1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which 3 would you keep?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Believe It!, Sep 22, 2022.

?

Which 3 would you keep if you had to choose due to the salary cap and the # of max contracts?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2023.
  1. Jalen Green

96.8%
  2. Kevin Porter Jr.

8.4%
  3. Alperen Sengun

61.7%
  4. Jabari Smith

96.1%
  5. Tari Eason

31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This isn't fair to KPJ fans... lol

Downtown Sniper and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. alethios

alethios Member

All 3 of them :eek:

i3artow i3aller, Reeko, King1 and 4 others like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So we got 3 years before Green and Sengun are max-eligible, and 4 years before Smith and Eason are (and still a couple of weeks before those 2 play an NBA game)

And we have to decide now which ones we are keeping???

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

"Good thing you're all nobodies and not making the decision" !!!

DD

javal_lon and pippendagimp like this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, I think the 3 I'd keep is KPJ over Trey Burke.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Gotta keep Green surrounded with capable defenders. Plus Smith can play the 5 so Green Smith and Eason.

jcmoon and Believe It! like this.
  7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Hypothetical questions are not a thing in the GARM?

:eek:

LOL.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Green, Jabari & Sengun. Pretty easy for me and cannot believe after the Euro cup that not more people are sold on Sengun. Those passes and his ease in the post alone are worth more right now than potential in Tari & head case question marks for KPJ.

aaquaa, fchowd0311, fattz and 2 others like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WE are all nobodies and not making the decision - ...come on now....I know you are a DD hater.......but at least get it right.

DD

Believe It! likes this.
  10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

True. We only know what we've watched and read. It was mainly a question on what 3 would fit best together, if we had to choose. What we foresee based on their expected ceilings.

For me it's Jalen, Jabari and Tari. A potential scoring leader needs two 3&D studs.

Now if we land another top 5 pick next year that might change. There's also a chance Sengun takes it to another level and makes me feel stupid for ever doubting him.

11. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Green is obviously #1, and Jabari has to be #2 for now, because we haven't seen him in an NBA game and he was also a Top-3 pick, which by extension makes him a "projected" cornerstone with Green until proven otherwise.

Sengun/Eason are next. Both were picked in the teens, but we've actually seen Sengun on the floor, so I get why he'd get more votes. I think Eason might be the X-Factor for us (moving forward), in that we have a pretty small team, and having a physical/aggressive 6'8" guy who plays bigger than his size at the 3 might help to make up for Sengun's size/athleticism limitations and Jabari's more finesse game (though I do like his defensive versatility).

A lot of this rides on Sengun's ability to shoot too -- if he can become a semi-consistent threat, it would open up more lanes for Green/Eason etc, but most importantly, it make the P&R much more deadly, and a centerpiece of our offense. If he can shoot, it would not only add another pick/pop threat (which I'm assuming Jabari will be the main beneficiary of), but it would allow him to make more passing decisions from the top-of-the-key while keeping a defender on him -- which is huge because he's probably our best natural passer right now.

KPJ is obviously #5 unless he spent the summer doing ayahuasca in an Amazonian hut with John Stockton and Magic Johnson, acquiring some PG skills via some type of spiritual transference.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Green and Smith were east picks. Was hard choosing between Eason and Sengun. I love Al P, but Eason is just too enticing for his D next to Smith alone.

Believe It! likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

You can say about a lot of players that adding a 3pt shot would change their trajectory but with Sengun there’s a bigger formula you think about: points creation.

In general if you’re not taking midrange jumpers and you’re efficient under the basket plus hitting open 3’s, you will be one of the most efficient players in the NBA. You can check this yourself. Even Collin Sexton has been able to ride this formula to an offensive efficiency that’s hard to match. The problem with Sexton is that he’s a negative on defense (which hammers your on-court impact dramatically) and mediocre assist man, so he’s only worth around $10-15m overall.

Sengun though is more like a James Harden shot profile just replacing the perimeter isos with post moves and roll-action. Or you can say a Jokic minus the midrange game, with more defensive mobility and likely lesser passing. An efficient post game is dramatically superior to midrange as a fallback shot, that’s going to lift the floor of his efficiency tremendously and make him very consistent. Might not reach a Harden or Jokic level but similar shot profile.

That’s why I see his potential so high. Because he can put up 20+ points and 5+ assists on high efficiency while pulling down 10 rebounds and blocking 1.5 shots. There’s no way that doesn’t translate to a star-level net positive as long as he’s an average rim protector. Everything we’ve seen thus far points to him being that at minimum, unlike the early careers of a Sabonis or Harden or Sexton.

It’s really encouraging to me that Silas was shocked last season by Sengun’s low 3pt%. It’s really encouraging to me that his FT% was skewed due to stamina issues and he’s likely going to end up hitting almost 80% of those based on his early career.

If it happens, we’re going to have another star on our hands. Can’t wait to see him after training camp and a few weeks, paired with Jabari/Garuba/Tari.

#33 Mathloom, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    aaquaa, jcmoon, AlperenSengun and 2 others like this.
  14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Smith and Green for sure, probably Sengun as the third but Eason is a close 4th.

aaquaa, Believe It! and Joe Joe like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I was thinking Sengun but Eason name got typed out because I was debating putting him there.

Believe It! likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

My vote is in post #16 on first page.

If Rockets don't give Porter an extension pre opening night then the Rockets
    made their bed.

Doubt the Rockets give KPj the market price of $25 M for the numbers he will
    put up this season. Instead go cheap with moving either Green or JC
    to the point.

Or draft a cheap rookie contract in Scoot Henderson or Nick Smith.

Point is, it's not because Porter will be bad......he will shine next to
    Doncic and in the Mavs roster. Mavs are my running bet to poach
    KPj from us (Rockets).

LTS wins most of the time with this organization.

Will see if the Rockets draft Wembanyama and if Sengun gets pushed
    to 6th man coming off the bench? If his Sengun Only Fans like that?
    Lacking a 3-pt shot just might do that. I would go Jabari-Wembayama at
    the 4-5 spots. Sengun still isn't hitting 3's as he shot 13% in this Euro tournament.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I love Sengun but if we draft Wemby he can either play the 4 or ride the bench, get traded for other assets, etc. I'm betting in any of those scenarios he will be more useful than KPJ, and I like KPJs potential if he ever gets his head right.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's been a bad week for KPJ fans. There's like 3 threads cleverly disguised to crap on him.

xtruroyaltyx and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

If you watch the video I posted, it talks about what I've been saying about vanilla offense last season.....how Silas will add screens, movement and put KPj and Green in the best situations.
    Moving towards the rim.

I was critical of KPj defense yr one with us...
    last year he picked it up to where he was
    guarding best opponent in the 1,2 or 3 spot.

The other two flaws: 1) FT's and 2) dribbling
    more than 6 dribbles.

1) KPj shot about 83% when Wood did not play.
    KPj plays looser when Wood is gone.....and Wood
    is gone from the team.

2) easy fix with more dribble handoffs, weave, pass across court to cohort (Green/JC) vs
    weaker defender. These are things by design
    not featured last year.
    Jabari was #3 pick that will be shooting 3's.
    Starter. Good luck to Sengun. The best post up players in Embiid or Jokic receive post touches
    around 6 a game. Not really a need for that inefficient play type.

clos4life likes this.