1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So will you be okay if he measures 5’”11”?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you don't think by my list that I'm discounting CJ. I love the kid but I just don't see that twitch when he has to improvise. However, if the Texans were to draft him, I would have no quorums.

He reminds me of a more accurate Dak Prescott.

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If we get Anderson and Levis, this team will be good faster than most think

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. sydmill

sydmill Member

I would spend the remaining 2023 draft capitol on O-line and defense. In the 2024 draft I would load up on the sexy skill positions and then fill the remaining holes in the roster via free agency in 2024 when I think the Texans would be competitive. And sustainable.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Qan

Qan Member

Cunningham? I dont know about that...maybe..but look at him. Does he even weigh 180lb?

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

Anyways...what about spending this upcoming draft to get Anderson (#1 pick) and center, or LT/Center, then get Caleb next year since most likely Texans still have chance at high pick again.

7. gucci888

And there is a reason why franchises spend YEARS continuously looking for QBs, its not an exact science. Outside of Kyler, every QB drafted in the 1st round have been 6'0"+. They all have good arms, can make all the throws, accuracy, etc... You have Heisman winners, champions, record holders, etc...Yet half of them never see 2nd contract from the team that drafted them. And that rate goes down substantially outside the 1st round.

Yes ideally you'd want a QB built like Andrew Luck. But if you are passing on talent because of a few inches, you are just as likely drafting a Blake Bortles, Trubisky, Haskins, or EJ Manuel.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I can see this as well with the Texans still continuing to build up the defense…and then being patient with drafting a QB especially since we have tons of draft capital moving forward if there is a QB the Texans like.

The incoming QB will be set up for more immediate success.

My only concern is being able to afford to keep all the guys we are drafting. If our defense has a core of

Stingley
    Pitre
    Anderson
    Harris

We must keep them all together for a long time

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t be opposed to this. There’s 3 QBs I would take from that draft so far. Williams, Ewers and Maye.
    Maye has most upside of them

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

You don't draft a QB high just to draft a QB, you draft him because you think he's The Guy.

I'd have no issues with them doing something like you mention, it just depends on how the draft board and their evaluations play out. It's way early to really have much of an opinion.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not at all - not singling you out or your preferences. Just noticing a narrative in these conversations across all platforms. Young seems to be given more credit due to "lack of weapons" and some notion that athletically he's more gifted than Stroud. Neither one of them is "dual threat" type guy who routinely make plays with their feet so if pocket passer is who they are I'd just prefer one that can see over the OL and not have to alter release point(s) in the NFL. The typecast of not trusting OSU QBs is also one that I dont put as much stock in as others. I think Stroud is the #1 QB this year, but not locked into him to the point where I couldnt see a path with another prospect.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

In
    At ASU, he was around 185lbs - 190lbs, I think now he's closer to 200lbs. When the draft comes I think he should be closer to 205lbs

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Texans NEED to draft a QB out of this class, especially if they feel he can be a starter for 10yrs or more. Don't want to end up being the Colts; a good team searching for a QB yr in and yr out!

Take care of the #1 position first and deal with everything else later.

Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The 3 QBs in the last 40 years......under 6'0'' have had some success in the NFL. THREE.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. gucci888

So are you calling your shot on Bryce Young that will be a bust? Or that you want Levis over him?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. showa13

showa13 Member

The QB class next year is starting to look much better than this years. Williams has completely grown on me.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

For my money, give me Anderson and Levis in the 2023 draft along with O line and defensive help and then target TreVeyon Henderson and a wide receiver in 2024. That would form a Levis-Henderson-Marvin Harrison Jr (just one option) trio playing on the cheap for 4 and 5 seasons behind a retooled o line and along side a solid defense. Lot of projection in there but sounds good.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

PoOn
    I could live with that idea too but either way the Texans have to come out of this draft with a QB everyone feels good about....NO MORE D. MILLS

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

As I said before, I know nothing about Levis. Why would I want him? NFL scouts have mentioned his name. I also said, I don't pay attention to college QBs until December.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So if by December Bryce Young on verge of winning back to back Heisman trophies then what??

Fulgore likes this.