1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I feel like we've been saying this for a few trade deadlines. The dude is gonna be on social security before we pull the trigger on trading him and a first for a 5th round pick.

saleem, theDude, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

If he was never get gonna garner a good pick, then his value as a mentor is worth letting him walk for trading him for zip to a contender in February. I know many of y’all want those minutes but I value the example he sets on and off the court as we mold a new culture.
    His off-season routine alone is a small gift to our core.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't mind the "teach them to be a professional" as long as it doesn't contribute to to much winning this season. :D

4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

You couldn't ask for a more professional guy than EG. He's old school. Could have been a locker room problem a long time ago, but he keeps it real. No crying, no complaints. He is who he is. Think it's a blessing that he's showing the youngsters how a pro should go about their ish. That being said. He's earned a trade to a contender. No later than the deadline. Even if it's just a low 1st. Give him the chance to show out in meaningful games. One last decent contract. Again... He's earned it. Mad respect all day.

saleem, JoeBarelyCares and Dobbizzle like this.
  5. Rokman

Rokman Member

Is Thybulle and 4 unprotected firsts still on the table from Morley? I thought that was a pretty fair trade. We all know how important Gordon is to his rebuild.

RocketsTerps and D-rock like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I’m actually thinking the 2023 Milwaukee pick is so bad that it would be good to attach it to Gordon for an upgraded pick.

Late first round salaries are too expensive for the prospects you’re getting there. If we can trade Gordon and that pick for another one that’s likely to be in the late teens in 2023 I’d be very happy with that. Moving up 5-10 spots is better than acquiring another late pick or second round picks imo.

The exaggerated hype around Victor W will reduce the value of all the other picks so trading up is a good idea in 2023. Especially since our own pick is not going to be top 7 without picky ping pong balls, could maybe squeeze ourselves into the top 5 on draft night if we have some solid assets to help.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Most of the betting sites have us as one of the 4 worst teams for the upcoming season.

I would think the expectation is a top 5 pick once again. Personally I hope we win 30 games, and see some genuine development from Green and Smith as a tandem (and other young guys making strides too). But we are just so young we will lose plenty of games simply due to inexperience

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Market for solid veterans is the worst I’ve seen it in recent years.

saleem and CarlosGM like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There has got to be a contending team that can use EG. We'll probably have to wait till the trade deadline when the playoffs picture is beginning to form.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Crowder + Saric (or Crowder + Payne), pick for Gordon?
    (Easier said than done but expand to 3-team now to flip Crowder or flip him later?)
    Crowder $10.1M expiring; Saric $9.2M expiring; Payne $6M this year, $6.5M next year although not fully guaranteed?
    Not taking Shamet’s contract (22-23: $9,500,000 | 23-24: $10,250,000 | 24-25: $11,000,000 | 25-26: $11,750,000)

I know, you’re thinking “Jae ****ing Crowder and Dario Saric and Cam Payne for Eric Gordon? What a joke!”
    Yes, but I don’t think Gordon’s value is as high as you probably think (or as the Rockets would lead you to believe with their constant leaks of having a 1st round pick)

The Jazz got something called “Saben Lee” and Rockets legend™ Kelly Olynyk for Bojan.

#810 J.R., Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I can see him getting traded to the Lakers at some point in this season when the Westbrook experiment flames out once again and they start getting desperate to unload him,

jcmoon likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, the Lakers missed their chance to trade Westbrook and a FRP for Wall. Now I doubt that the Rockets would help take Westbrook off their hands. If they want Gordon, they'll have to offer something much sweeter.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I value winning over hypothetical draft pick positions and talent coming to fruition.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There is little chance we'll lose more than OKC, Orlando, San Antonio and Utah. I predict we will also end up winning more than Indiana and Washington. That's not even an optimistic take. I really think if we try our best to tank, we won't win less than these teams.

However, I'm an optimist so I think we will win more than another 2 teams (Charlotte and Detroit) and be in contention for a play-in spot for a small part of the season.

I know they will try for a top 5 pick (that's why we're so short on vets, it's their final hope for tanking), but I'm indifferent about the difference between a 5th and a 9th pick given we have 7 first round picks from 2 seasons on the roster and all of them seem to be capable of being good future rotation players at minimum.

This team is full of underrated players, I'm not surprised we'd be ranked low. Green, Sengun, Garuba and Christopher are going to give us a 4 x sophomore jump which is really really historically rare and the result will surprise people. Replacing Wood with a rookie Jabari is 3+ wins in my opinion. I think we win 30-35 games. We'll be very bad to start the season, but our post ASB winning % will be playoff-worthy.

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We would do it for 2 first round picks.

18. sogood.

sogood. Member

Multiple reporters stated that they could get Turner and Hield if they are willing to give up two first rounders, they're not going to do it for a washed up Gordon.

19. dmoneybangbang

I'm still targeting the Knicks since they struck out on Mitchel trade. The Knicks are in an interesting spot with their war chest of picks, their lineup, and their desire to compete.

I'd try this but would settle for a FRP preferably 2025:

EG for Fournier + 2023 FRP (their Mav's FRP) + 2025 FRP (lesser of Knicks/Bucks)

Knicks replace a floor spacer with an additional year on their contract with a floor spacer, shot creator, and defender on the last year of their contract. I think getting the maximum value of the trade hinges on the willingness of the Knick's to pay EG's next contract. Otherwise, I think EG fits well with Knicks/Thibs while Houston can take on the additional year of Fournier if they are compensated by it.

double d likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Unfortunately, yes.