantee, when Musgrove retires without another ring... that'll he'll show off 2017 ring as the pride of his playing days.

Nook, jiggyfly, msn and 1 other person like this.
  20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member